This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crap side of efficiency

There are 2 accounting clerks at my job: myself and CW.

I do twice the work CW does. I finished all I could do yesterday around 2:30, which meant I had to leave, which meant not getting paid. Today, I close the entire month before lunch, which means I lose over half a day's pay.

CW is still struggling to get her work for the month finished. Meaning she gets full hours while I have to go home.

We get the same hourly rate.

So basically, she gets paid MORE for doing LESS and taking more time to do it.

FML
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

is there any way to work slower? I finish up before my co workers too but stay around bored sometimes.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The answer is obvious - pace yourself so you get your full work week, every week. It sucks to do less then you can, but if you're penalized for being an efficient and hard worker, then there's no reason to be one.

Comment

Impossible. I work as slow as I can without going mad. Most of the second half of the month is chasing down clients to get questions answered and approval for tax payments. Which I can't do until the bookkeeping is done.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Speak to your manager and see if they can give you some of her work when you finish yours, and when their is only enough for 1 send her home instead. at the least, giving, you some of hers will give you more hrs & cut hers to be fair

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            Speak to your manager and see if they can give you some of her work when you finish yours, and when their is only enough for 1 send her home instead. at the least, giving, you some of hers will give you more hrs & cut hers to be fair
            Let's see - good worker gets rewarded (more hours) and slow worker gets punished (fewer hours), company saves money (work done in fewer payroll hours). That makes sense, which means it's not allowed.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Nope, it wouldn't be. They only give me some of her work when it's nearly the end of the month and she still has a LOT to do, but never so much that she'd lose hours.

That's reserved for the fast ones.

Comment

I get in trouble when I get too much work done. I guess I'm supposed to share.

Yet, if I have problems or am having a slow go about it and little to no help, I also get in trouble.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

We have this same difficulty at the motel. Housekeepers get paid by the hour, not by how many rooms they clean, which leads some to milk the clock.

I try to balance it out by, when I need to call someone off, calling off whoever has been the slowest. Of course, that solution isn't applicable in your situation.

I would bring your concerns to your manager. They may find more work for you to do. Or maybe they'll give you more job responsibilities (and hopefully a raise to go with them). It's the nature of hourly wage, and it sucks sometimes, but your manager might be able to help if you bring it up.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

This company has only 5 people. They are WELL aware, since I go to them every time I run out of things to do. And have mentioned several times how the lack of work days at the end of the month not good.

Thing is, they seem to have stopped giving a shist about me, since I'm leaving in 2 months. No need to be at all accommodating when I'm leaving anyway.

Comment

Take a good book, read for the first half of the day then do your work at the end of the day.
                      If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I finish my work for the day by around 11am. Then I browse the interwebs until I go home, while also doing the new work that occasionally trickles in over the day.

Meanwhile the other two guys are struggling to get their work done by the time we go home at 5pm and tend to do a lot of overtime. We all have identical workloads.

But either way, I'm in here 8am to 5pm, so I get in my 8 hours on the clock every day, even though I only do actual work about 3 hours a day.

Comment

I feel your pain, I'm one of those efficient workers too, at both my jobs!

At my retail job the electronics department is so slow and devoid of work my day consists of standing around waiting for work to be given to me. Anything I do get I finish ultra quick. At my office job I get spurts of work for the week, and always end up finishing them and surf the net the rest of the time. I'd rather have more work to do...
                          Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

Comment

Working...
                          X