This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me you're kidding ... oh hell, you're not

We have small red stickers on clothing items that are marked down.

We have to tell you that you can't return them.

Okay, that makes sense. Marked down = final sale.

However ... we also have gigantic yellow and black stickers, and smaller pink stickers, that go on food that is marked half off.

And now i have to tell you that you can't return THOSE items, either.

Because yes, we do have people who buy food that is marked down to half off -- because it's near the expiry date, doncha know, or if it's produce, it's rapidly approaching that let's-throw-it-into-a-smoothy look. And some people buy these items, knowing they are close to the expiry date ... and then demand a refund when that date gets closer, or is even a day or two past.

Had a couple come in today (they are one of the "chronics," according to longtime staff; they do this a LOT). Here in Canada we have bagged milk (three bags bundled together inside one larger bag). They had bought one of these at 50% off and drunk two of the smaller bags ... and now wanted a return on the remaining small bag.

Oh, and did I mention they didn't have a receipt, either? And were indignant that the MOD wouldn't just take their word for it, that they'd bought it here? (I don't think they got anything.)

Later they came through my line with a bunch of bananas ... marked at 50% off.

I am of two minds on this: I'm sorry to have to insult the intelligence of the vast majority of my customers who would not in a million years think of doing something like this, although I look forward to some interesting conversations with them ("Waddya mean, I can't return it? It's FOOD. Why would I return it??" Ahaha, let me tell you some tales, sir or madam ...)

On the other hand, I'm more than happy to oblige, if for no other reason than to annoy customers like that precious pair, IF management will stand their damn ground on the matter.

Minor aside: I had a woman come through my line today with several jars of jam. I rang them up and they showed up at regular price, but she said they were 2 for $6. A staffer went off with her to check and discovered that the idiots who change the prices on the shelves for upcoming sales had indeed put up the new prices (to take effect tomorrow) ... despite the fact we were still open and it would obviously just confuse the hell out of customers. The woman was quite displeased, but the MOD gave them to her at the sale price because it was obviously our mistake.

Meanwhile we were discussing this whole matter of returning half-off food and she was listening to it.

Her reaction: "Do people actually DO that??"

By the time she left her displeasure over the jam prices had been replaced by head-shaking incredulity ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    Meanwhile we were discussing this whole matter of returning half-off food and she was listening to it.

Her reaction: "Do people actually DO that??"

By the time she left her displeasure over the jam prices had been replaced by head-shaking incredulity ...
    Hmmm...redirect the current customer's ire by relating the shenanigans of stupid customers. By Jove, I think a Nobel nomination may be in order. Let us conduct more of these experiments post-haste!

Comment

It wasn't intentionally done, but it definitely worked.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We have a reminder on our registers to tell customers we can't accept returns on gift cards. I tell people this and get this reaction... "People try to DO that?????" Yes, they do. I've seen it. Multiple times. One time I saw a guy get pissed that he couldn't return a Macy's gift card. He said "What am I supposed to do, stand outside the store and ask people if they want it?" Well, if people are heading into the store maybe they'd have the cash to give you for the card? This was way before you could sell unwanted cards online.

Then we have instore credit that can't be used on certain things like alcohol and cigarettes. You'd be surprised (or not with us here) how many people return things then try to buy that. Just had one yesterday. Guy returns something gets store credit and comes up with a case of beer. I tell him nice try and he asks what can he get for it. We sell thousands of products you can purchase. I think he walked out of there with some bologna, real kind to eat.

I also had one woman buy some summer toys because as she told the friend she was with "I don't know what else to get." We sell many name brand items but maybe none you like.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I don't think we have a Macy's here in The Rapidly Thawing North, and I normally hate shopping, but jeez ... I'm pretty sure I could find stuff to buy if somebody gave me a Macy's gift card!

I think I'm running about 50% in remembering to stamp receipts with the red "FINAL SALE" stamp o' doom when they buy half-off food. I am comforted in knowing that the vast majority of customers have no intention whatever of returning the stuff (IF they open it and it's actually inedible, then of course that's a totally different story; we will certainly refund them their money. It's supposed to be near the expiry date, not compost-worthy ....)

Initially I was told we had to CIRCLE the half-off foodstuffs and stamp the receipt. Seriously? Somebody buys $300 worth of groceries; I can guarantee I will not remember the one or two items that had 50% off stickers on them. I've since been told to just stamp the receipt and skip the circle part. IF they bring food back, somebody else can sort it out at that point.

I have gotten some puzzled looks when I tell them this, but so far "it's all good" for my customers.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
          X