This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dawnfire View Post
    Why did they come to Australia, namely Tasmania from Somersett.? Tasmania back then was pretty wild, still largely a penal colony. No they came as farm laborers to help provide a more lawful society.
    It could have been the only way for them to get a decent-sized plot of land of their own. Somerset had been a farming county for many centuries by that point, so unless you married into a family with a decent-sized farm you were stuck labouring for someone else. It's the same reason people headed out west in America; the chance to give a decent inheritance to their descendants.

Quoth dawnfire View Post
    30 years later the family uproots and heads to New Zealand which is probably more wild and untamed than Tasmania. Why?
    Maybe by that point they had the frontier bug? Maybe the plot they'd taken on was pretty rubbish and they wanted to try again in the hope they'd end up with decent farming land? Maybe they hated their neighbours with a passion and decided moving was worth the risk? This is the one that really intrigues me.
    Last edited by greek_jester; 01-12-2018, 07:15 AM. Reason: Can't get my tenses right >.<
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Maybe they really liked sheep?
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
        It could have been the only way for them to get a decent-sized plot of land of their own. Somerset has been a farming county for many centuries by that point, so unless you married into a family with a decent-sized farm you were stuck labouring for someone else. It's the same reason people headed out west in America; the chance to give a decent inheritance to their descendants.

Maybe by that point they had the frontier bug? Maybe the plot they'd taken on was pretty rubbish and they wanted to try again in the hope they'd end up with decent farming land? Maybe they hated their neighbours with a passion and decided moving was worth the risk? This is the one that really intrigues me.
        the funny thing there is the head of the household got gold fever and headed to Victoria, while the rest of the family went to New Zealand. The last he was heard from was a message saying he'd found his fortune and was heading home. It is thought he was attacked for his gold and killed.

Comment

Working...
        X