This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to pull a fast one on bowling discounts

So, I coach a bowling league on Saturday mornings, which I enjoy doing. From time to time, the bowling alley will offer deals, particularly in the summer, where it's $1 per game, and fifty cents for shoes. Pretty good deal as games are often three or four times this amount, not to mention shoes.

A while back, this lady came in and approached the desk asking about the $1 per game deal. The guy at the desk told her that yes, each game is $1, and shoes are fifty cents to rent. After she confirmed this, she went out the door, yelled at someone to come in, and suddenly, about ten kids came through the door to bowl. However, this exchange almost made you want to slap this woman:

SC: OK, so each game is $1, and shoes are fifty cents. We want to play three games, so that means it will only cost me $3.50 for the whole thing, right?

Guy at counter: Um, no ma'am. The rates are for each person, per game. So, if you have ten people playing for three games, it's $30 for the games, and $5 for the shoes, with your total being $35.

SC: Your flyer doesn't say that! It says $1 per game, and fifty cents for shoes! It doesn't say here (while she's waving the flyer in his face) that it's per person!

GAC: No, ma'am, it doesn't. But, this and all bowling alleys normally charge per person on the prices.

SC: Fine, we're going to ABC Lanes then!

I would have loved to have called ABC to warn them about this lady being on the way, and what they should expect from her when she arrived. Not sure if they were having the same deals though.

That's cheaper than our league site. Games are free but shoes are $3.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Being so deliberately obtuse that there's no reason for the business to do anything to ever want your business is not generally a winning strategy.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        We I want to play three games, so that means it will only cost me $3.50 for the whole thing, right?
        If it said "I", that would be correct! It would cost one person $3.50 to play three games and rent shoes, yes? Just times that by the amount of people bowling, and you get your final price!

These people are why there is so much fine print nowadays. To try to stop some of these SCs. And the more fine print, the more people complain about the fine print, yet if you don't have the fine print they yell about it "not saying" they can't do something. Haha...
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          Being so deliberately obtuse that there's no reason for the business to do anything to ever want your business is not generally a winning strategy.
          Given how many people do that, it probably works more often than we'd think like.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I can understand her confusion, i had the same confusion when i started bowling again for the first time in i don't know how many years, but, my reaction to that was to shrug my shoulders and pay. Sure, went to another bowling alley next time, both for variety, and to see if it was a fluke (isn't), so i'm good with it. Someone is cheap, cheap, cheap me thinks.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

My cellular service advertises Smartphones for $XX.XX, but that doesn't mean unlimited smartphones for $XX.XX...people are ridiculous.
              "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
              -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Working...
              X