This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession? What Recession!

If there's a recession going on, it's not in my office! In fact, it's so busy, we're now working six days a week--by force!
    Any of you also experiencing this?

There was a short "recession" at my company in late winter of '09, where we fired all the temps and had reduced hours for two months.

Ever since last June, we've been on mandatory overtime almost every single week. I mean, non-stop, even required weekends.

The factory has not shut down for any holidays since last summer. They've demanded volunteers to work and keep the plant open. They have even threatened on certain weekends to make a mandatory shift if they don't get enough volunteers.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

There has been a few times where we're short on hours, but then we turn around and make /$1000 over plan because it got so busy. I dunno, it comes in spurts.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I'm getting busier and busier but that's because they're getting rid of other people and giving me their work.

The company I work at posted a nice profit last quarter and manufacturing is working weekends again when this winter they had gone down to 2 shifts (instead of 3). Doesn't mean they've stopped laying people off, though.

Comment

Actually I didn't expect it to be this busy over the weekend. Today and yesterday was slow but Saturday till Monday is insanely busy. They tried to get me to work but no way, I need a break from dealing with my coworkers. Not sure how busy it will be after this weekend will be but we are slowly picking up more clients.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Sales at the swamp are in the tank and hours are slim.

Then again, this seems to be what normally happens. We generally make or beat sales from January to about May or so, fall off in summer (even during BTS), and then by October or so we're generally back to beating sales goals.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My roommate lost his job a few weeks ago. He went on unemployment while waiting for his severance package to be approved. (There was some conflict.) The day after his severance was approved, he was hired by another company for a similar salary. He made out like a bandit.

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Sales at the swamp are in the tank and hours are slim.

Then again, this seems to be what normally happens. We generally make or beat sales from January to about May or so, fall off in summer (even during BTS), and then by October or so we're generally back to beating sales goals.
                Irv I'm in a similar boat. Like you our hours are lower and sales have been down a bit, but customer traffic is actually UP (our prices are lower, that's why sales performance is down despite the steady stream of customers). So we have been busy but have been getting LESS hours to deal with it. It's not just out store it's most of the stores in our area and the vast majority of employees are not that pleased with the situation.

Oh yeah, as a result of the hour cuts...shrink is going up. Shocking
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

My factory recently took on a new client and as a result will be getting so much business that we're adding another wing to the building. So... no recession here.
                  Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

We can't complain either, sales are no worse than before. The only thing we've noticed is a shift from the more expensive toys to less expensive ones. We've adjusted our range, so we're fine, recession or not.
                    The recession has delayed our expansion plans a bit, but that's it.

I'm more worried about the pirates in the Strait of Malacca and of the Somali coast, our containers from China are shipped through these areas. It's not fun when the shipping company calls and tells you that the containers will be late. And of course shipping costs are a lot higher because of that.
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I haven't seen it, but then my primarily clients for the papers i deliver are effectively recession proof, Apartment Finder and The Real Estate Book. No matter how bad the economy is, either people need a place to live, or they need to unload houses, either way, they're buying ads from us. In fact Tues was a 24hr work day for me, its that busy.
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Well, I work at a fabric store. Recessions are good for us. More people repairing things and learning new skills. Granted, fabric gets expensive but if you've got the time, why not?
                        "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Summer is somehow slow for paid third-party tech support.

Comment

Quoth Jack View Post
                            Summer is somehow slow for paid third-party tech support.
                            Yeah, but wait till it's Back to school season then Christmas and you'll get tons of people with their new 'puters and the like.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'm on summer vacation, myself. I was expecting to have yet another major surgery, but ended up with only a minor one. Too late to pick up any classes, so I'm "relaxing," and dealing with family.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X