X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Made Fun Of Her Husband's Jeans!

(or, "I'm Taking This To The Papers!")

I can't believe I forgot about this rather overwrought (possibly insane) lady. This happened about a year ago.

So, I'm on till, chatting with a coworker and one of the girls from the Safeway next door. I see a woman with grocery bags rush out of the cooler and out the front door. At the same time, a man starts coming up to the till with some beer.

Me: (To the Safeway girl) "Wow, someone's in a hurry." I said this jokingly, obviously. I suppose it must have come across otherwise.

Random man: (As he approaches the counter) "That was my wife."

Me: "Oh, okay." I didn't know what else to say. I served him cheerfully, he seemed fine, and then he left.

I decided to go do some things in the back, and returned a few minutes later just in time to see a screaming woman leave the premises.

Turns out, it was the woman who had left earlier. She'd come back and started yelling at my coworker and the Safeway girl, going on about how her husband had told her what I'd (she seemed to think it was the Safeway girl, apparently, despite the fact that the girl was in uniform!) said and how offended and angry she was. And THEN, out of nowhere, she adds that we had been making fun of her husband's jeans!

Suffice to say, we hadn't even noticed his jeans. And we would NEVER make fun of a customer's clothes, especially not within earshot. But for days afterwards, we would amuse ourselves by looking at eachother and dead-panning, "Are you making fun of my jeans?"

We were left bewildered, and I wrote a note for the manager, explaining the incident.

The next day, she told me that the lady had called that morning, demanding that I (she still had no idea who I was, by the way) be punished for my insolence. When my manager informed her that she was going to stand by the word of her employees, the woman threatened to 'take it to the press!'

To my mild disappointment, I never did see an editorial proclaiming my great evil. I would have clipped it out and stuck it on the fridge for guests to read.

Now, what I've always wondered is this: was the woman just a bit unhinged, or did her husband (who had seemed normal enough) tell her some completely skewed version of what had happened, and why?

Any insights, or other stories of out-of-the-blue accusations?

Haha, as the story keeps going further and further, it gets more twisted down the line. At this point, it wasn't far at all. Funny story!

Comment

My guess is that it's a lovely combination of the both.
      She sounds like the type of woman who likes to rant and rave and complain....just for the sake of complaining. Also sounds like a bit of a desperate attention whore, what with whole 'I'm taking this to the media! Raaar!' thing

I also have no doubt the husband ran out and rattled off a completely skewiffed version of events
      'Honey those mean girls in there, one of them made fun of the way you rushed out of the shop! They called you a frantic hoe! And THEN when I walked up to challenge them and assert my husbandly dominance, they made fun of my jeans! They said I was wearing girl jeans! Hold me tight honey, I feel the tears starting to well up!'

I had a similar thing happen recently with my ex's parents. They tried to dictate to me what I WAS going to do with my little lost twins ashes when it comes time to cremate him. They said that his ashes WILL be scattered over some area that holds signifigance to THEM. I had to kindly remind them that he was my son, not their, and ask that they kindly STFU with such out of line crapola.
      The next day I received a barrage of calls and messages from their other kids, asking why I 'yelled' at both parents and told them that their 'input' wasnt welcome and that they would 'not be allowed' to have anything to do with my other twin, if he survives and ends up being born.
      HMMM, yes. Seems mummy dearest ran off to her other sons and decided to throw in a bunch of things that weren't said, and also twist around the few things that were.
      Good work mum *thumbs up*

Ive found that people like that, like the husband in your post, and just attention and sympathy whores. People like that who can just lie so easily to get people to feel sorry for them should be bitch slapped, IMO

Comment

But for days afterwards, we would amuse ourselves by looking at each other and dead-panning, "Are you making fun of my jeans?"
        my favorite part of the story
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth tilly101 View Post
          I also have no doubt the husband ran out and rattled off a completely skewiffed version of events
          'Honey those mean girls in there, one of them made fun of the way you rushed out of the shop! They called you a frantic hoe! And THEN when I walked up to challenge them and assert my husbandly dominance, they made fun of my jeans! They said I was wearing girl jeans! Hold me tight honey, I feel the tears starting to well up!'
          Haha, yes, probably. If someone ever tries to assert his dominance over me, I'll be sure to imply that he shops in the lady's section at Sears. No man could withstand such an insult!

Quoth tilly101 View Post

I had a similar thing happen recently with my ex's parents. They tried to dictate to me what I WAS going to do with my little lost twins ashes when it comes time to cremate him. They said that his ashes WILL be scattered over some area that holds signifigance to THEM. I had to kindly remind them that he was my son, not their, and ask that they kindly STFU with such out of line crapola.
          The next day I received a barrage of calls and messages from their other kids, asking why I 'yelled' at both parents and told them that their 'input' wasnt welcome and that they would 'not be allowed' to have anything to do with my other twin, if he survives and ends up being born.
          It's true. Some people can be remarkably, horrifyingly self-centered. Lying like that is unbelievable! I'm sorry that they had no respect for your wishes or any thought for the pain you were going through. And surely their children should have realised that even if you had yelled at their parents, considering the stress you're under, it would be understandable anyway...

Quoth tilly101 View Post

Ive found that people like that, like the husband in your post, and just attention and sympathy whores. People like that who can just lie so easily to get people to feel sorry for them should be bitch slapped, IMO
          Yep, we should all keep something handy under the counter to slap sense into the customers who need it. We could call it a complimentary service and then EWs would be demanding it constantly!

Comment

I don't know about his jeans but I have
            No doubt he and his wife have some
            Defective GENES.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
              I don't know about his jeans but I have
              No doubt he and his wife have some
              Defective GENES.
              YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!
              Random beatings will continue until morale improves

Comment

I figured it out...His comment came out of the blue -- jeans are blue -- she needed to fabricate something to be mad about -- therefore, insulting his blue jeans! ^_^

I do believe we have a Salmon of Slapping +3 around here somewhere...Ah! Here it is: Use it in good health
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth tilly101 View Post
                  They said I was wearing girl jeans! Hold me tight honey, I feel the tears starting to well up!'
                  LOL! That laugh is the perfect start to the day, I don't care who y'are.. haha. You rock!

Comment

Eons ago when I was in grade school I was walking down the crowded hall talking to a friend when some kid I didn't know all of a sudden started screaming at me about saying something about his mother and wanting to fight me after school.

Needless to say I didn't know the kid from a hole in the wall and had not said anything about anyone's mother. The thing is I don't think he was just randomly making something up to cause trouble. I honestly believe he really thought that for some reason I had said something nasty about his mother and nothing I could say would convince him otherwise.

Sometimes people think they hear something said that simply was not said and they have no concept of the fact that they might be mistaken. I'm sure you know the type, they could say the sky is green and grass is blue and they are right because they can't even conceive of the fact that it is even slightly possible that they could be wrong. About anything.
                    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Sounds like a nutcase to me. I can tell you from experience that this is the kind of person a newspaper reporter hates to get a call from.

Also, Tilly, this:
                      They tried to dictate to me what I WAS going to do with my little lost twins ashes when it comes time to cremate him. They said that his ashes WILL be scattered over some area that holds signifigance to THEM
                      ...Explains a bit about your ex.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X