This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, you're invisible ...

I had a mother and what appeared to be an early-teens son come through my line the other day. The son seemed a bit "off" -- that's the best way I can put it. Developmental issues? Autism? I haven't a clue but the kid was NOT being a problem in any way. He had Sonic the Hedgehog on his T-shirt.

Me: "So you're a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog?"

Kid: *freezes for a moment* "How did you know THAT?"

Me and his mom, simultaneously: "It's on your shirt."

Kid: "Oh." *pause* "You saw nothing."

Me (amiably): "Okay."

And I went on with the transaction. I thought afterwards that perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it at all, since it seemed to really startle him.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That's so cute. I might've said "The crow flies at midnight" but the young'uns don't get that one.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I can relate to Pixel's story. Back in the '90's, my parents came to Chicago (I was living in Wrigleyville at that time). My mom saw my computer setup and said, "I see you're with Prodigy [online service]."
      I asked how you know that. She pointed to the t-shirt I was wearing. In celebration to their millionth subscriber the distributed shirts with their logo and "I'm one in a million" in big letters.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Oh, pff. I'm sure you can go more obscure than that. Try "The narwhal bacons at midnight."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

^ Why you're one of my favorite people.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            ^ Why you're one of my favorite people.
            D'awwww, gawrsh. Thanks!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Maybe I'm too young--or too old--but where does "the crow flies at midnight" come from anyway? A Google search turned up six million different flavors of no answer...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
              X