This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    This is where the job coach (JC) sticks her nose in things.
    What's a job coach? I am , yet intrigued at the same time.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Someone who helps you through the process of applications, writing and sending effective cover letters and resume's, interview prep, etc. I'm sure some of the others in here can elaborate.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's pretty much it. The job coaches at the state agency I'm working with deal with clients who, shall we say, need a lot more hand-holding through the process than I do. I can't see how horning in on the interview the way she did could be seen as acceptable practice (and like I said, that likely sabotaged everything).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Ah. Got it - so it's a service that some state agencies offer. That's kinda cool...well, if you'd had a decent one, that is.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

There are also private coaches, they usually offer a higher caliber of service and are better trained to help a range of clients...they usually charge a hefty fee though.

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
              She heard back, "Really? We told D a few weeks ago to tell you the position had been filled." Needless to say, they fell out of favor with each other.
              Even though D was responsible for you knowing there was a job, it seems a little unprofessional for them to have D tell you it was filled. Of course, it was even worse that D didn't bother to pass that info on.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Out of curiosity - with the previous employers who stab you in the back... do you HAVE to list their contact information?

I know you often have the option of putting down "do not contact". Or is that a kiss-of-death for job hunting?

Comment

I can't speak for what other employers look for, but with me, it depends on circumstances...if I feel you would be a good person to hire regardless of a smudge on your employment record I might hire you anyway. It really depends on what kind of impression you make.
                  You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    You have far more self-control than me. I would have responded "I was early, is there a reason why you couldn't do your job and start the interview on time? I don't think that I really want to work for a boss that blames her failures on me."
                    This.

I mean, really..."I'll interview you while we walk to my car"? Umm..no. Sorry, my time is worth just as much as yours, and my self-respect isn't negotiable. 'Bye now!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Out of curiosity - with the previous employers who stab you in the back... do you HAVE to list their contact information?
                      I've taken The Jerk off my resume; my other jobs cover that time period, and I have done some similar work as part of them.

Someone suggested keeping it in but changing the location to another store he bought and then ran into the ground, but after finding out he had no qualms toward lying about my job performance I didn't want to take the chance he'd get a call.

Comment

Working...
                      X