This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP is selling the computer business

This should be interesting since they sell a lot of HP computers where I work. (not to mention we're authorized to work on HP computers... so I wonder if that will change things too)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-to-roots.html

Another business moving out of its core business...That's almost like Ford deciding to stop selling cars and just selling their Sync system.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
      Another business moving out of its core business...
      Meh, not really....HP's core business has always been printers....after they were known for calculators.

Comment

They've been doing some form of computer forever though....

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          Meh, not really....HP's core business has always been printers....after they were known for calculators.
          Printers, scanners, MFCs, cameras, calculators...

Medical equipment, testing equipment.

PCs were just something to bind their stuff together.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

We sell their computers at work, and without exception they're cr*p, especially the Compaqs.

The cheap ones are nasty and have a horrible touchpad (buttons integrated in the touch surface at the bottom of the pad) as well as a very high failure rate of hard drives and motherboards (tends to be the graphics card) and the expensive ones still have a nasty touchpad and motherboard problems. Add in a truly criminal amount of cr*pware on the software preload and I'm not surprised HP aren't making any money.

I do have one of their micro-servers, which afaik is not part of the division getting sold off, and it's brilliant as is the support offered by HP for it but that's what you get with business products.
            Not y3k compatible

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
              I do have one of their micro-servers, which afaik is not part of the division getting sold off, and it's brilliant as is the support offered by HP for it but that's what you get with business products.
              That's pretty much the common practice - give consumers the garbage products and give businesses the good stuff, and that includes support.

It's the same with Dell - buy an Inspiron and you get some indian with an alias of "Bob" who can barely speak english and is reading from a script. Buy an Optiplex and get an american with a real name of Bob who not only speaks english but can handle most troubleshooting on his own.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                It's the same with Dell - buy an Inspiron and you get some indian with an alias of "Bob" who can barely speak english and is reading from a script. Buy an Optiplex and get an american with a real name of Bob who not only speaks english but can handle most troubleshooting on his own.
                That's because while Dell machines are being used, It's IBM doing the business support and they don't contract out halfway across the world for their phone support. And yes, I am familiar with this as it's part of my contractor work.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

By the way HP Touchpads are supposed to be dropping about 300 quid to £89 from PCWorld/Currys tomorrow.
                  Not y3k compatible

Comment

Working...
                  X