This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What bright spark thought this up??

Frankly, even if I were facing the Apocalypse, I'd rather battle my cats for their kibble than eat this.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I'm really disappointed that it's not even really canned, it's just a sandwich in a plastic bag, in a can. I have a couple Mountain House meals in my bug out bag. They taste pretty good! (yes, full of sodium, I know)
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Could be worse...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hey! When I was a kid, my mother made great chicken noodle soup starting with a canned chicken and those frozen egg noodles!

(Seriously, though, it was great soup.)
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Friend has canned beaver...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Friend has canned beaver...
            That should go nicely with some spotted dick.

Or maybe that's why the dick is spotted?

Either way it sounds as bad as you can think it would be.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

THE. WORST. THING. I have ever heard of anyone eating was shown in one of those Globe Trekker episodes.

It was a fruit bat.

And it was cooked AS IS. No cleaning, no removal of wings, skin, bones, nothing.

Anytime I want to curb my appetite, I only have to think about that.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                ... a fruit bat. ... cooked AS IS...
                If it isn't empty, you don't need stuffing. -- Fat Freddy's cookbook.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  I'm really disappointed that it's not even really canned, it's just a sandwich in a plastic bag, in a can. I have a couple Mountain House meals in my bug out bag. They taste pretty good! (yes, full of sodium, I know)
                  In a genuine life-and-death emergency bugout ... sodium levels would be pretty low on my "list of things to worry about."

I wouldn't even feed that to my cats -- and we're talking about critters whose normal diet often consists of Really Rotten Rodent.

In my attempts to find a new career, after my journalism career collapsed, I took a pre-health sciences course. One of my teachers also taught a class on bugs (can't remember what program this was attached to) ... and at the end of the year, she'd bring in a local trained chef to create dishes whose primary ingredient was ... bugs.

I said it was a good thing I didn't take that class as I would surely flunk. She assured me you didn't have to eat the bug cuisine to pass the course.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    It was a fruit bat.

And it was cooked AS IS. No cleaning, no removal of wings, skin, bones, nothing.
                    Actually there was a chap who did an experiment about perception over reality in Victorian times. He hosted a dinner party, but wouldn't tell anyone what the main course was. Everyone ate it and raved about how wonderful it tasted, how juicy and sweet the flesh of the animal was, and wanted to know what it was so that they could get some for themselves.

The animal? Fruit bat. Cue various people fainting/throwing up in disgust. All from the word "bat", after they'd raved about how wonderful the food was.

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    In my attempts to find a new career, after my journalism career collapsed, I took a pre-health sciences course. One of my teachers also taught a class on bugs (can't remember what program this was attached to) ... and at the end of the year, she'd bring in a local trained chef to create dishes whose primary ingredient was ... bugs.

I said it was a good thing I didn't take that class as I would surely flunk. She assured me you didn't have to eat the bug cuisine to pass the course.
                    Bugs are actually high in protein, and plenty of people in the world survive quite happily on a diet that includes bugs. Again, public perception; if we could get over the "ew" factor then a lot of food problems in the world would be sorted out. Bug farming takes up a lot less room than other animal farming, the breeding cycle is a lot faster, and given that bugs have nearly zero fat for the nutrients you get out of them it would deal with a lot of health problems too.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Some people think bats are very desirable as a meal, as shown in this movie clip.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

In a word, Purina Monkey Chow [or large simian chow] designed for critters that are very similar to us metabolically. Taste is nothing to write home about, but I have eaten worse [MRE dehydrated pork patty springs to mind. Blargh.]

I have some assorted bug out foods - I prefer to buy the canned ingredients [um, dehydrated turkey chunks tends to be my go to protein, along with dehydrated whole egg powder] I have a 5 gallon poly bucket of carbs [various potato forms, pilot biscuits, rice] and veggies [corn, green peas, string beans, tiny diced carrot cubes, diced onions, asparagus cuts, butternut squash cubes] and fruit [ cinnamon apple slices, plain apple slices, strawberries <YUMMMMMM!>, blueberries and peach slices] and various ingredients [butter, cheese, flour, barley, various noodles, seasonings and spices, honey, maple syrup, oats, and more that I am probably forgetting] so I could field cook for 4 people for a month.

Actually, my bail out plan includes 4 large dog kennels with a litter pan and ferret hammock, food and water bowls and a sealed poly bucket of cat chow and one of litter for our 4 cats, a smaller transport cage and supplies for our peach faced conure, 2 tents with ground cloths and a huge tarp for going over hte pair to create a shaded atrium in the middle. 4 retired army cots, sleeping bags, pillows and cot mattresses, 4 solar clamp lights, 2 strings of solar fairy lights, a folding table with built in sink [for 'cleaning fish'] and a folding table without a sink, a field kitchen [Coleman's folding field kitchen] my mess box [cookware, eatingwear, utensils and whatnot for preparing food] a poly bucket of lump natural charcoal with a package of wax firestarters and a BBQ lighter, a cast iron hibachi with a couple flat pavers as a heat shield, 4 folding camp chairs, and a large cooler that we normally keep in the momvan for grocery shopping, a 60 quart or so size. We have a car top carrier that mounts using the carry rack on top, so we can get everything including the backpack for each person plus my bail out pack of documents, ammo and handguns loaded and on the road in half an hour. Organization works =)

We have code words, and a bucket [meet up place previously agreed upon, we can determine which one by the code word used] in each area we normally travel in.

Yup, if the world goes to hell in a hand basket, my little family can reasonably manage to shelter in either a national park, state park or military reservation without any other supplies than a source of water [2 solar shower bags, 2 5 gallon water storage cubes and a katidyne water filter with purification tabs just in case]
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                        X