This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year and a great 2018 to all!

I spent the evening at a friend's house watching "Fantastic Beasts" and "Rogue One" -- both of which I opted not to watch on the big screen as I am somewhat soured on sequels and prequels. Both, as it turned out, were worth watching.

We ordered pizza in and I'd brought popcorn and pastries. Ate far too much ... and we toasted the new year in with one of those sample bottles of wine. Games were on the schedule as well but by the time both movies were over, so was I.

This is actually the first time in a long time that I've gone anywhere at all on NYE.

Today I have to get my butt in gear and start clearing a path for the guy who will be coming in sometime this week to replace the hot water heater.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      Is this some party piece of his he does for New Year?It would be more impressive if he could do it with both of them....
      You just made me spit my water across the keyboard.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
        You just made me spit my water across the keyboard.
        Phweet! Rule #1 violation! 5 post penalty!
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Worked till 6, then I went o play poker with friends.

I walked out with $115 more than I came with.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

My partner and I had a few drinks and binge-watched the twitch streams of our favorite podcast, Drunks N Dragons. We hadn't had time to watch for a while, so there was about 8 hours worth. We were in the middle of an episode, so we didn't realize it was midnight until a few minutes afterwards.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Didn't stay up. ;-) Previous years I've done my city's First Night thing, but that's been getting downsized year by year, and this year it reached "pathetic" level.

I did have a nice brunch with family the next morning.

Comment

I had to work the majority of NYE, but went home and got ready to out with some co-workers. It was about 8:30 pm when we all eventually found everyone in the group and started to do some drinking, by 10 pm I was ready to go home and get into bed. Out of the eight of us that met up, only myself and two others wanted to do the bar crawl we had planned on doing -- so everyone opted to stay at the bar/club for the last two hours and just stare at everyone else dancing.

I barely had a buzz when midnight hit, I will most likely not do anything next New Years.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                  My partner learned the finer arts of a Firefly board game (or as I referred to it "Calvinball" - neither SO or I have seen it).
                  Shiny

I highly recommend it. You can pick up the DVD of the series from Voldemart or wherever, possibly on the discount rack (it may be on Hulu, it left Netflix a few months back)-- and I think the followup movie, "Serenity," is still on Netflix.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Shiny

I highly recommend it. You can pick up the DVD of the series from Voldemart or wherever, possibly on the discount rack (it may be on Hulu, it left Netflix a few months back)-- and I think the followup movie, "Serenity," is still on Netflix.
                    I'll add it to the list.

I wound up nicknaming the board game "Calvinball" because the game has been described by a few other folks as taking an entire weekend to play, if not longer. I caught snippets of how to play every now and then from where I was. We arrived at the house at around 5pm. We had dinner at around 7pm. They had NOT finished explaining how to play by that point .

Comment

From what I've seen in screenshots, you'll need plenty of room, too As in, a proper dinnner table would be a good size. But yeah, definitely give the show a shot first, it will make the game(s) make a bit more sense. Enjoy!
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        From what I've seen in screenshots, you'll need plenty of room, too As in, a proper dinnner table would be a good size. But yeah, definitely give the show a shot first, it will make the game(s) make a bit more sense. Enjoy!
                        That's exactly what ended up being used for said game.

Thankfully the rest of the games that we played (yes, Cards against humanity came out at one point, although we were all disappointed that one of our friends didn't bring the more "questionable" game of Crabs Adjust Humidity) didn't require a giant-ass dining room table.

My partner also wound up getting his hands on Suddenly Drunk the other day...Hoo boy.

Comment

Love Cards Against Humanity!

Spent NYE at some friends' house, small party, drinks and snacks. 'Twas lovely.

Comment

My New Year's was spent drinking wine, building models, and watching movies. No Steve McQueen flicks this year like in past years though. However, I did see Rogue One
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                            X