This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    Diets for diabetics are controversial. I would seek the assistance of a dietician rather than get my information from the Internet. It certainly would not hurt you to avoid food high in processed carbs; especially foods containing high fructose corn syrup (which is added to a lot of processed carbs like pasta and breads).
    I won't disagree, but please note that a lot of dieticians' and doctors' advice is based on outdated, inaccurate information.

So: I encourage people to look at both current and prior research. There are a lot of both primary research documents as well as high-quality summaries available online that would form a useful basis for discussion with your dietician or doctor.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Heavy periods can leave you tired even if the doctor says you are not anemic. My exhaustion has improved since my surgery a few years ago on my lady bits. Also fibromyalgia causes fatigue and that is my current diagnosis. Nothing I can do except keep moving and eat better.

I also lost two pant sizes by simply cutting out salt.

As always seek your doctor's advice before listening to people on the internet!
      Last edited by Rock Lobster; 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot
      ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

The pre-diabetes dietary advice that works for me is to control both glycemic load and portion size.

Note the 'for me' part.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          I won't disagree, but please note that a lot of dieticians' and doctors' advice is based on outdated, inaccurate information.

So: I encourage people to look at both current and prior research. There are a lot of both primary research documents as well as high-quality summaries available online that would form a useful basis for discussion with your dietician or doctor.
          It's certainly good advice to look at the current best practices in the medical literature.

The trick is to avoid misinformation on the Internet.

However, your comment "based on outdated, inaccurate information." How do you know this?
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's certainly good advice to look at the current best practices in the medical literature.

The trick is to avoid misinformation on the Internet.

However, your comment "based on outdated, inaccurate information." How do you know this?
            Start here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/science

Then read what health organizations such as American Health Association say on the matter:
            http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...28_Article.jsp

As a side note to all (especially the OP who's thread we seem to have rather hijacked) I belive this is helpful information, and I really hope people look at it and determine for themselves how they feel about it. But I think I've pretty much said all that is appropriate for here. Otherwise I can see this drifting too close to trying to provide medical advice, to fratching, or to both.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I am trying to get a walk in during my lunch break (even if it's dark and there's nothing to look at), and I started taking Vitamin D again. Also looking at how to work more fruits and vegetables into my diet.
              "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
              Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Freeze dried fruits and veggies keep well and usually don't have as much sodium as dehydrated fruits. Also, if you have the patience, you can dehydrate fruits and veggies yourself in the oven when you get a big load, that will preserve them and let them last much longer.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                  I did, when you first posted it. I was not impressed. It's not a peer reviewed site; it amounts to opinion.

Quoth It's me View Post
                  Then read what health organizations such as American Health Association say on the matter:
                  http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...28_Article.jsp
                  The AHA site does not support your contention that medical professionals are using outdated information. You need DATA to support that conclusion.

I don't have an issue with you having your own opinion. Just use care with broad generalizations.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Things that can cause fatigue:
                    Sleep apnea. Very common in overweight people - like morbidly obese me. You may be "sleeping" for 8 hours - but you don't get the stage 4 sleep that is necessary for health.
                    Fibromyalgia, or any constant & chronic pain, also causes a lack of stage 4 sleep.
                    Depression. Physical exhaustion is a component of it, but not as well publicized as the mood.
                    Insomnia, of course.
                    Lack of exercise. Has something to do with endorphins, I think.

These are all things I have learned from my own doctors. And I love my CPAP machine!

they charge through the nose out here for fresh fruits and vegetables
                    Dried fruit FTW! I'm addicted to dried mangoes, and they're cheaper than the fresh ones. And frozen fruit/veg are just as nutritive as fresh.
                    I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                    - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Ask your doctor if you can get more specific testing. There is another test that is more sensitive. I'm actually getting ready to talk to my doctor about the same thing; I've suspected hypothyroidism for years, but my TSH is always on the low end of normal.
                      A Nuclear Thyroid Uptake and Scan is about as sensitive as you can get, which is the test I assume you're talking about. It measures how much your thyroid gland is taking up and metabolizing iodine, which is what thyroids use to make thyroid hormone. There's a (fairly wide) range that's considered normal. Just because your labs come back within range doesn't necessarily mean everything's hunky dory. You're symptomatic, so there might still be a problem. You might also want to ask about a thyroid ultrasound to rule out nodules or cysts.

Quoth paxillated View Post
                      Dried fruit FTW! I'm addicted to dried mangoes, and they're cheaper than the fresh ones.
                      ^ This. Those things are like crack. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting if I'm not careful. Dried apples are also deliciously crackish and a dehydrator is not terribly expensive. I've never tried the oven trick, but we dehydrate peppers and apples from our garden every year in our dehydrator.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                        A Nuclear Thyroid Uptake and Scan is about as sensitive as you can get, which is the test I assume you're talking about. .
                        I was actually thinking about some other blood tests, like a free T3 and T4, and total T3 and T4, and a 24 hour urine.

Comment

Working...
                        X