X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refreshing thing

Let's speak about unrealistic wishes...

I did an update to customers site few days ago. Pure code, simple pages, just some new information. Today customer came and said that site is quite ok, just change part of text bigger. So bigger fontsize. Okay, I can do it, but then...

"You know, people usually don't know to refresh the page when they have it open all the time, so is there a way to tell them to refresh a page? So they would see the new information right away."

"Um... (You could call them?) Well, I really don't know a way... If you like, I can set a message to the page, but would that do any difference...?

I need coffee. Strong coffee to clear my head.

What about an autorefresh script?
    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

You could write a piece of software that automatically reaches out over the internet and installs it's self into the customer's machines, and only their machines, and forces them to refresh the page.
      ;-)

Either that or build a time machine and reach back into time to make the changes before people even loaded the page originally?
      Not y3k compatible

Comment

Most people already know how to refresh a page & those that don't, they'll learn...lol.

Comment

Put this in the <head>:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="300">

Content is the number of seconds.
          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
            Put this in the <head>:

The they would complain how either the webpage refreshed on it's own or you gave them a virus.

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
              Put this in the <head>:

Thanks. That helps a lot. (So I'm gonna suprise someone...)

I'm not good with code, I'd rather use some content management and do pages with it. But now I was forced to use vi and write code. And reading this 1½" book "HTML for beginners" to get things going well...

Comment

IS RSS still around, I never really use it I just know it supposed to inform you or something of that nature when something is added, and well realistically, who just leaves the page open and doesn't refresh at some point and would it be that big a deal, I mean it isn't Ebay with up to the second bidding is it?
                I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
                  You could write a piece of software that automatically reaches out over the internet and installs it's self into the customer's machines, and only their machines, and forces them to refresh the page.
                  I'd rather write something...that would smack them upside the head as it refreshes the page Seriously though, many financial services sites automatically refresh themselves as new stocks/bonds are added to their listings.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Just try to make sure everything you're refreshing is on the same page. Nothing is more aggrivating than being a few pages into a scrolling flash table, finding what I was looking for, then the site auto-updates, and drops me back at the top of the scrolling bit. It makes me wish for...unpleasant things to happen to the designer.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Can I add that I hate auto refresh? Normally people set it way too low and like the person above I either lose the point I was at on the page or end up having it distract me whilst it refreshes if I'm in another tab at the time.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                      X