This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stood up at an interview

A month ago, I was asked to interview at a very lucrative position for an industrial company. I had to leave work 30 minutes early and fight an hour's worth of traffic, but I made it, only to discover the building was closed. Confused, I called the guy that was supposed to interview me.

The conversation went like this.

Me: hey, its me, and I'm here for my interview, but no one's here.

Guy: who is this again? Interview for what?

Me: its me, and its for the graphics position.

Guy: OH! Right. Yeah, we hired someone else. Sorry.

Me: really? I would have liked to have known that.

Guy: Well, you should have called to confirm.

I hung up on him, fought traffic to get home and sent him an invoice for miles and time.

He responded to that with "i said sorry!"

How about you guys? Ever stood up on an interview?

Nope but I was made half an hour late to one because someone the guy knew begged for a job. Supposedly she was fired for stopping to get a coffee, but I doubt that's legit. I have yet to see her around the building so I don't think she was offered a job. He did apologize.

Comment

Wow, that was extremely rude of that interviewer. He should definitely pay you. Ugh!!
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

oh yes!

The most recent occurrence happened about 8 months ago. I was offered an interview for a 1 year position with a major company ( sounds like E-Rocks) doing contract work for the public sector ( very well paid!)

I was working a crappy temp job getting paid pennies on the dollar/ per hour at the time. I had to take a half day off work ( unpaid ) for the interview. I arrive at the building 15 minutes early, introduce myself to the receptionist and tell her that I'm here for an interview with "john" at 10:30.

After I take a seat in the reception area, I noticed that the receptionist looked confused as she was talking to someone on the phone. After a few minutes, "John"'s assistant comes into the waiting area and asks me if I'm sure I have the right date.

I had a feeling something wasn't right so I already had the confirmation email ( that I received 2 weeks prior) up on my phone. When I showed it to her she says that it must be a mistake since "John" has been on vacation for a week .

The assistant tells me to sit tight while she tries to figure out what was going on. 20 minutes later she comes back and tells me that the position I was interviewing for was cancelled and that I should have been called over a week ago.

Here's another one

I was interviewing for a position with an engineering company. The interview was scheduled at 3:30 with a manager named "Shelley". I get there at 3:25 ( I had been running late) I register at the front desk and wait while security calls up to the office.

I wait and wait and wait. Its been 45 minutes ans security has left 3 messages for "Shelley" telling her that I'm waiting downstairs. 20 minutes later, the security guard flags down one of "Shelley"'s co-workers and asks them to take me upstairs to "Shelley"s office.

When we finally get there Shelley is packing up to leave for the day. The first thing out of her mouth after I introduce myself is: "I had us down for 3:30 is there a reason why you're late?" So I explain that I was there at 3:25 and that security had left several messages for her.

Shelley says that she doesn't have time to do a full interview now but if I would walk her to her car we could do a quick one on the way. Fine !

2 weeks later i get a form letter saying that I didnt get the job.

I hate people

Comment

I hate people too, but at least they bothered to tell you you didn't get the job. Most companies don't even do that anymore, which I find really rude and unprofessional.
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
            Most companies don't even do that anymore, which I find really rude and unprofessional.
            Oh yes, I have decided that, when I find work, I will email all those people who didn't even bother to reply and tell them "Since I haven't heard from you, I suppose I'm still being considered for the job you advertised in January 2011. I regret to inform you I have found other employment.".

Comment

I wasn't stood up the for the interview, but the scheduling of the interview was pretty horrible.

I was unemployed and applied for an open position that was advertised and needed to be filled 'ASAP'. It was right in line with my job experience and schooling, so I figured I'd at least get an interview. I sent them my resume in early Oct.

The following May, I received a letter back stating that they were eager to fill the positon and would like to schedule an interview with me sometime either the last week of August or the first week of September.

By then, of course, I had long since given up on hearing back and gotten a different job. Plus, I can only imagine what it is like to try to work with people for whom 'ASAP' means scheduling the interview almost 11 months after the help wanted ad.

Not for me, thanks.

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
                The first thing out of her mouth after I introduce myself is: "I had us down for 3:30 is there a reason why you're late?"
                You have far more self-control than me. I would have responded "I was early, is there a reason why you couldn't do your job and start the interview on time? I don't think that I really want to work for a boss that blames her failures on me."

Comment

Wow. No, I haven't been, but I was interviewed for a job a couple weeks ago and they couldn't even be bothered to call me back to tell me they were giving it to someone else.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    You have far more self-control than me. I would have responded "I was early, is there a reason why you couldn't do your job and start the interview on time? I don't think that I really want to work for a boss that blames her failures on me."
                    although that wouldn't get the job... it would shove it back into the boss's face that it was her own fuckup and not the interviewee's fault.

i like it

Comment

My most recent experience never even got to the interview part >_< I filled out a series of online apps for a tech support job...this past January. *Last night*, I get an emailed request to fill out one of those inane "online assessments" (in other words, an hour-long psych profile). As soon as it was done, it gave me a message that they felt I was "not appropriate for the position" ~_~ ...At least it said so right away, after the 6-month wait to hear from them at all...Maybe I should have lied on it?

As for the one whop protested that he apologized when you sent him the bill: Tell him "Yes, and I do appreciate that -- that bit of courtesy is the only reason I am not charging you double" ... Note that, in the very very likely case that they never pay up. you should at least be able to get mileage back on your tax return.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 07-11-2011, 04:37 AM. Reason: me forgots this part last time
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's downright unprofessional and straight up rude!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I will quit bitching that the worst that happened to me was being sent a postcard in the mail telling me that I didn't get the job.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                            I will quit bitching that the worst that happened to me was being sent a postcard in the mail telling me that I didn't get the job.
                            from longer term unemployment times past I once had a stack of rejection post cards about 6 inches high
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              My most recent experience never even got to the interview part >_< I filled out a series of online apps for a tech support job...this past January. *Last night(, I get an emailed request to fill out one of those inane "online assessments" (in other words, an hour-long psych profile). As soon as it was done, it gave me a message that they felt I was "not appropriate for the position" ~_~ ...At least it said so right away, after the 6-month wait to hear from them at all...Maybe I should have lied on it?
                              I got one of those when I reccently applied for a job that I had for a 2 years many moons ago before I left that company, I got a quarter of the way in before it said that I wasn't qualified to be working for this company. Had I known this when I had worked for them before, I wouldn't have bothered. <.<
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X