X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please at least be in front of the PC

I can't be the only one that has heard this:

SC: I'm trying to do "blah, blah blah and it gives me an error, it says it can't do it" but I can't remember the error message.

Me: Could you receate it and read me the exact error message?

SC: I knew you were gonna ask me that, hold on why I go back to the computer

First off, don't call me if the computer is not right there, I don't have time for you to run back and forth between the phone and the PC

Secondly, At least write down the exact error message!

I don't know how many times I have told people, that without the error message, I can't help them

Oh that happens about everyday around here. I'm not sure what they expect. Espically when they're not home, figured they'd call on their way to work. Few actually ask for a technician to come out, but I almost think thats what they all want. Despite the fact we have cable technicians who know jack about the pc side of things, and we're not going to waste manhours with a field tech on something we can solve over the phone. Or they read an error message, espically in OE, and skip over the important parts with blah blah, I need to know what server you typed in, oh you typed in POP3? I'm pretty sure OE doesn't put POP3 and SMTP just to have you retype it.

Comment

Heck, I have had people call me, on their cell phones while driving on the highway.

I politely ask them to call back when they are at the computer, as that would be better for everyone involved.
      Stupid Things

Comment

Bah! M$ never takes blame for things. That's why they are still sending out bad 360s to people
        a right click option did not dissapear with the rest of the context sensetive menu AND THEY BLAMED ME

Comment

It's even better when the person calling in isn't even the person that got the error message. I'll often get calls from the receptionist/assistant, telling me about an error, and wanting me to troubleshoot the system. When I ask for the exact error message, I'm told that they'll have to go ask so-and-so what error they had
          That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I've had that so many times, Although the assistant does accept my response, "Tell them to call when they have the error and make sure they leave it on the screen"

Comment

Inversely, I used to trouble-shoot my boss's machine before calling tech support in, and I would go and make him show me how to produce the error, write down any error codes and such before I'd phone.

Then the tech would say "I can't come unless Paul's there!"....

But I *KNOW* what's wrong with it!!! (it was a faulty USB port on his laptop docking station... it worked once in a while, but never consistently) I just need you guys to take it down to the lab, poke around with it to PROVE that it's broken, and order him a new one!!!! ARGH.

It was only when I got this one tech that I had problems. All the other guys knew I had enough know-how to understand what I was talking about (heck, I used to do installs and such for them, and they gifted me with my very own administrator password - I was the only non-tech employee to have one LOL)
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
              X