Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Major Charles Emerson Winchester III (David Ogden Stiers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Major Charles Emerson Winchester III (David Ogden Stiers)

David Ogden Stiers has passed away at age 75.

He was a cousin of my high school band director.
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-05-2018, 02:33 AM. Reason: please include real name too
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

May he rest in peace v_v
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One of the things I liked about the Winchester character was the dichotomy that granted a surprising level of depth. He always perceived himself as a cultured person, far above the riff-raff that he had to deal with. Then you see him caring for the patients beyond what was expected, being compassionate toward the other staff, and not above participating (and instigating in more than one case) practical jokes and prank wars. This was reciprocated by the other staff in that while they saw him as an arrogant, stuck up, self-centered twat like Burns before him, unlike Burns, they did respect his ability and could actually have some relaxed moments with him.

I do have to stress that this was the character. The actor was much more down to earth and straight shooter than the character was. The actor was much closer to the Pierce character in real like than Alan Alda was for example.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I still remember the episode with the stuttering soldier and the soldier only able to play piano with his left hand. Those were absolute gold.

I feel like once Potter and Winchester were settled, that's where the crew really felt like they fit together best.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          I feel like once Potter and Winchester were settled, that's where the crew really felt like they fit together best.
          Well the early seasons (with Blake and Burns) were basically extending the film. It's fine in theory but it puts a shelf life on the series. Larry Linvelle (Burns) left the show because of that. He felt there was nowhere to go with the character without radically changing him into something completely different.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Out of all the actors that left the series early, Larry Linvelle was the only one that said he had no regrets because he felt like he took Burns as far as you could take it. That's one thing I liked about MASH was it showed a natural progression of an organization by having some characters rotate in and out. Granted, that wasn't by design, as actors choose to leave the show and new ones came in, but they way they did worked well. They didn't try to replace the original part with the same character type, but someone who was completely different.
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

When I was younger, watching reruns of MASH, I never really saw the whole series in order but I knew Henry Blake was gone. I didn't know what happened to his character though. So when I was watching the episode where he gets to go home I was so happy then BAM crying like a little baby.

I really liked Charles' character, and often felt the other guys were too mean to him. At least with Frank, I thought he brought it on himself. When he first is assigned to the 4007th, he has to learn not to be such a perfectionist, like he could at a cushy hospital. And he was so terribly stuck up at first. But he adapted. He grew, and I thought he was great. Looking at people's comments about him online, I'm surprised, I had no idea so many people agree with me. It's weird, to agree with the internet.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X