This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Widow

I've got a long background on this. Even though recent events prompted this post, it's the whole history that gives the recent events flavor.

We've had this mortgage loan customer - let's call him Darren - for at least ten years. He originally worked for one of the mines, but got laid off from that and never went back. He got his nursing degree and worked for a series of hospitals, clinics, and nursing homes. I don't think he held down a job for longer than a year in the past five.

I've probably mentioned him in other threads. My first introduction to him, back before I was even a loan assistant, was seeing him go to the lender's desk to give her an update on his work situation. He was a large man, both tall and wide, and he spent the whole time at the lender's desk spitting into a Coke can. I kept glancing over and seeing the disgusted look on her face. He was either used to such looks, or he was oblivious. Darren had issues paying his loan, in part because he was frequently out of work, but also in part because of his partying ways. He would be unemployed but out at the beer garden at one of the local festivals. I heard rumors that he was abusive towards his wife - let's call her Sandy - but I don't know how much of that was true. He was verbally abusive to employees when they called him about his past due payments.

Earlier this year, Darren's home loan became so far past due, that we were ready to sic the lawyer on him to start the foreclosure process. But Darren found a way to stop us - he died. In fact, he died five days before his Absolute Last Day to Pay listed in the pre-foreclosure letter.

Naturally, that put everything on hold. We would have given Sandy a couple weeks to grieve, but she called us a week after Darren died. I expressed my condolences, of course, but I needed to know what her plans were. At first, she said that she was planning to sell the house, so I told her we would continue to work with her as long as she kept in contact with us. And then we didn't hear from her for a month. There was no answer and no answering machine at the house.

We decided that we had to send another pre-foreclosure letter to the last known address. Sandy got the letter and called, finally. She said her son was interested in buying the house. So I made arrangements to talk with her and her son. The son said he wanted to buy the house but was hesitant about having us pull his credit. (His excuse was something to do with a lease in process for his business.) Sandy said if her son decided not to buy the house, she might put it on the market. I told her that was fine, but she would still need to make monthly payments on the loan, which was past due four months at that time. She asked about refinancing into her name, except she didn't have any income to support a loan. In fact, she was staying with her daughter about half an hour away. I (gently) told them that we at least needed a plan before the pre-foreclosure letter expired.

That was Monday. I called Sandy, and she said her son had decided not to buy the house. She still wanted to put it up for sale, but she wasn't sure she could get enough to pay off the loan. She said there were "a lot of problems" with the house. (We knew the house was in rough shape, so this was no surprise.) She said there was poor water pressure in the house, and blamed the city for it. But she also said it had been like that for years. I offered to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure, where she would basically sign the house over to the bank. She asked how long she would have to get her belongings out of the house. I said a month if she does a deed in lieu. She said she didn't think that would be long enough.

Then she said she would talk to a realtor friend of hers about whether it would be likely that she'd be able to sell the house in a reasonable amount of time for enough to pay off the loan. When she called back today, she said her friend might have a lead on a buyer. And then she reiterated that she didn't think she could get all of her stuff out of the house in 30 days, even though she's not working.

Before Darren died, I didn't have much contact with Sandy. The loan was in his name, and she only had to sign the mortgage, so we only talked to him (not her) about the loan when it was past due. She seems a lot nicer than he was, but that impression is slowly slipping away. Each time I talk with her, she seems more not-all-there.
    Last edited by Ghel; 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Grief can make someone appear not-all-there. I don't know if that's what's happening or not, though.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

re: moving time

I don't know if it's just a house, or if there's property (thus outbuildings, possible vehicles, equipment, etc), but to me, if the bank is offering a way out take it. Work all day on it, get friends/relatives to help. Whatever you can. Plus, what if she put the house on the market at a low price and someone bought it right away? Closing takes about a month...

My parents have lived on the same property for about 30 years now, and it would take a lot to get them out in 30 days. But it's over an acre, has a large garage/shop, a second storage building, and just a huge amount of crap everywhere. Mom's not a full-on hoarder, as far as piles of newspapers and garbage goes, but she's a keeper. Everywhere is plastic storage, older cardboard storage, huge Costco style shelving units, etc. She's had both her parents and four siblings pass away, and she has an extremely hard time getting rid of any of their old things. Still, if she had to, I think with help she could get out in 30 days. Or at least sell some stuff or otherwise do something to get a bit more time.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

If she has no (or little) income, she's going to have trouble with two things: transporting her stuff, and finding a place to put it. Not everyone has someone willing or able to help with that. So I can see why it might take more than a month to make arrangements and then get her stuff moved out.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Between Sandy and Darren, they had five children (it was a blended family). Besides the son who was looking into buying the house, she also has the daughter that she's currently living with. She might be able to lean on her other children/stepchildren, too.

The main issues I have with her are that she didn't keep in touch with us about her plans with the house (though she seems to be getting better at that) and that she's been so wishy washy about what to do with the house. She said from the first call that she wanted to sell the house, but then it took over a month and much prompting to get her to contact a realtor.

The house itself is a two-story house in town with a small garage. I can understand that it's easy to collect a lot of stuff in a 2-person household (especially if there might still be stuff from the kids that's being stored), but she's not working. Sandy could be spending every day working on cleaning and packing the house, and she could get her kids to help her transport and store it. I'm trying to be sympathetic, but this loan has been an issue for at least ten years. If Sandy's not able to pay the loan, that doesn't leave the bank with much options.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            to me, if the bank is offering a way out take it
            Indeed, the deed in lieu does not have the impact to the credit rating that a full-blown foreclosure has. Even with a short sale, the forgiven amount of the loan can be excluded from taxable income when the property was a primary residence.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Sandy has agreed to do the deed in lieu of foreclosure. We're working with an attorney to get the documents drafted up. I told Sandy that one thing we'll need from her is an original death certificate for Darren. She left it in the night deposit this weekend.

I hesitate to update with this, since the only reason I'm updating is I feel the need to share the contents of his death certificate. Don't read on if you're squeamish.

Darren's immediate cause of death was necrotizing fascitis, also called flesh eating bacteria (though that's a misnomer). REALLY don't google that if you get nauseous easily. Underlying that was sepsis, diabetes, hypertension, and a host of other contributing conditions which were probably related to the above. The medical examiner even listed his alcoholic liver disease as a contributing condition.

This doesn't change our course of action. We still need to work with our attorney to draft the documents for the deed in lieu. But it shifts my perspective of what Sandy went through at the end of Darren's life. His last days must have been horribly painful. No one deserves to go through that, even if he was a horrible excuse for a human being. And no one should have to watch someone they love go through that.
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Darren's immediate cause of death was necrotizing fascitis, also called flesh eating bacteria (though that's a misnomer). REALLY don't google that if you get nauseous easily.
                No need to Google! Cracked has you covered :P

But man, that's horrible for Sandy. No wonder she's out of it.
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

That's a lot to deal with. She may have let depression overtake her. I would be a mess.

Comment

I'm even more relieved, now, to know that she can rely on her kids to help her through this.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Regardless of how they handled this loan, I feel very bad for these people. The children included.

Comment

I am not squeamish, but still, I know not to Google that. There are some pretty grim and horrible ways to die, that is near the top of the list.

I will pray for his family.
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                        X