This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They have a point...

As I've mentioned before I'm currently unemployed with very few prospects at this time

I recently started applying for positions in retail and customer service ( fields I worked in for years before moving here and trying to get a job with the feds)

So far I've had a couple of phone interviews 1 for a fast food job the other for a big box store They've both gone like this :

Manager: I see you have a business degree...
    Me: yes I have a degree in marketing
    Manager: ...and you have experience working for the federal government as well?
    Me: yes I do
    Manager: So I guess I shouldn't waste me time hiring you since you'll just leave as soon as you get a better job
    Me: ......

Seriously, what can I say to that ? its absolutely true but still There's no way I can convince someone I'd refuse a federal job to flip burgers all day for minimum wage

And I can't not put my education and 3 years worth of work experience on my CV

I want to work why won't they let me?

When asked that, you might add a twist saying that you are looking for possibilities to work yourself up through the corporate chain (clue: your degree in marketing). Might be not true, but it can still give you a chance to get an entry-level job.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Just say what I've said before

"Listen. I'll be on the level with you. I need to eat, I'll work to eat, therefore I'll work my hardest for you during my tenure here regardless of how long it actually is."

It doesn't always work... NO GUARANTEES!

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
        Manager: So I guess I shouldn't waste me time hiring you since you'll just leave as soon as you get a better job
        Me: And in this economy, I am taking a chance too. Will you still be in business before I find a better job?

Or

Me: And in this economy, that means I'll still be working for you in two years.

And last but not least.

Me: I understand your concerns. How long do I need to stay to justify the training? Let's sign a contract. If I leave before then, I'll reimburse you.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

yeah. like where i work now they said "if you're here just for the money, this isn't the place for you."

um yeah. I'm there just for the money. but it doesn't mean i'm not going to work for it.

Comment

I hate places that think they're the gorilla's bananas, this is the most fabulous place on earth, you should beg to work here and pay us to do so, loyalty blah blah blah--
            SHUT UP. Everyone sane hates you and your 'products' anyway.
            The "I'll still be here in two years" thing is good-- and true. I think I might try some of those lines. I was going to suggest "Yeah... I've been out of work for Xtime. I don't think I'll be getting a job anytime soon, let alone one that I want." Or something.
            Bleh.
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

My job thinks they're the best in the business anywhere. In some ways they are, mainly because of their harsh business practices, but in other ways, they're really on a downward spiral.
              Last edited by Kristev; 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

You could try pointing out to them (nicely, of course) that people quit jobs all the time, for all kinds of reasons - pregnancy, older family members needing care, going back to education, moving to different areas etc, as well as getting something better. Firms have no way of knowing who will stay and who will go.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  yeah. like where i work now they said "if you're here just for the money, this isn't the place for you."
                  Most people are in their jobs for the money. If we didn't get paid, we wouldn't work. We don't do it for fun.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Most people are in their jobs for the money. If we didn't get paid, we wouldn't work. We don't do it for fun.
                    Which is a sad state of affairs, but it's true. I would like to get to a point someday where if I'm working, it's because I'm doing what I love and getting paid for it too.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X