X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From the Nightshift

Hey everyone.........
    Does every retail store pull this kind of thing?
    I was scheduled to work on Sunday July 4th starting at my usual overnight time of 10:00 PM My week give or take a day usually Does normally start at 10:00PM on Sunday and thru to Wednesday or Thursday. Friday thru Sat is usually time off.
    Just looked at my paycheck and even tho I worked Sunday night and Monday I only got Holiday pay for 2 hrs. I was under the mistaken impression that Monday is the legal holiday for July 4th. Am I wrong here? I really don't know if I'm entitled to 8 hours holiday pay since I was off Sat night?
    Anyone know?????
    Somehow I think that this comes under the same regulations as no frezzie refills because it cost the company 10 million dollars last year

It depends on whether your company follows Federal Holiday Regulations. Mine doesn't, so we don't get holiday pay. My fiance's does, but they're closed on Federal Holidays, so he doesn't get holiday pay (the company works with state & federal offices & embassies, so there's no point to working). Check the employee handbook to see what it says about holidays.

Comment

Around here (and I know, your local laws are different), the holiday is only on the weekday if you would normally not work weekends. If you work weekends normally, then they don't have to give a weekday off instead (or change when you get holiday pay).

Comment

When I was working nights for K-grocers they always had us wait until midnight Thanksgiving and Christmas nights so they didn't have to pay the whopping one to two hours (per person, of course) of holiday time. So as the others have said, you'd have to check with your individual set up, but it sounds like what I'd get here.

Comment

At my store, Team Leads will get that paid holiday, even if they work on that day (they can get up to 48 hours and it won't be overtime). If you're not a Team Lead and you work that holiday, you get time and a half.

Comment

My place is the same. You get holiday pay only if you worked the actual holiday day, even if the day after or the day before was "celebrated" as the holiday. Its always been that way for me.

I would second the checking of the employee handbook. Though I dont think that this practice is illegal in any aspect.

Comment

I think it also depends how your store classifies the work day. If they consider 7am to be the start of the workday, then someone working at 5am may not start earning holiday pay until 7. Unless it's clearly defined by labor law (check your local county/state laws), companies can pretty much do whatever they want regarding holiday pay.

If you're comfortable with it, you might ask your HR department about holiday pay. After all, your shift started on the holiday, so why didn't the entire shift qualify? I honestly wouldn't expect a favorable answer though. That's the cynic in me.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
              X