This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customer gets asked to leave

Just sharing something which happened a few days ago.....

We've had this guy coming into the library every day, and i don't know what his situation is, but he smells like he's pooped his pants. (so if I'm shelving in the area he sits in, I have to hold my breath when walking past him)

The other day, I noticed that our two security guards were talking to him out on one of our patios, and I had a feeling what the topic was.....especially since I didn't see the guy come back inside. Later on, one of our guards was spraying Lysol on the chairs where the guy had been sitting, and he told me the other customers had been complaining about that guy's hygiene/odor issues. (which is the only way we're allowed to ask smelly customers to leave)

The library in my hometown (where I grew up, not where I live now) had the same rule. I often wonder when people smell like that if they have a colostomy bag and had a "blow-out." If someone smells like that all the time, it's likely there are some mental health issues in play, but my mom is a colon cancer survivor and has had to keep an extra change of clothes in her work bag ever since she recovered from her surgery. She's had the thing fail and ended up having to change and clean up as best she can in the bathroom, but there's only so much you can do without immediate access to a shower.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

But

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
      She's had the thing fail and ended up having to change and clean up as best she can in the bathroom, but there's only so much you can do without immediate access to a shower.
      But I bet she went home after work instead to the local library.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        But I bet she went home after work instead to the local library.
        Yes, she did, but she was fortunate enough to have a home to go to. This guy may not have.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

There are some people with a physical condition that causes them to smell...rank, no matter how often they shower, but it seems to be fairly uncommon.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            There are some people with a physical condition that causes them to smell...rank, no matter how often they shower, but it seems to be fairly uncommon.
            Very true. I once knew a woman who always smelled like onions. She knew it and wasn't able to do anything about it.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I worked with a guy like this. Always smelled like rotten salami, but I think it was from the heavy smoking he did, too. Guy was constantly outside on the patio, sweating and puffing away.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                The library in my hometown (where I grew up, not where I live now) had the same rule. I often wonder when people smell like that if they have a colostomy bag and had a "blow-out." If someone smells like that all the time, it's likely there are some mental health issues in play, but my mom is a colon cancer survivor and has had to keep an extra change of clothes in her work bag ever since she recovered from her surgery. She's had the thing fail and ended up having to change and clean up as best she can in the bathroom, but there's only so much you can do without immediate access to a shower.
                I have a colostomy bag myself (Crohn's here), and I could offer a few tips that work for me if you'd like. I've had a couple of "accidents" myself in the early days, but since I've started doing these the accidents have been eliminated.
                my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Working...
                X