This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervey fun and games

So I want to give my doctors a talking to right now.

For about 3 weeks now I've had nerve and muscle issues which mean that I will get feelings of fire or ice up and down my muscles, easily getting muscle cramp and pain etc. Including going from being able to walk 1.5miles each way for work a day and now struggling to walk down to the shops without collapsing in agony.

All they've bothered to check is my inflammation markers and because those are normal apparently nothing else can be wrong.

My body is now deciding that I am a pin cushion and that it wants to remind me where nearly every nerve is. The Doctors (NHS) have even put me off for a couple of days and won't see me until Thursday even though I'm overdue for a SSP note...

Its probably stress which is a subject they haven't even bothered to consider yet.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Just out of curiosity, I assume these are in your legs? Thigh or calf? And where?

I'm asking, because I have a problem with nerve pain in my upper right thigh that if I walk or stand too long, it feels like my upper thigh is on fire. Original doctor said it was a side effect of my medication, but my current one isn't buying that...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Arms and legs, upper and lower. tends to move. Almost feels like I have an electrical pulse running up and down sometimes. Also runs through my back and my ribs etc.

And today my face started getting in on the act... hair brushing across it is like running a knife really deep in my skin.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
        Just out of curiosity, I assume these are in your legs? Thigh or calf? And where?

I'm asking, because I have a problem with nerve pain in my upper right thigh that if I walk or stand too long, it feels like my upper thigh is on fire. Original doctor said it was a side effect of my medication, but my current one isn't buying that...
        If you are overweight (like I am) you can get that from a substantial "pot belly" pressing on nerves. It's a fairly "normal" thing for pregnant women, but can also happen in overweight people of either sex.

Be careful, because another effect can be your knee or ankle on that side suddenly giving out because the nerve signals got messed up by the pressure.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
          Arms and legs, upper and lower. tends to move... Also runs through my back and my ribs etc. And today my face started getting in on the act...
          For all of that to be happening the problem would have to be very high in the spine or in the brain itself; I strongly recommend you contact a neurologist.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            For all of that to be happening the problem would have to be very high in the spine or in the brain itself; I strongly recommend you contact a neurologist.
            The Doc I saw yesterday is considering the matter and said she may well do a neurology consult for me. Just not sure how long that will take.

She did some tests and although muscle tone and stuff seems to be ok she wasn't happy with my movement of hand from my chin to her finger, or me running each heel up and down the shin of the opposite leg. Not sure if I failed those or was just having too much knee pain tbh.

I do suspect it is stress and exhaustion though.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
              If you are overweight (like I am) you can get that from a substantial "pot belly" pressing on nerves. It's a fairly "normal" thing for pregnant women, but can also happen in overweight people of either sex.

Be careful, because another effect can be your knee or ankle on that side suddenly giving out because the nerve signals got messed up by the pressure.
              I am, and that's one of the distinct possibilities that my new doctor is considering as a cause. It's pretty high up the list, in fact.

As for the knee/ankle giving out on that side, I'm less concerned about that happening due to nerve interruption than to the physical damage I have to both the knee and ankle already. I'll be dealing with that once I heal up from the upcoming nephrectomy.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                The Doc I saw yesterday is considering the matter and said she may well do a neurology consult for me. Just not sure how long that will take...
                Um. If this progresses any further I'd have to strongly recommend going to an emergency room, and getting a neurologist to look at you ASAP. I really don't like those symptoms.

Comment

Its calmed down a bit today... a few electrical pulses but not affecting the muscles. going to call on Monday and see if they have done one or not. Not sure if our ER's would just bat me back to the doctors unless I was a 10/10 on the pain scale.

The Doc's don't seem concerned. Mostly because I'm still sane when I walk through their door I think.... Also they did about 8 different sets of blood tests - serums, Thyroid, Inflamation etc- certainly had like 8 sets of stuff on the screen. All came back clean.
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 10-06-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Update: Neurology phoned today and booked me in for next Wednesday. Not sure if they will be able to do tests the same day or not. I'm hoping they can but this is the NHS....

Comment

Well Neurology was a bust.

Put it down to stress and basically refused to do any tests beyond basic reflexes. And most of those were at least sluggish. Housemate wasn't happy as he could see that my results were not normal including not being able to relax my foot when asked and walking off balance.

Claims its "in-organic" and not something brain.. its something psychological...

Was told to reduce my stress factors... which are Divorcing, House move, Job fun and games and marriage breakup.... ummm..... none of which I can just "reduce".

Going to talk to the docs tomorrow about increasing meds and if no relief soon will ask them to ask the Neuros to reassess and do scans.

In the meantime thats my job going down the pan...

Comment

...Doctors today suck.

(1) It could be a side-effect of your current meds. You may need to go through and check.

(2) It could be nutritionally related, either directly or malabsorption. If you're not taking any vitamin supplements, I recommend at least a cheap generic multivitamin every day. If you're having any GI distress, that could cause malabsorption.

Comment

Hmm. I'm not sure how your neurologist came to that conclusion based on just testing reflexes.

Definitely follow up with your primary doc. Follow his instructions, including meds. But see about getting an opinion from a second neurologist.

Is there anything you do that makes the electric shock sensation better? Anything that makes it worse?
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The Shadow: the only meds I'm on are Sertraline and the leaflet doesn't mention this issue. Plus I've only gone back on them after this started. Also they did do bloodtests extensively so shouldn't be a vitamin definiency as that should have shown up. However I will pick up some multivitamins tomorrow.

Sapphire : I haven't followed up with them yet, been too whacked to do so. I've got an appointment Tuesday. No pattern has developed about the electrical sensation that I can spot. Nothing seems to clear it either. If I could see a pattern I'd be happier that it was just stress.

At the moment the shaking has reduced and I've got so used to the shock feeling I've turned my pain dials down so much I barely feel 'normal' pain - just a reflex after years of headaches and migranes. However I have crap co-ordination and still have muscle pulses.

I'm following up in a routine appointment on Tuesday and I will probably be signed off again. Even without the muscle issues - or because of them - I'm not sleeping well and just can't handle much time with people or doing stuff. Had a short day out yesterday (was kidnapped by my lodger on the orders of another friend to get me away from the inlaws) and I'm completely whacked today both physically and mentally.
                            Last edited by Gizmo; 10-20-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

INAD, but are you by chance Diabetic? Diabetic Neuropathy (spelling) tends to target the extremities. For me it felt more like somebody took a cactus, set it on fire, and hit my legs with it.. but it can vary. If you have Type II Diabetes might want to bring this up with your primary care doctor. Even if not, get a second opinion for the Neurologist.. they should have at least done an (I think they call it a EMG but I could be wrong .. been awhile)
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X