This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests and Signs (Super Stupid)

So in the last two days the paving stones in the breezeway in front of my hotel are being painted. They did them one side at a time, so guests could still get in and out. The side that was wet was taped off, and the side that was dry wasn't. Now I sort of understand customers "missing" signs that say only certain things are discounted, exc. It's in their interest to argue, sometimes the clerk will give in rather than have them cause a scene (NOT OK behavior, just understandable from a logical perspective). I can even sort of understand ignoring "detour" signs, since finding another route involves more mental and / or physical effort.

I don't, however, understand what the benefit to the customer / guest is in ignoring "WET PAINT, please keep to LEFT side of sidewalk" signs. Jumping over the caution tape (we even had one guest move the chair it was attached to) and plowing right through is MORE effort, not less, and you just end up with paint on your shoes. So WHY do they do it?
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

What the Sign says

Caution: Wet Paint
    What the customer thinks it says:

We put this here to irritate and otherwise completely annoy you.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Yup. That, or "They just put that fake sign there to keep the rabble away, so I could have easier access to the hotel"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Yup. That, or "They just put that fake sign there to keep the rabble away, so I could have easier access to the hotel"
        I'm afraid you give the suckomers too much credit, Eric.

The reason they do that is the same reason a perfectly healthy person would wait in a drive-thru line wrapped around the building twice instead of going inside of the building with only 4 other customers.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
          I'm afraid you give the suckomers too much credit, Eric.

The reason they do that is the same reason a perfectly healthy person would wait in a drive-thru line wrapped around the building twice instead of going inside of the building with only 4 other customers.
          Because they're stupid?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Because they're stupid?
            You're absolutely right, but they're extremely lazy, too.

Comment

Is it possible to scatter some caltrops on the wet paint?

After-all you do have a caution tape already up.

Comment

Here's your sign :-D

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  Is it possible to scatter some caltrops on the wet paint?

After-all you do have a caution tape already up.
                  Just some jacks from the game, that way you can use plausible deniability and say, "Hmm.. looks like there was kid playing in the wet paint! Guess we'll have to find their parents!"
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Wasn't there a psychology study done using this as an example of the human need to confirm information for themselves? I remember something where they studied how putting a WET PAINT sign on something actually causes more people to touch or mess with it than if they'd just left the sign off.

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
                      Wasn't there a psychology study done using this as an example of the human need to confirm information for themselves? I remember something where they studied how putting a WET PAINT sign on something actually causes more people to touch or mess with it than if they'd just left the sign off.
                      Doesn't seem very plausible to me...

I mean, they actually read the sign? I dunno... :P
                      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Limescale View Post
                        I don't know about a study, but one of Murphy's Laws states it quite clearly:

"Tell a man there are 100 billion billion stars in the universe and he will believe you. Tell the same man that a park bench has wet paint on it and he will touch it to be sure."

Comment

"Tell a man there are 100 billion billion stars in the universe and he will believe you. Tell the same man that a park bench has wet paint on it and he will touch it to be sure."
                          I think this what I'm remembering then.

Comment

I don't think people see the signs and think anything at all. I mean, the sucky people. They just see where they want to go, and go there. The sign could say "area infested with killer bees!!!" And they'd still walk there because it's between point A and point B. Completely no idea of consequences, even short term ones. Simple Stupid as that.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                            X