Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Last Time: I DON'T DO MACRO ART!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Last Time: I DON'T DO MACRO ART!

Apologies in advance for the length and wordiness of this post.

Quick overview for the people who aren't up to date with the furry community and don't know certain terms:

There is a certain style of art that happens to be really popular with a certain sub category of the furry community. It's called "Macro" which is basically drawing a character that's incredibly large that also likes to destroy things in their path and stomping/crushing on people. Think Godzilla destroying a city and you get the concept. It can also be a fetish for these people (leave it to the furry community to turn something like that into a sexual thing), namely the foot fetishists because most macro art heavily emphasizes feet closeups and crushed people being stuck to the large character's feet.

I personally don't get it but whatever floats their boats. As an Asexual I stay far away from the sexual aspect of the furry community and I like the art on my page to represent that.

Unfortunately I have unintentionally allowed myself to be targeted by these macro people because of one favor I ended up doing for one of my most loyal repeat customers.

I have one customer who loves my work and also happens to like a bit of the maco art. He understands that I am not a macro artist and that I also don't do heavy industrial things like cityscapes and complicated architecture, but he has politely asked for a few clean mild macro influenced commissions from me, with him and I striking up a deal that he would be the only one I would do such art for and that he would give me tons of artistic freedom to choose the settings of the art so I would be comfortable. Basically just a few images of his anthro bird character looming over a town but being 500 feet tall, etc. Stuff like that.

Keep in mind that I put disclaimers all over my page and on my commissions journal stating this fact. They are pretty hard to miss.

Well this customer recently asked if I would be comfortable doing 2 page gray scale comic of his bird stomping around a town and crushing some people. I decided to accept this commission as a one time thing because I still don't like doing that type of stuff because I find comics to be extra tedious, and then adding all of the people etc in the scenes take a long time.

Anyway, 2 pages of the comic are finished and I chose NOT to upload the images to my personal gallery as not to confuse people making it look like I do macro art as a normal thing. The customer did, however, upload the comics to his page (with permission) while also putting multiple disclaimers stating his deal with me regarding macro art. The comics got tons of exposure on his page and gave him a mass of new followers. Unfortunately some of these new followers decided not to read the disclaimers and have been flocking to my page sending me notes for macro commissions.

The note I received this morning going in detail about this macro foot thing he wanted, and also of it featuring a "fat fur" character (which is another furry fetish) in a sexually suggestive pose really irritated me because this person blatantly ignored the list of things that I DON'T DO that I wrote on my commission info journal. I know he saw the journal because had had made a direct comment on my journal asking me if I was still open for commissions. Not only did he ignore that, he ignored the big bolded statement at the top of my user page that I DON'T DO ADULT THEMED ART.

I sent him a reply stating that I don't do macro and then copypasta'd the part of my commissions journal listing what I do and don't do, along with the part that explains how I only do some macro for that one customer but that I appreciated his interest in my art.

He replied with "Oh well it was worth a shot" which implied to me that he HAD read all of my disclaimers but chose to ignore them and see if he could get me to do the art for him anyway. What part of "NO" don't some of these people understand?

I since went through my gallery and posted a huge disclaimer on any art that I have done for my repeat customer that has any hint of macro.

Yeah, my bad for accepting that deal with my customer but I value his loyalty and he's given me tons of business to make up for it.
    My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
    My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

>.< No matter what your interests are, when you're dealing with a freelance artist you've got to respect their no list. No matter what. These guys sound really self centered, something I've noticed seems to be kind of common in the furry community. Sorry you had to deal with them.

Comment

I always say that you will not get the answer you want, unless you ask the question. So I can understand that even after reading all the disclaimers, he might ask. You did make an exception once.

However, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. His was a text book example of the wrong way.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

This isn't just the furry community. I wish kinks and communities wouldn't get lumped like that.

As for going against your no list...this is a prime of examples where you don't do something that you normally would say no to.

Comment

Stop saying no - just tell them such things start at $500,000 dollars US, 50% up front, non-refundable.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

^ Brilliant.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              I always say that you will not get the answer you want, unless you ask the question. So I can understand that even after reading all the disclaimers, he might ask. You did make an exception once.

However, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. His was a text book example of the wrong way.
              Have to agree with this: Might as well ask; the worst that can happen is that you get 'No' for an answer. And at least he didn't keep nagging at you once you said no. (I'm assuming he hasn't, anyway ...)

Comment

At least our Tigress can take solace in the fact that she does awesome work, and just sit back and feel...well, awesome.
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Just set up a nice big journal post and use it as a copypasta reply to anyone asking for the things you don't do:

"If you would like me to do Macro or anything sex/fetish-related...

PISS OFF!"

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

1) No good deed goes unpunished.

2) I note that even your original customer posted that you would not do more of this type of work, so anyone requesting such had to see the warnings TWICE.

3) Loosen up, ask a ridiculous amount of money to do macros, but don't be surprised if someone is willing to pay $1000 for an one of a kind drawing. I suggest asking $5,000 min, that way if someone takes you up on your offer you have enough money to pay for a vacation and booze to drown the sorrow of dirtying your soul.

Yes, I understand in real life there are somethings you just will never draw no matter how much money is offered, think carefully about your limits, then set them in stone.

Comment

makes me wonder if the phrase "what part of 'i don't do ____' don't you understand?" although if they're bold enough to assume you'd do drawings anyway despite repeated disclaimers that you don't do that kind... then they'd probably try to argue why the disclaimer shouldn't apply to them too.

This isn't just the furry community.
                      Indeed this is a problem that extends to *all* forms of customer interactions, be it artwork, programming, brick/mortar retail, even schools. There's always at least one customer (EW!) who sees the rules and still thinks somehow it's not going to apply to them because they're special.
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                        At least our Tigress can take solace in the fact that she does awesome work, and just sit back and feel...well, awesome.
                        Aw, thank you!

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        3) Loosen up, ask a ridiculous amount of money to do macros, but don't be surprised if someone is willing to pay $1000 for an one of a kind drawing. I suggest asking $5,000 min, that way if someone takes you up on your offer you have enough money to pay for a vacation and booze to drown the sorrow of dirtying your soul.
                        Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        Stop saying no - just tell them such things start at $500,000 dollars US, 50% up front, non-refundable.
                        I have considered doing that exact thing. Would put me a bit closer to that Subaru Baja that I want.
                        My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                        My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

I lot of people don't listen. I've learned this through years of being both a furry and a human. :P

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                            I lot of people don't listen. I've learned this through years of being both a furry and a human. :P
                            I think it's more a matter of people hear what they want to hear, regardless of what's said to them.

I agree with the suggestions of "quote a ridiculous amount for art you don't want to do" suggestions. It'll scare away almost everyone. It works for Bruce Campbell in regards to convention appearances. He is more than willing to come to a con that meets his amazingly high honorarium. that's the price he feels compensates him for missing time with his family. Entirely reasonable, in my opinion.

You'll probably still have to deal with the screams of "OMG! How can you possibly ask that much! You're art isn't worth that!" Blah, blah, blah. Just set a price that's high enough to make it worth your time to do something that you don't like doing.

Hell, I do it with tech support. ($50/hour. $100/hour if you want to watch. $200/hour if you want to help.)
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                              I think it's more a matter of people hear what they want to hear, regardless of what's said to them.

I agree with the suggestions of "quote a ridiculous amount for art you don't want to do" suggestions. It'll scare away almost everyone. It works for Bruce Campbell in regards to convention appearances. He is more than willing to come to a con that meets his amazingly high honorarium. that's the price he feels compensates him for missing time with his family. Entirely reasonable, in my opinion.

You'll probably still have to deal with the screams of "OMG! How can you possibly ask that much! You're art isn't worth that!" Blah, blah, blah. Just set a price that's high enough to make it worth your time to do something that you don't like doing.

Hell, I do it with tech support. ($50/hour. $100/hour if you want to watch. $200/hour if you want to help.)
                              That's a really good idea, yes. And I had no idea Bruce Campbell did that.

Comment

Working...
                              X