This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    In August? My doctor advises me to wait until October to get my flu shot since it will be more effective in the Winter months. Is there some medical reason for giving them in August? Or is it a corporate directive to increase sales?
    Definitely the latter. I don't get mine until October either.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Wasn't there a Dilbert story arc along those lines?

secretary with a crossbow
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        secretary with a crossbow
        Any relation to Hobo With A Shotgun?

Comment

I'm still laughing over the blowgun image. I told my sister about that and she said, "OK, drop your pants and bend over!" and then mimed doing the blowgun shot. I think we cracked up for at least 10 minutes over that.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My dad had a Navy doc that tossed the hypodermics like darts... No anticipation, just *!surprise!*.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

A couple years ago, the head pharmacist at the swamp tried to power-trip down the idea that any employees who got a flu shot through the pharmacy should get an extra 15-minute break.

Management shot that idea down fast. If the freight team took him up on that offer, that would be over an hour lost on truck that we couldn't afford. You pharmacy people gonna come out from behind the counter and move our boxes around for us?

Suppose the front-end people came in for flu shots en masse. You pharmacy people gonna run registers at the checkouts to cover for all those extra breaks? Or if the salesfloor people decided to get their flu shots, are you gonna come out from behind the counter and help our needy, pestering customers find the light bulbs, air mattresses, and that certain kind of toilet paper they insist we carry but actually don't?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                In August? My doctor advises me to wait until October to get my flu shot since it will be more effective in the Winter months. Is there some medical reason for giving them in August? Or is it a corporate directive to increase sales?
                You certainly want the batch from the current year, but I'm pretty sure the immunity lasts long enough that even a shot in August will work through the whole flu season. (And remember that "flu season" just refers to when it's common; the viruses that make it up have been percolating for some time... one can get the flu at any time of year.)

The CDC recommends getting the vaccine as soon as it's available in your area. http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccination/vaccination/

Comment

A few years back I pulled my back at work and they sent me to the clinic to have my back and knee checked out. It was a complete farce and they tried to push stupid pain pills on me rather than actually help me. They never examined me but pulled out a script pad right away. After my company mandated drug test they gave me a company mandated flu shot. So it wasn't a complete waste of time.....

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    And the trophy room!

"People of Walmart", move over, new champ.
                    I can see that now in our breakroom . . . . a trophy room w/the heads of SC's stuffed and mounted like big game.

And yes, you can expect to be at the pharmacy for at least 30 for a flu shot - even if they're slow.

Mine took me almost an hour . . . and what was the holdup? Trying to get my insurance card to take in their computer system. That took up almost 30 minutes alone . . . even the pharmacist came over at least twice and started pushing buttons until they figured out finally how to key in the group number on my card (and my employer provides our coverage through one of the MAJOR carriers.)

Once they finally got over that hurdle, I had my shot and was on my way shortly thereafter.

This year, I have a physical scheduled in October w/my primary doctor . . . I may just get my flu shot updated then instead of going to the drugstore. they already have my insurance on file and if it's like when I had my teatnus booster earlier this month, it won't take long at all. Just wait for the doctor to get the stuff and come back, and POW . . . right in the arm.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X