This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work/rest environment

Following my thread about taking food to work, i was wondering what your rest area at work is like?

Whereas we have nice desks and furniture on our work floor, our break rrom is tired, no cooker or microwave, fridge is in a state and should be condemned, it smells. chairs are tired. The room is very light and airy but reminds you of a hospital, clinical, with tiles on the floor.

There is nowhere to buy food nearby on a half hour lunch break and get back in that time and eat it.

we can store food in cupboards and we have a kettle and a toaster so we could brig bread and make toast,l i have never seen anyone do that.I do make hot drinks at work, sometimes i have one of those soups in a cup.

Work does sell basic snacks, but its coke, cookies, chocolate only, no really nice thing to eat.Ocassionally a sandwich but only half a dozen or so on sale which get sold quickly.

I dont really like to take my break in the break room.

what is your break room like at work?
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

One plastic table, 3 chairs and a minifridge.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

If i had a company i would give the workers nice rest facailities, after all, if they have a proper break, then they can work better.

so proper clean kitchen area, arrange for a local food shop to take and deliver orders, wifi, television or radio, shower rooms for whe it is so hot and there is no air conditioning, ice machine.
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

we have a subsidised staff canteen with hot food and drinks,but then again I do work in a national supermarket and just to brag a little more we are getting a free meal on thursday to celebrate winning retailer of the year.
        "Light a fire for someone and he will be warm all day,
        set light to someone and he will be warm for the rest of his life" Sir Samuel Vimes

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.

Comment

We have a coffee maker...

Comment

4 microwaves, chairs and tables, plastic cutlery. When food is marked to be thrown away (it isn't bad, but will be going bad in the next few days), or when we get delivered something we don't sell, employees can eat it.

Comment

At my last temp job we had a sweeeeeeet dinner room with a huge buffet. My job before that had a nice "kitchen" with fridge, microwave, a little stove and a coffee maker - in addition to that was a room with tables, TV and a Wii. We were also able to buy hot meals and/or sandwiches at a nearby canteen if/when we didn't bring our own lunch.
              A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

That is pretty awesome. I'd love a break room like that, as well as such a policy. I can't eat hammers that are about to expire. (Hardware Store)

My break room, let's see... It has a whole bunch of lockers in it for peoples' stuff. A single 6x3 plastic folding table with three chairs around it and a bench against the wall that used to be outside. A minifridge, a microwave on a shelf, with randomly placed cutlery and those packets of ducksauce/hotsauce/soysauce from Chinese takeout restaurants, and a lot of the napkins and left-over plasticware from the very same. There are bulletin boards with plenty of workplace policies lining the walls, and in the corner is a lot of old gobbletygook from past ... I Don't even know what to call it. Radios, old TVs used to display training videos that are never used, wires and cables and shelves and junk.

We have a pretty nice waterfountain at the base of the stairs going up to the break room and offices, and a vending machine near the restrooms. Most people just go to the local convenience store a block away, or order out. I love ordering out. ._.'
                SC: "Are you new or something?"
                Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

The breakroom at the swamp is downright depressing.

Three long tables with four chairs apiece, a flat-screen TV hooked up to rabbit ears that only gets two channels, one microwave, one disgusting refrigerator, and a couple vending machines that eat your money half the time you use them.

And it almost never gets cleaned unless employees clean it. The cleaning person is supposed to sweeping and mopping the floor, but he/she almost never does this.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We have a tiny breakroom. We have a fridge full of horrors (people put things in it but never take them out), a microwave, and a coffee maker. We just got a computer (that I'm on!) that we can surf the 'Net on.

Mostly, though, it's crowded. Everything's buried under Lost & Found. Pillows, luggage....it's amazing how much crap people leave behind when they check out. We can't fit it all in the cabinet, so it ends up all over the breakroom.

Also, the "creative" paint job in here is atrocious. The old GM thought it would "look cool" to do this weird sponge-painting on the walls. It really looks like crap. (no matter how clean you can get the break room or back office, it will always look cluttered as long as we have that paint job)
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Re smelly fridges:

Discard anything you wouldn't eat.

Scrub with dishwashiing detergent.

Go over it again with vinegar.

Go over it again with carb soda in water.

Leave a small container of carb soda in the fridge as an odor neutraliser.

It works surprisingly well.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ours is pretty nice actually. One thing I can give management credit for is that they really believe in giving us a nice place to take a break. Here's the run down.

New hardwood floor.
                        Painted once a year.
                        8 4-seat tables with nice chairs.
                        Full size industrial fridge.
                        High power microwave.
                        On-demand coffee machine.
                        Hot and cold filtered water machine.
                        Soda machine.
                        Milk/juice/cold snack machine.
                        Regular snack machine.
                        Full array of condiments for food.

It also gets cleaned three times a day and every Friday afternoon everything in the fridge is thrown out unless it has a name and date on it (and the date has to be less than a week old).

Comment

We have a break room all the way in the back of the store, as far as possible from the doors and time clock, up a flight of stairs and down a hall. It takes so long to get back there that no one ever bothers to use it. But inside there are three small tables with 2-3 chairs each, a microwave, and a never-used never-cleaned coffee pot.

Most of us just use the microwave in the produce back room and sit outside at some picnic tables on the sidewalk. But there are two sets.

One set has two stone tables out in the open sunlight. If it rains you get wet, if not you're sweating. They're also uncomfortable and usually covered in bird droppings and chewing gum.

The other set has three wooden tables under a roof. But there's a trash can right next to them, and the whole area is coated in a layer of spilled grease and food-grime, which isn't helped at all by the local high school kids sitting there to eat pizza all the time, as we share our plaza with a Little Caesar's. So not only is it nasty and kind of smelly all on it's own, it usually features swarms of flies and plenty of ants.

Also, unless you want to eat candy or chips, or have the time to get something from frozen foods and microwave it, your only real choices for food are fried chicken from the deli or the aforementioned Little Caesar's, both of which make me sick to my stomach at this point.
                          » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

We don't have a break room. We have a mini fridge and microwave in our office, and some condiments and salt and pepper in a desk drawer. We also have a pop and candy machine in the little hallway outside our office.

We also have a cafeteria, which I never eat at, because they are closed during my shift. They do have a nice selection of vending machines though.

One vending machine is filled with all sorts of drinks, everything from energy drinks to green tea. It also sells bottles of Coca-Cola products.

Then we have another vending machine that is filled with frozen dinners, ice cream sandwiches and popsicles.

Then we have another vending machine which has deli sandwiches, yogurt, fruit cups, mini pizzas meatball subs and little stuff like that.

Then we have a hot drink machine, that makes everything from hot chocolate to french vanilla cappuccinos.

Then we have a vending machine, that carries snack stuff, a Coca-Cola vending machine and a Pepsi vending machine. There are also a couple microwaves next to the vending machines so you can heat your food up.

Comment

Don't have a breakroom in my store. Hell, all the paperwork and the safe and everything is in the front of the store, the office isn't even used.

It's creepy having to do the cash drawers and deposit right there in front of the window but, eh, what can I do about it?
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X