This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Victory

It was VJ Day here in Rhode Island yesterday, which is still a legal holiday here. We weren't closed, but most doctor's offices were so - like every other Tuesday after a three day weekend - the pharmacy was a nightmare today.

I started work at 9:30am and worked until 8pm with one half hour break. There is no sitting in pharmacy, no standing around idly, no quick drink of water or bag of chips. You can barely run off to pee without bringing all forward progress to a grinding halt. The phone was ringing non-stop, the lines at the register and the drop off window were never-ending, and thanks to hours and staff cuts, there were only four of us at any given time to cover everything: phones, queue, drop off, register and production. And God help you if you needed back up.

And with the Busy comes The Suck.

Asshole Entitled Customer #1: Nail File Face
    NFF: "My name is blahblah and I'm here to pick up my meds."
    Coworker: "Okay, we're still working on those, it's been really busy today but we'll have them out for you asap."
    NFF: "Well why aren't they ready?"
    CW: "Well, we've been really busy today ma'am, I apologize, but we'll get those out as soon as we can."
    NFF: "This is ridiculous! I called them in over an hour ago!"
    CW: "I know ma'am, but we are REALLY BUSY right now and have been all day. We're doing the best we can."
    NFF: "Well how long does it take a person to fill meds?"

I've been standing at the register this whole time, ringing beside my coworker because there's a line up the vitamin aisle and - despite the fact that I am Production - I am her back up as well. I turn to look at Nail File Face.

Me: "Ma'am, I am the only person filling meds right now and, as you can see, I am waiting on people. It's been VERY BUSY! But I cannot bi-locate. I will finish your meds as soon as I can. There are a LOT of people waiting."
    CW; "it's true, ma'am - she's the only person filling and she's had to help me because IT'S BUSY."
    NFF: *sniffs in disdain, sits bony ass down to wait.*

Ironically, when her meds were finished 10 minutes later, she was chatting with a friend and was oblivious to us calling her name. We called her loudly THREE TIMES and she didn't notice. Finally, a customer had to lean in and yell: "HEY LADY! YOUR MEDS ARE READY!"

Asshole Entitled Customer #2: The Skeptic

This guy called in and gave me his name, insisting he had a refill of Ventolin on his profile.
    I try to pull up his profile.
    He's nowhere to be found.
    After about 5 minutes of back and forth, I find out he's been giving me his nickname, not his real name. And it wasn't like his name was William and he was saying "Billy" either. He's mid-Eastern and had a name like Mashashawashuyumakah and his nickname was Merpadlivaripadooh.

Me: "Okay, found it (you fuckwit, thanks for wasting my time). I can have that filled for you within the hour."
    Him: "An HOUR?!?!?!"
    Me: "Yes sir." (not offering an explanation, fuck you, try and guess like I just had to do with your goddamned name.)

Five minutes later, he's at the cash register. And there I am, ringing again, because the line will not go away.

Him: "Yeah the girl said it would be an hour but it never takes that long."
    Me: "It does tonight, sir. I am the girl who told you an hour, and we are ungodly busy right now. It's STILL going to be an hour because I am ringing at the register and not able to fill, and there are twenty customers ahead of you, and the phone is ringing, and there's seventeen more people in line behind you and when I SAY an hour I MEAN an hour!"
    Him: "I'll come back tomorrow."

Yeah, you do that. I'll be here and I'll still hate you.
    Last edited by Boomslang; 08-12-2015, 12:51 AM.

"Mashashawashuyumakah and his nickname was Merpadlivaripadooh" made me laugh so hard! :rollin:

At least you got a laugh out of it, but I feel you on this. My customers literally see my running, and yet don't get that they are going to have to wait. They also hear my walkie go off when I hit my button for help and then neither hear nor see anyone respond. But we'll get bad survey remarks or the customers will walk off angrily. And I'm not even selling anything they need. What I do sell are addictive substances, though: sugar and white flour. But they can go anywhere for that.

When I go to the pharmacy I tell them to take their time. I ask for a time estimate and never complain about it. And then I walk away to shop so they don't have a customer staring them down. They don't need that.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

An hour

You quote an hour?

The min time I am quoted by my pharmacy is three hours, you guys are fast.

And often I am offered early the next day as the best time to pick up my meds.

Your customers as spoiled rotten.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        Your customers as spoiled rotten.
        I work in one of the oldest and richest parts of Providence. Old money has its roots in Entitlement.

Comment

I'm impressed when my scrips take less than an hour (no controlled stuff, but I have a bunch), even when my pharmacy (inside a bigass store) is slow as hell. I just find something else to do until they're done sounds to me like yer kicking ass! ^_^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh, come on, when you're quoting an hour it's like Scotty quoting an hour and delivering in 20 minutes. At least that's what the SCs think.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I always fill mine on the phone. And I always always put it for the next day. I'll be damned if I make more work for someone else!!

Comment

^Didn't know you could do that! But then, most of my prescriptions have been the result of an ER visit, so they were not forseeable.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't necessarily get the opportunity to specify when I'll pick up when Bullseye texts me about DH's prescription refill, but I'm pretty sure they'll hold on to it for at least a few days once they've texted me that it's ready. Once I get that text, then we figure out going to fetch.

One short-notice prescription I had after massive dental work did take a little while, and I really felt pretty cruddy. Fortunately, too cruddy to really be a problem to the pharmacy staff. I just took root in the waiting area and went quietly woozy until they called me. DH was a bit more fidgety, but polite.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                    I always fill mine on the phone. And I always always put it for the next day. I'll be damned if I make more work for someone else!!
                    I fill mine either by phone or online (my regular meds come mail order every 90 days while my female problem meds are at the local Perfect Drugstore and I call those in when I'm ready to refill.)

If it's something I'm picking up, I'll usually wait for the drugstore to call to let me know they are ready for pick up.

And I'll rarely wait until I'm out . . . it's usually 2-3 days before when I'll call them in.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I refill mine online, too. Usually I choose a pickup date a couple of days out. And it can take a couple of extra days if I'm out of refills and the pharm has to contact my healthcare place to get a new scrip (it's all maintenance stuff).

Last time I refilled lancets, the pharmacist wondered if the off-the-shelf price was better. I didn't know so she checked. Turned out the ones off the shelf were two-fers that day, so I took the one she'd filled for me AND the last two boxes on the regular shelf. I'm set for a while on those And I wouldn't have known if she hadn't looked into it. She rocks!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Good deals on lancets and testing strips can be had online, as well (I use 'zon, mostly).
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Food Lady the wall of green offers a phone service. It's automated, you put your script in, the time you want it and pick up accordingly. My meds are prescriptions and refilled regularly so its beneficial to me. I can plan the refills around my paycheck.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Last time I refilled lancets,
                            Did you refill your New England Journal of Medicine at the same time?

For those not in the know, "Lancet" is the title of a British medical journal.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

And I'll rarely wait until I'm out . . . it's usually 2-3 days before when I'll call them in.

THIS right here is what is wrong with SCs today. You know you're almost out? Call the damn thing in!!!!! Don't be like the guy I've posted about before .....

9:30pm on a Sunday, when our pharmacy closes at 6pm. "I HAVE to have that medicine! You HAVE to go in there and get it for me!!!!!!!! If I don't have that medicine by 8am tomorrow I will DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really dude? You're out, you know you're out and will die in the morning, but you wait until 9:30pm on a Sunday to try to get it???????

Comment

Working...
                              X