Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're going to try "X let me do this!"...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're going to try "X let me do this!"...

...you might want to make sure the person was actually working the day you claim.

Had a doozy yesterday.

A guy on SCO waves me over "Why can't I use my card?!" I see the problem almost immediately. He's paying with EBT and his order contains a fresh rotisserie chicken. Hot food isn't covered by EBT except in declared emergencies. I quickly explain that the chicken is not covered.

SC: "That's bullshit! They're letting people use it at McDonald's! I was in here and did this the other day and the manager said you could override it for me!"
    I get S (shift lead), who tells the guy the same thing. Repeat above. Now D gets involved.
    D: "Sir, EBT does not and has never covered hot food. Who told you this?" [I have never heard of a way to override EBT regs short of keying prepared food in manually as grocery, which I will not do]
    SC: "The fat white guy told me the other day and he did it for me!"
    The "fat white guy" is Shithead...but couldn't have told SC anything as he's been on vacation for the past week.
    D: "He told you?"
    SC: "Yes! Can you override this for me?"
    D: "Why should I do that?"
    SC: "It's an emergency!"
    It is raining, but nowhere near what would constitute a statewide emergency.
    D: "Sir, the manager that you said did this for you was not working the other day. I cannot and will not break the program rules."

I'm betting SC heard about Shithead's reputation for giving away the store, and decided to try his luck. I'd never seen him around before.

SC drops a few F-bombs at me and shift lead and decides to return all his items...ohh, I'm scared now
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Huh. I guess different states do it different ways -- Down here, at all stores that take EBT, the computer figures out which items EBT applies to, and separates the charges automatically. i.e.: The cashier gives you the total (not knowing you're using EBT), you swipe the EBT card and it pays for eligible items only, then you swipe your normal card for the balance. If you have NO eligible items, it'll just skip the processing on the EBT part.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's what was happening here (should have clarified). The chicken wasn't covered, so it was showing as a balance due for the cost of that. Not rocket surgery by a long shot; most people would go "oh, ok" and pay cash for whatever wasn't covered.

Once an order has been partially paid using EBT, the only option is to void everything (the charge does not go through to the card until the final receipt prints but try explaining that to some people). That was an additional level of fun as I wasted a few minutes trying to tell buddy that the money was put back on his card (and got accused of double-charging him).

Comment

We can only hope there is a delay in getting the money put back on the card, serves douchebag right for being such as ass...

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          I'm betting SC heard about Shithead's reputation for giving away the store, and decided to try his luck. I'd never seen him around before.
          It's also likely this Sucktomer had been in on a day when you weren't in the store, been "ass-isted" by Shithead, and remembered his name for just such an occasion.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Indeed. Shithead usually works days and I'm not in until evenings, so it's entirely possible SC came in one day last month, conned Shithead into doing this (which could get him and the store in deeper shit if one of us drops a dime to the state) and then decided "hey, a manager did this for me so everyone else has to!"

Or he hasn't been in the store since the blizzard (when the rules were lifted) and assumes that's the way it always works. That wouldn't be the first time that's happened...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Down here, at all stores that take EBT, the computer figures out which items EBT applies to, and separates the charges automatically.
              I didn't have that option where I worked. It was an older, smaller store that never got scanners, so the cashier had to key in the prices manually. And since all you were doing was entering prices, the system had no way to determine which items were eligible and which ones weren't. So if someone didn't know to separate the items and tell the cashier ahead of time they were using food stamps (as it was called back then), you had to get a manager to void out all the non-eligible items and re-ring them in as a separate order. That happened more times than I want to remember.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My favorite is when they heat up one item on a sandwich (for example the bacon, or even just the bread) makes the sandwich into a hot item. Oh the arguments that ensue daily (but they let me do it at another location).

Comment

Where I work, if a customer uses a food stamp card (EBT), it'll automatically cover the food eligible items. If the customers has non food stamp eligible items, they use any of the following forms of payment: cash, check, debit, credit, or EBT Cash (which the cash section of the food stamp card).
                  My Fanfic Page
                  My Fiction Page
                  My Social Group
                  My Pet Social Group
                  My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working for a major mattress store chain, some co-workers and I came up with a brilliant way to handle the customers that pull that crap of wanting the same (stupidly low-priced) deal they got literally YEARS ago, and demand it, saying "Well, [Salesperson That Gave Stupidly Low Price Last Time] did it at that price for me last time!" Keep in mind, they usually pull this crap when the price has gone up in the intervening time period. They also try even harder on beds that are strictly price-controlled by the manufacturer, where we're only ALLOWED to go but so low.

As long as said salesperson no longer works at that same store location, and is either no longer with the company, or has transferred to another location some miles away, we'll say "Oh, so YOU'RE the person that got him fired for dropping the price too low!"

IF that salesperson still works at the same store location, or another one sufficiently close by, we'll instead say "Oh, so YOU'RE the customer that got him suspended for 2 weeks without pay and demoted for dropping the price too low!"
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

Some gas station/delis (very very common) back in NOLA have an interesting way around the "no hot food" thing. They'll have a customer buy a (custom made) po-boy or pizza, go up and pay for it at the register with EBT, and then heat it up in the oven and hand it over to the customer. After all, it's already been paid for at that point...

Probably not quite allowed (read: legal), but it's one of those things where any politician who cracks down on it would be rather unpopular, so ~_~
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X