Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I guess a technical limitation is our fault now....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I guess a technical limitation is our fault now....

On Monday I logged into the survey site and saw someone gave me a 6 and gave this comment:

"I guess all the money I spent on a service contract was a waste."

Her issue? Her picture on her TV was rather fuzzy and not sharp. The reason? She didn't have HD service from her cable company. I told her the issue will clear up once she gets HD, she said, "I would but my cheap ass husband doesn't want to spend the extra money on what he calls hogwash." (her words, not mine LOL) I let her know even if we sent a tech out, he would tell her the same thing.

So not totally sucky, but I guess it's our fault now when someone (or their spouse) refuses to pony up the cash for a needed item.

I've experienced almost the exact same thing. I really wish people would bother learning at least the basics of the technology they are attempting to use instead of only bothering with the "push button and the box makes pictures!"...
    Bark like a chicken!

Comment

For some people the process appears to be:
      1. Buy random product that looks like it does what you want
      2. Derp
      3. If it works, happyface, otherwise try to return it.

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
        For some people the process appears to be:
        1. Buy random product that looks like it does what you want
        2. Derp
        3. If it works, happyface, otherwise try to return it.
        There's plenty of derp in that for sure!
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Once upon a time, we had b/w TV's.

One of the best April Fools ever was when they told that as Color TV broadcasts are on trial there was an easy way to see Color TV on your existing b/w set. It would be a bit less sharp, but fully viewable.

- "Just take a nylon stocking, put it over the screen, and Voilá - Color TV"...

I think over half of the population got fooled...

Comment

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
            Once upon a time, we had b/w TV's.

One of the best April Fools ever was when they told that as Color TV broadcasts are on trial there was an easy way to see Color TV on your existing b/w set. It would be a bit less sharp, but fully viewable.

- "Just take a nylon stocking, put it over the screen, and Voilá - Color TV"...

I think over half of the population got fooled...
            I grew up with a black and white tv and never heard that one...course now I have a huge HDTV and HD service from cable and it looks awesome
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

An update to this:

Our new survey site lets you dispute the survey if the customer gives you low marks (less than a 7). So I disputed it saying her "issue" was not having the right type of cable service and even if I sent the tech out he would have said the same thing, and that I didn't deserve a 6.

Well QA looked over the call and - holy smokes - agreed with me. The customer bitched that the service plan should cover this and like I told her, it doesn't cover technical limitations and QA backed me up on what I told the customer. Simply put, the SC needs to stop being a cheapskate (note: QA didn't say that, but I bet they were thinking it).

But they did manage to get one jab at me: they said I should be mindful of "technical jargon" I say to the customer. How can you dumb down "high definition" to a customer?

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                How can you dumb down "high definition" to a customer?
                "Big, pretty picture."

Comment

"It's Shiny!!!"

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                    But they did manage to get one jab at me: they said I should be mindful of "technical jargon" I say to the customer. How can you dumb down "high definition" to a customer?
                    Sharp, crisp, not fuzzy picture.

Yes, I had (and still have to in fact) "dumb it down" like that a LOT.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      Perhaps "Aitch Dee Tee Vee" might have worked? They've probably seen those four letters somewhere, in the ad for the TV set or on the box if nowhere else, even if they have no idea what they stand for. Contrast that with "regular tee vee" and they may get something of the idea.

I wonder how many other terms, and especially corporate names, have turned into initialisms such that hardly anyone under 30 (in some cases 40) remember what they actually stand for, and kids don't even know that they stood for anything at all? I mean my 4-year-old kid knows that a "seedee" is a round thing that has music on it, and a "deeveedee" is a different kind of round thing that has movies on it. He has no idea that these aren't even words, just initials, although he WILL learn this.

Off the top of my head:

Compact Disk
                      Digital Video Versatile Disk (spit)
                      Automatic Teller Machine
                      Personal Identification Number
                      International Business Machines
                      Personal Computer
                      American Telephone & Telegraph
                      Microwave Communications Inc (OK, they went under years ago)
                      Southern Pacific Railroad INTernal
                      Columbia Broadcasting System
                      Japan Victor Corporation
                      Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer
                      American Automobile Association
                      Video Home System (Give it a few more years and the kids won't even know this existed in the first place)
                      Consumer Value Stores

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        I wonder how many other terms, and especially corporate names, have turned into initialisms such that hardly anyone under 30 (in some cases 40) remember what they actually stand for, and kids don't even know that they stood for anything at all? I mean my 4-year-old kid knows that a "seedee" is a round thing that has music on it, and a "deeveedee" is a different kind of round thing that has movies on it. He has no idea that these aren't even words, just initials, although he WILL learn this.
                        Don't forget these acronyms from the depths of antiquity:

RAdio Detection And Ranging - RADAR (1940)

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation - LASER (1959)

NAtional BIScuit COmpany - NABISCO (1901)
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

TASER = Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle

Dead serious here folks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swi...Electric_Rifle
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                            TASER = Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle

Dead serious here folks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swi...Electric_Rifle
                            And you can find the original book here, along with Tom Swift's other adventures.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

NECCO = North Eastern Candy COmpany

Hah! Tonight's Modern Marvels, on Electric Shock, features the TASER, and confirmed your acronym.
                              Last edited by Dragon_Dreamer; 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X