This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about burnt out.

So I work at a drugstore, mostly at the main register. I've been there for a little over 14 months. (Though I've been working retail for 8 (?) years.) And for the last several months it's gotten to the point where I dread getting up to go to work. I tend to sleep all day on my days off. My depression has gotten worse. And today a customer made me cry (I don't wanna go into it. It was something stupid anyways.). I need to get out and/or do something different. I'm 24 stuck in a sucky retail job dealing with shitty customers 40 ish hours a week. I wanna to back to school. But when I called my parents (they live in Tennessee I live in Maryland) tonight after work my dad was like 'How about just take one course and see how you handle that.' I can't stay at this job much longer. I have bills to pay, a lease I'm stuck with, etc. I'm stuck (for the moment) at the drugstore. And all I wanna do it cry.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

I sometimes feel the same. The only good thing is that I get paid way too much to be a cashier, which is why I get scheduled up front and end up elsewhere in the middle of my shift. Maybe you could get a cashier job at a store that's bigger than a drugstore so you can get cross-trained and do other tasks. My company is actually pretty awesome if you don't work in a mall store. My BFF just got a job in one of our stores and loves it. (It's not a mall store).
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Idk. I think my problem is I have way too much cashier experience. My first day here? I was put right on the register with a brief explanation of everything, while the head cosmetics girl answered any questions I had.

Comment

Sounds like me. At least you're only 24. You know how old I am. :/

Comment

See a doctor and get the depression treated. Simply changing jobs won't help; it's much more than that you are struggling with IMHO.

Listen to your dad. Take one course at a time, and work on your education so you can get some mobility in your life. There's nothing wrong with retail, and you might even decide to stick with it after getting some college under your belt.

But an education will open doors for you even if you stay in retail.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I agree with everything Panacea wrote.

Also, the advantage of only doing one course at a time is it won't be as stressful as taking on a whole package, and the feeling of achievement as you complete milestones will help your mood.

(but please please see a doctor. an understanding and helpful doc will make your world a much better place, and a sufferer of depression, I'm speaking from experience here.)

Comment

I hate my job a lot of times. It's not depression; it's boredom. My brain is bored. This has been true of just about every job I've ever had, in or out of the service industry.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.
                I do need to get some sort of treatment for my depression. I've lived with it all my life and sometimes it worse then others. The last year has been bad in a lot of ways so it's been hitting me off and on. I can usually deal with it with out meds. And that's how I'd prefer it. But I do need help. Therapy hopefully.
                I don't know what I'm gonna do yet about going back to school. The field/subject I wish to study is really very different then my current job. Though it is through my current job that I realized what I wanna do.
                And Food Lady, I know what you mean about being bored. I can do my job, and I can do it fairly well. But it's boring. Which is one of the reasons I wanna go back to school.
                There's a lot of things in my life now I would like to change or fix and this is just one of them.

Comment

and cookies...I'm sorry you feel so stuck and you dread going to work. I feel kind of that way myself these days although it's really not as bad as it could be. I do suffer from depression, and I take meds and see my psychiatrist once a month, but I am probably not doing as much as I could be to help my mood because if there is still a chance I could have a child of my own at my age, I would like to, so I'm only taking meds I can't get away from at the moment. It's pretty tough. I wouldn't say my job is boring, in fact it's usually too crazy and I get frustrated that I don't seem to have time to clean up all the background work I have to do (and not to mention my part time second job that I work from home...so much of that gets overlooked...good thing my boss knows me well and cuts me a lot of slack).

Maybe you should try taking one class at a time and see how that goes...might give you something to look forward to. 24 is still very young, though it may not seem so to you...if you don't want to be doing this kind of work forever I have confidence you will find your niche in life and hopefully when you're my age you'll be a happy camper (Note: You can't go by me and my depression/life troubles at the age of 43...my dreams never involved working outside the home for a living...)
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X