X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Sir, are a failure!

This guy wasn't the suckiest I've ever had, but he was interesting

Me: Thank you for calling (Generic ATM Co.), is this for...(I would've said, "Is this for service or supply?)

SC: *Cuts me off* I need to speak to your service dept.

Me: They're not available, I could take a message for them, if you'd like.

SC: Is there a manager available?

Me: They are not, I could take a message and have a technician give you a call.

Call continues...

Me: What city and state is that in?

SC: Desoto, Illinois (It should be noted that he pronounced the "S". I'm not genious, but I always learned that it was silent....)

Me: That's Desoto, D-E-S-O-T-O?

SC: No! D-E-S-O-T-O!

Now, after this point he was fine for the rest of the call, but what the crap? You interrupt me, only to emphasize what I would've said anyways. Then you IMMEDIATELY ask for a manager, after 1 friggin' No. Finally, you pronounce the name of the state that you're living in wrong AND you correct me on my correct spelling! You Sir, are full of fail!

I hate it when people mispronounce Illinois. It is not a hard word to say correctly.

You'd think it would be easier seeing how the "s" is silent.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

maybe the "s" shouldn't be there....
      Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

I seriously just spent a minute trying to figure out how to pronounce "Desoto" without the s. I have issues.
        You know that feeling you get when you lean too far back in a chair and you find yourself falling, but catch yourself just in time? I feel like that all the time.

Comment

Maybe for that guy we should change it to Ill-annoy?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am guilty of the s or silent S things.

I learned to read before I knew how to pronounce words. Chameleon was 'sham-el-ion. Illinois was Illin-oiz.

And it was only last year (Of 26 years of living) that I found out that 'Indianapolis' wasn't pronounced Indiana (As in the state) -Polis, but indian-Apolis.

I blame my french canadian upbringing Expecting any obviously non-french words to be non silent lettered.
            Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Ulrika View Post
              I seriously just spent a minute trying to figure out how to pronounce "Desoto" without the s. I have issues.
              I did too... I was like... Uh, you pronounce Desoto with the S (having lived in Missouri most of my life, I've run into quite a few Illinois-ians, and have heard Desoto said out loud.)
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                And it was only last year (Of 26 years of living) that I found out that 'Indianapolis' wasn't pronounced Indiana (As in the state) -Polis, but indian-Apolis.
                Is THAT how you say it?! I've been saying it ANY-Apolus for over a decade! No one's bothered to correct me!!!!
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Is it just me that thinks "thank you very much" when reading the title of this thread?
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I grew up knowing the "s" in Illinois was silent. My mom moved out here from a small town in southern Illinois when she was 16 (Which since she's been out here 4 times as long, she's basically now a native New Mexican). She has always said, "There's no 'noise' in 'Illinois'."

But it is fun to get my mom to say "dog"....to this day it comes out as "dowg" sometimes. And my grandmother (my mom's mom) still says "warsh" instead of "wash".
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

People like the caller are the ones that put the "annoys" in "Ill-annoys."

I happened to live there for a year when I was a toddler, so I always knew how to pronounce it, but a surprising number of people, including natives, say it with the S.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X