Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we're kinda stuck, aren't we ...

I expect to hear a lot more of this in coming weeks.

Mildly Sucky Customer: "So when are you going to get more paper towels?"

Me: "Well, we get truckloads of stuff each night, but we have no control over what's in the trucks. Best thing I can suggest is get here early; we open at 8 a.m. (for the general public)."

MSC: "But I donna wanna stand in line!"

Well, then, I guess you're pretty much fucked.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Yep

There are lots of customers who will come in early and stand in line, if they think they are too special then they will always miss out.

Comment

Yeah I've been doing my grocery shopping early the last few weeks. As much as I hate getting up early on a Saturday.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I went back to work this past week, as the Dr said I wasn't high risk. I was at my local market at 6:10 Monday morning. I didn't get any of my paper goods, but I got the rest of what I needed. Found strawberries in the egg case due to a severe lack of eggs.

At 8:15 or so, DD#3 and I were at a Target where we DID find tp, kleenex and paper towels. I felt SO victorious as we drove away!

Comment

Congratulations on the successful hunt!
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            There are lots of customers who will come in early and stand in line, if they think they are too special then they will always miss out.
            Yeah, the local grocery outlets have had massive queues before the shops open. Both of the major ones have introduced "priority hours," for the elderly and disabled (they need to show evidence of being on a pension of some sort) and in the case of one of the majors, they've also extended that to healthcare workers (who need to show evidence that they are in fact currently employed in a healthcare environment). the latter has resulted in an alarming amount of bitching due to a combination of fears that said healthcare worker/s could be spreading the virus (no, we aren't) and the entitlement mentality of some of the folks lining up outside the store at 8am (eg "why do THEY get special treatment?" Well maybe because they're the ones keeping your butt alive dumbass :eyeroll. I technically do fall under the category of "healthcare worker," and a couple of my coworkers have suggested I take advantage of it, but I won't because I don't want to be that person who ruins it for everyone. (I also work in administration with minimal patient contact)

For the record, both groups are still subject to the same restrictions as everyone else.
            Last edited by LadyofArc; 04-06-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              "Then either sit on the curb until we open or pay someone to shop for you."

Comment

Supermarkets here in NZ have the right idea lately - due to the massive queues, they have set up a txting system so that when you arrive you send a txt to the stated number with the store's ID code and are added to the queue. This way you get to sit in your comfy car for however long it takes and when it is your turn you just walk up, show your phone with the message (yes, they check the timestamp) and they let you in.

If you don't have your phone with you or you just want to walk around to get some exercise, you just walk up to the front, get your name added to the list and make sure you remain in earshot. If you aren't around when your name is called, T.S.
                Violets are blue,
                Roses are red,
                I bequeath to thee...
                A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Where I live has essentially become Mad Max but with toilet paper. Once that's gone they go for the paper towels.

We also have a massive problem with people from out of town swooping in and just clearing our only two grocery stores and leaving us locals fighting for scraps. We're a small town but we're near a highway so people can just roll in from the city and clear us out. Instead of shopping where they live. It's been a big problem for weeks now. =/

Comment

Rush is over here. It's staying on the shelf.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Not in the SF Bay Area yet. Fortunately, we're not out yet. And even more fortunately, we managed to get some mail-order.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                        Yeah, the local grocery outlets have had massive queues before the shops open. Both of the major ones have introduced "priority hours," for the elderly and disabled (they need to show evidence of being on a pension of some sort) and in the case of one of the majors, they've also extended that to healthcare workers (who need to show evidence that they are in fact currently employed in a healthcare environment). the latter has resulted in an alarming amount of bitching due to a combination of fears that said healthcare worker/s could be spreading the virus (no, we aren't) and the entitlement mentality of some of the folks lining up outside the store at 8am (eg "why do THEY get special treatment?" Well maybe because they're the ones keeping your butt alive dumbass :eyeroll. I technically do fall under the category of "healthcare worker," and a couple of my coworkers have suggested I take advantage of it, but I won't because I don't want to be that person who ruins it for everyone. (I also work in administration with minimal patient contact)

For the record, both groups are still subject to the same restrictions as everyone else.
                        Interesting; our store requires no ID or proof of anything. So yes, of course we get people who aren't seniors (or health-impaired folks) wandering in. I don't think it's a major problem, though.

I do like the idea of including health-care workers. But then we'd need to ask for ID and I can just imagine how well THAT would go over ....

Quoth emax4 View Post
                        "Then either sit on the curb until we open or pay someone to shop for you."
                        Love it! Although we would be open; they'd be sitting on the curb until the line disappears (which it does periodically). Given that we're having snow these days (!!) that could be quite a picture ....

Quoth Kagato View Post
                        Supermarkets here in NZ have the right idea lately - due to the massive queues, they have set up a txting system so that when you arrive you send a txt to the stated number with the store's ID code and are added to the queue. This way you get to sit in your comfy car for however long it takes and when it is your turn you just walk up, show your phone with the message (yes, they check the timestamp) and they let you in.

If you don't have your phone with you or you just want to walk around to get some exercise, you just walk up to the front, get your name added to the list and make sure you remain in earshot. If you aren't around when your name is called, T.S.
                        What a GREAT idea! I wonder if our corporate would be open to that?

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        Where I live has essentially become Mad Max but with toilet paper.
                        Now there's an image ...

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        We also have a massive problem with people from out of town swooping in and just clearing our only two grocery stores and leaving us locals fighting for scraps. We're a small town but we're near a highway so people can just roll in from the city and clear us out. Instead of shopping where they live. It's been a big problem for weeks now. =/
                        Don't your stores have limitations on items? Granted, the info we get at my store is all over the map ("Yes, paper products are still restricted to two each. No wait, they're not. Wait, yes they are ... ?????" )
                        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          I do like the idea of including health-care workers. But then we'd need to ask for ID and I can just imagine how well THAT would go over ....
                          Supermarkets in the UK are offering special hours (before they officially open) for health workers, with ID. While I'm sure there must have been cases of regular Joe Schmoes trying to get in, nobody's kicked off enough to get themselves into the news yet...
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Hubs has to get up at 4am and drive 45 minutes to get to the grocery store when they let the old farts in at 6am. Sucks to be him, but we haven't run out of paper towels or TP.

Bleach has been hard to come by, though. We don't use much, so haven't needed it but a friend has been looking for it since this all started. Hubs started looking for it 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, my friend gave up and agreed to accept some out of our supply (We are preppers, we don't just store food, cleaning supplies are also well stocked.)

We are going to meet up in a parking lot so I can give it to her without getting too close.

Its good that I am so comfortable with parking lot deals already, this has seemed to be happening a lot now!

Comment

Sucks to be you then, honey!

Comment

Working...
                              X