This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You keep using that word...

Some words that mean the opposite (or originally meant the opposite) of what we think they do.

http://www.rd.com/culture/opposite-words/1/
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Some dictionaries now list "literally" as a (secondary) synonym for "figuratively." I maintain that this is an example of the above sort of misuse...but that's another debate for another board
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ugh, "irregardless" isn't actually a word at all!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Ugh, "irregardless" isn't actually a word at all!
        Well, I can understand that point, but we've taken to using "adult" as a verb, and "shortening" things like the word "totally" to "totes" and "obviously" to "obvs", so it doesn't really surprise me now what's considered a "word", and how that "word" is to be used.

Like I learned in the last few years that "cwm" is actually a word. It's got a Welsh origin, but I found it in a dictionary once. I think I was playing Scrabble and the game suggested that word.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
        X