This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next generation...

I made the mistake of letting my mind wander a few minutes ago. Now that I've released the hounds and I'm sure that they'll have it back soon enough, I was wondering...

Once the current "kids" generation (10 and under) reach the point where they have kids and teens, will they know the meaning of terms like...?

...roll up a window?

...dial a phone?

...curl up with a [paper-based] book?

...rent a video at the store (as opposed to downloading)?

...pop a top (not many these days seem to remember that)?

...go visit (in person)?

...pick up a newspaper/magazine?

Any others?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

... go outside and play? LOL

Comment

I think about this regarding song lyrics quite often. Jim Croce's tagline in "Operator" springs to mind: "...you can keep the dime...." means nothing to someone who (if they've even SEEN a payphone) can't imagine it costing ten cents.

More as they come to me.

Comment

Anyone else remember the Bloom County strip in which Binkley asks his dad, "What does it mean, to 'wind a watch'?"
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          'wind a watch'?"
          HOLY CRAP you can wind them?

I kid, my parents have an old style cuckoo clock that is wonderfully awesome

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Anyone else remember the Bloom County strip in which Binkley asks his dad, "What does it mean, to 'wind a watch'?"
            That was actually my inspiration for this. I was so glad when the collected editions came out (similar to what peanuts has been doing for years now, different publisher)

It's my understanding that Breathed waited so long to pull the trigger because he was afraid that nobody would get the references (especially political ones)...Tho, ya know, the longer you wait, the more true that tends to become ^_^
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Turning a dial on a tv (or anything for that matter) ...they won't know what it's like to even have a house phone anymore. It's all cell phones now.

"what, phones used to have cords?".....sigh.

My kids don't know what records are like really. They've seen them packed in boxes.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

It's actually here now.

I have a niece and nephew who get really confused when they are here - I have not only a rotary phone but also records.

It's a constant source of amusement to their grandmother and I.

Mind you they beat the crap out of me on Guitar Hero, so I guess it could be called even.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  My kids don't know what records are like really..
                  I do know that the recording industry at least made a token effort to revive LP's a year or three back -- BigYellowTag had a kiosk up front full of modern re-releases...Which really just makes me suspicious that they're using digital audio as the source material, and thus, eliminating the "warm" sound that is vinyl's main advantage >_<

On the other hand, you can get a decent-quality vinyl-to-USB converter turntable these days for maybe a hundred bucks.

<public service announcement> Just...don't use VBR when setting the bit rate. Ever. No excuses. Nor MP3 or something else compressed for the "archival" format. Save to WAV (redbook audio) at the maximum available bitrate, or FLAC, then convert the songs you want on your ipod or whatever to decent MP3's. </psa>

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                    It's actually here now.

I have a niece and nephew who get really confused when they are here - I have not only a rotary phone but also records.
                    BFF recently had to get an LP from the University library for a class for some reason. They keep their LPs down in the closed stacks. When she asked for assistance to get them, the student clerk had absolutely no clue what my BFF was talking about! The clerk ended up finding someone else who knew what an LP record was.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Playing vinyl records or cassette tapes

connecting to the internet via dial up

having a cellphone that only was for calling and texting only

using or calling a pager/beeper

using a non-GUI operating system (cough cough Windows 3.1)
                      Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I do know that the recording industry at least made a token effort to revive LP's a year or three back
                        Metallica's always re-releasing stuff on vinyl, bless their hearts.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Lets see..I remember before tv (ok tv's were out, but too poor to own one..so listened to things like "The Shadow" on radio). Didn't even have a wall phone till I was 13 I think. Remember when computers took up entire rooms, even used one of the ones that had punch cards. ((Today something the size of a cell phone is MUCH stronger then the 'super computers' of those days...makes me wonder what a supercomputer now would be capable of (ie a single computer using todays tech that takes up an entire room). The mind boggles.)) Still board games around, so can't count that...hmmm

I'll have to think of some others..lol Oh wait. 8-track. Those were fun. Vinyl (of course). Ah..here is a good one, though a few purest still use them)...type writer ribbons. Messy things those.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Bloom County strip in which ....
                            & EricKei

All of 'em, afai can tell:

http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/1980/12/08

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                              ...they won't know what it's like to even have a house phone anymore. It's all cell phones now.

"what, phones used to have cords?".....sigh.
                              Did anyone else see the "start of the story" movie from the new (a.k.a. "Starbuck is a woman") version of Battlestar Galactica? People on a tour of the BSG museum are shown ancient artifacts like "phones with cords".

Another one that the next generation might ask "Why do people call them 18-wheelers?"

With wide-base singles (such as the X-One) becoming more common, it will probably be less than a generation before standard (i.e. 5 axle) big rigs have only 10 wheels.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X