This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating death at the petrol station

Yeah, cuz people are stupid. -.- This girl's car wouldn't start, so she called over her brother to help her. That isn't the sucky part; she made the call in the kiosk. No, the suckiness comes out when I look out the window and notice that her brother seems to be planning to jump start the car on the forecourt.

As anyone with common sense knows, you do not use jump leads on a petrol station forecourt, cuz of the risk of sparks and the ever present petrol vapour. So I rush outside to stop them. This is where the suckiness starts.

I tell the girl she can't have her car jumpstarted on the forecourt, she replies, "Well then, we'll just do it there." She points to the tanker bay, the place where the tankers unload the fuel and where the fuel tanks just happen to be. I tell her no, she gets huffy and says, "You're being really unfair! Where are we supposed to do it then?" I inform her of the risk of an explosion due to petrol vapour, she replies with, "What vapour? I can't see it!"

I wearily inform her that it's invisible, but a single spark could start off an explosion. She replies, "I don't care. I want my car started up!" Luckily, at this point, her brother intervenes. He tells me that he knows I'm only doing my job, and that he's going to push his sister's car out into the road and is that ok? I say it is as long as they're not blocking traffic. Once they're safely by the side of the road, I go back inside.

I mean, seriously? You could cause an explosion which would kill not only you, but everyone else on site, and you don't care?! Bitch please.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

She "doesn't care"?!

Gah...oof...ergh...

I'm torn between "I'll bet she'll care when she sets an explosion off" and "That's some special kind of stupid right there"...

Dear Gord...x.x
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The last time we had a big storm that knocked out power for days I was at a gas station to fill some gas cans for my generator when I saw a woman about to fill two gas cans that were sitting in the trunk of her car...

Me: Ma'am, you really shouldn't fill those cans unless they are out of your car and sitting on the ground.
      Her: Oh...why?
      Me: Your car is insulated and there is a chance of a spark setting off an explosion.
      Her: Well...how would I know that.
      Me: (points to sign on pump stating not to fill gas cans in the vehicle along with pictures of a stick figure filling a can on the ground with a green circle and one filling a can in the vehicle with a red circle and slash mark) I think if you look on the side of the gas can you will also see the same warning there.
      You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

This one makes me laugh every time I think about it.

My father once witnessed a man filling up a milk jug with gas in the trunk of his car. He of course spills it. Gets out a mini shop vac and starts to suck up the gas. The vacuum, which is sitting on the ground explodes. It's not very impressive but it was most definitely an explosion. The guy then caps the milk jug, puts it in the car, leaves the burning vacuum where it is and drives away.

I'm assuming this guy is dead now. Nobody that stupid could still be alive now.

Comment

When I was thirteen, I found out that a styrofoam cup will not hold gasoline (I needed to put gas in the lawnmower).

Comment

[QUOTE=Gaki;1140490]This one makes me laugh every time I think about it.

My father once witnessed a man filling up a milk jug with gas in the trunk of his car. He of course spills it. Gets out a mini shop vac and starts to suck up the gas. The vacuum, which is sitting on the ground explodes. It's not very impressive but it was most definitely an explosion. QUOTE]

This was on 1 of my favorite tv shows "A 1000 ways to die". 2 dumbass crooks who liked to syphon peoples' gas tanks were using a hose and sucked it out with their mouths. It starts to make them queezy and sick, so they decide they need another way to get the gas out. Well guess what? Dumb and dumber got a vacuum cleaner and sucked out the gas and it worked fine for a few seconds, until it sparked and blew them to smitherines Well, at least that's 2 less stupid people in the world, and a few billion more to go

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
              I'm assuming this guy is dead now. Nobody that stupid could still be alive now.
              Never assume that.

For every Darwin Award candidate, there are thousands of stupid people that not only manage to survive, but carry on breeding.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                "A 1000 ways to die"...Well, at least that's 2 less stupid people in the world, and a few billion more to go
                I wouldn't bet on that. I watched "1000 Ways to Die" when it first came out but I kind of lost interest when I realized a lot, if not most, of the show is about urban legends rather than real incidents.
                You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I never tire of telling the story of the lady whose car was on fire who rolled up to the gas pumps because she planned on somehow using the water faucet (for filling up the windshield wiper pails) to put out the fire.

Or the story of the 911 dispatcher who chided me "cars don't blow up like they do on tv".

"This is a gas station, they blow up exactly like they do on tv."

Cue several customers upset that we hit the emergency shutoff to the pumps and they couldn't pump gas until the fire department put out the burning car six feet away from theirs.
                  Last edited by Raveni; 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM. Reason: customers suck

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
                    When I was thirteen, I found out that a styrofoam cup will not hold gasoline (I needed to put gas in the lawnmower).
                    see then you're pretty much making homemade napalm.
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Well, like Einstein said, there's only two things that are infinate, the universe and human stupidity. XD

I've twice had to tell customers off for smoking on the forecourt; sometimes, I believe that the human race is doomed. Not cuz of nuclear accidents or pollution, but cuz eventually it's going to get to the point when cuz of all the stupid people breeding, it's too far gone to exist any more. XD
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        Well, like Einstein said, there's only two things that are infinate, the universe and human stupidity. XD
                        And he wasn't certain about the universe!
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

The girl in the OP was definitely in the running for a Darwin award. Good thing she didn't get to "claim her prize" at your station!

I remember reading about a couple of guys who were siphoning gas out of the cars parked at a funeral parlor. They had to duck out of sight when another car drove past, and by then it was too dark to see well, so they wanted to check on how much gas was in the pail.

They used a cigarette lighter to get some light. At least they were in the right location for what happened ... assuming that's a true story, can't recall where I read it.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Reading this thread, I am constantly reminded of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
                            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

I've twice had to tell customers off for smoking on the forecourt; sometimes, I believe that the human race is doomed. Not cuz of nuclear accidents or pollution, but cuz eventually it's going to get to the point when cuz of all the stupid people breeding, it's too far gone to exist any more. XD
                              Yup and they even made a movie about it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Comment

Working...
                              X