This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of underwhelming...

Okay, those of us who work in supermarkets, convenience stores, bars, restaurants, and other venues that either sell or serve alcohol have heard the wide range of tactics used by customers to circumvent ID laws. But with my considerable experience, I am astounded to report one I haven't encountered until last night. But (spoiler alert), it was actually rather disappointing.

Here's the rundown. A young woman (who looked to be about 15 or 16 years old) felt that a photo on her cell of her (alleged) ID was the same as actual ID. “Look,” she said, “It has my picture and date of birth and everything.”

No dice, princess.

Why NOT?, she demanded. “A picture's just as good as the real thing.”

Because NO IT ISN'T.

After a minute or two of back-and-forth, it finally occurs to her that I'm not going to back down on this. So she finally leaves, but not before firing off a (not really) ominous “You'll regret this.”

Okay, SERIOUSLY? “I'll regret this?” No specific threats of unemployment, vicious assault, or crippling lawsuit? No explicit suggestions of anatomically-improbable actions or colorful descriptions of my lineage or orientation? No dire implications of enlisting parental involvement? No promises... err, 'threats' of never shopping here again? No tantrum? Not even a little one? C'mon, you ain't even TRYING.

I.... I don't know what to do. I feel incomplete, like I've been deprived of something elemental and essential. Such an intriguing start, but such a lackluster finish. Why, it's almost like....

Oh, god. I'm dead, aren't I?

She'll be back, and in greater numbers.

I've heard of the photo-of-an-ID before, but due to my work I've only ever had to face the photo-of-a-CC attempted method of payment. Just as ludicrous, just as likely to cause one to laugh in the face of one's "customers."
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

One of the Australian states is talking about trialing digital licenses. So that's going to make having a night out interesting for some people when they go out.

Dakhur
      Beyond the black stump, breeding the finest in combat wombats

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        She'll be back, and in greater numbers.
        Of course she/they will. I'm dead and in purgatory, after all.

Quoth dakhur View Post
        One of the Australian states is talking about trialing digital licenses. So that's going to make having a night out interesting for some people when they go out.
        Presumably such a system will be a bit more sophisticated than an easily-Photoshopped picture of an ID on a cell phone.

Comment

If she'll be back, and in greater numbers... Dude, you're not in Purgatory, but somewhere a little less pleasant. On the plus side, you'll have a REASON for all the "Customers from Hell".

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
            If she'll be back, and in greater numbers... Dude, you're not in Purgatory, but somewhere a little less pleasant. On the plus side, you'll have a REASON for all the "Customers from Hell".
            Ah, but eventually I'll die for real, so my suffering will be finite. Plus I get days off. Theoretically, any way.

Comment

My favorite "lack of ID" experience is still the time someone said "I lost my wallet, but you can call my mom. She'll verify who I am."

Comment

Quoth Mriswith View Post
                My favorite "lack of ID" experience is still the time someone said "I lost my wallet, but you can call my mom. She'll verify who I am."
                I've been hit with similar attempts, though admittedly it's been a while. And they were shocked, and angered, that I'd tell them no. And, of course, the concept that people might lie to get what they want was utterly foreign to them.

Comment

Next time they offer you a picture of an ID, you could always offer them a picture of the alcohol they're trying to buy.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                    Of course she/they will. I'm dead and in purgatory, after all.

Presumably such a system will be a bit more sophisticated than an easily-Photoshopped picture of an ID on a cell phone.
                    Given the way government software contracts tend to go, I assure you that it will not.
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

What mk said. We'll be lucky if they actually use digital photography tech to take the pictures (rather than the old-school folding cams).
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post

Dakhur
                        Beyond the black stump, breeding the finest in combat wombats

That’s when they’ll start the “my ID is on my phone but I’m out of charge or WiFi isn’t working, etc.”
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I've taken ID when a customer showed me a picture of his passport on his phone, once. But, I vaguely recognised him as someone I'd served before with proper ID, and the pic/name confirmed it. But then, as night shift, I tend to see the same people over and over, so if I've seen your ID once or twice I'm not going to bother to check again!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Next time they offer you a picture of an ID, you could always offer them a picture of the alcohol they're trying to buy.
                            I wish I'd been on the ball enough to have suggested she take a picture of the beer. After all, in her own words, a picture's as good as the real thing, right?

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                              I wish I'd been on the ball enough to have suggested she take a picture of the beer. After all, in her own words, a picture's as good as the real thing, right?
                              Only if they give you a picture of the money.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X