This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like abuse?

Not sure if this goes here. If it doesn't, please move it to a more appropriate place.

Here is the full article:
    http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112188062650

This is the part about the state of the laptop brought in to be serviced under Staples warranty which covers only malfunctions. Would any of you consider this as abuse?

The damage to the computer included a crack on both the left and right hinges of the LCD cover, the AC pin on the motherboard was broken and the AC adapter (where the AC plugs in) was damaged/broken. Based on this diagnosis, the technician came to the conclusion the computer had been dropped, thus voiding the extended warranty.
    I know this store, and I know the people who work there. In the opinion of the tech (apparently) it was damage due to usage not having dropped the laptop. The manager however said it was damage not covered under warranty due to abuse.

(I agree with this diagnostic based on the description of the damange. How do you break an AC pin by mistake? Not to generalize either, but I went to that university and all the people I met there had no idea how to take care of their belongings.)

Of course, corporate caved and sent her some gift cards. I wish they would grow some balls. I'm sick and tired of techs and people on the floor being the bad guys because we follow the policies THEY set up for us.
    Last edited by Comp_geek; 08-09-2006, 01:44 AM. Reason: To clarify which part of the post I found most important
    "They have the internet on computers now?"
    ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

How do you break an AC pin by mistake?
    I actually damaged my previous notebook's AC pin.
    I would be sitting at the couch, computer plugged in to the outlet a couple of feet away and my 2 shih tzus would start to run around. They would get up quite a bit of speed and of course sometimes yank the cord out of the back of the computer HARD.
    After a few times the AC pin was bent quite a bit (though not snapped). So I guess it is somewhat possible....leave it too my screwed up animals to prove something like that. And thanks to them I needed a new motherboard for that laptop (which I still haven't got).
    Last edited by wj_737_700; 08-09-2006, 02:39 AM.

Comment

True, but for the list of problems, it certainly a case of abuse.

About the only way I know hinges can be broken like that is by over-extending them.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
      X