Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jester - it seems I misinterpreted your comment about the lunch thing ~ I thought you were objecting to her ordering lunch rather than the main product of the bar. Mea culpa, I suppose.

By way of explanation -- When i worked at *shudder* GameStore, the management would not seriously consider hiring somebody who had zero interest in video games (with the implication that they did not plan to learn about thew product they were supposed to be selling) - When I worked at an Italian joint, same basic idea; if an applicant didn't like the food, they weren't gonna hire the person, presumably because they assumed that they would be less than enthusiastic about the product.

Just different ways of seeing things, no? To each his own ^_^
    Last edited by EricKei; 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      But you don't leave the manager hanging while you eat your lunch.
      She didn't leave him hanging...he had things to do, and took a while to get with her. Or she might have ordered the food after he talked to her...this was a couple weeks ago, so it's a bit fuzzy in my memory. Either way, I think it's bad form. More on this below.

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Jester - it seems I misinterpreted your comment about the lunch thing ~ I thought you were objecting to her ordering lunch rather than the main product of the bar. Mea culpa, I suppose.

By way of explanation -- When i worked at *shudder* GameStore, the management would not seriously consider hiring somebody who had zero interest in video games (with the implication that they did not plan to learn about thew product they were supposed to be selling) - When I worked at an Italian joint, same basic idea; if an applicant didn't like the food, they weren't gonna hire the person, presumably because they assumed that they would be less than enthusiastic about the product.

Just different ways of seeing things, no? To each his own ^_^
      Ordering an alcoholic beverage while you are in there to apply for a job is simply bad form and unprofessional.

But I see what you're saying about taking interest in a business's product. Which is why if I were applying in a video game store, I would browse through the titles, not actually start playing a game. If it was a car repair place, I'd look over their equipment rather than start turning wrenches. And in a bar or restaurant, it's perfectly acceptable to look over the food and drink menus. But to order something while you are there seeking employment? Unprofessional. It shows a casualness towards finding a job that reflects poorly on the applicant.

Not everyone agrees with me on the food thing....several of my coworkers didn't see a big deal. But just about everyone I know in the industry agrees with me on the cocktail angle.

Acceptable: "What kind of specialty drinks do you have?"

Acceptable: "What is your well vodka?"

Acceptable: "What are your happy hour specials?"

Unacceptable: "I'll have a gin and tonic."

You can express interest without ordering a drink.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

As a diabetic I have asked for a sugar packet, just as fast as getting a soda, and generally available anywhere you can get soft beverages. In a bar I might ask for a shot of simple syrup if they don't have a sugar packet available. [I don't really like or drink soda.] Well, I might ask for an ounce of OJ or another juice mixer.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

AD, not sure i understand the relevance of your comment. I have no problem giving of even offering a drink (soda, water, juice) to prospective applicants. My objection is to the lack of professionalism shown by an applicant ordering a cocktail or food during their visit to apply.

If your comment was made in relation to something else, I'm afraid I missed it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            AD, not sure i understand the relevance of your comment. I have no problem giving of even offering a drink (soda, water, juice) to prospective applicants. My objection is to the lack of professionalism shown by an applicant ordering a cocktail or food during their visit to apply.

If your comment was made in relation to something else, I'm afraid I missed it.
            Someone commented on the inadvisability of ordering food or drink at a place was applying to. Back when I was applying for kitchen monkey I ended up badly hypoglycemic and needed a hit of sugar - got a packet of sugar from the bar manager from his coffee supplies.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Someone commented on the inadvisability of ordering food or drink at a place was applying to. Back when I was applying for kitchen monkey I ended up badly hypoglycemic and needed a hit of sugar - got a packet of sugar from the bar manager from his coffee supplies.
              There is a huge difference between ordering a cocktail or meal, and taking care of medical needs. As for applicants, I always offer them a drink when they re filling out their applications. Only the idiots think I mean a cocktail. The smart ones get a soda, juice, or water. And no one I know with any brains has any problem with an applicant drinking a soft drink, especially in a warm climate like Key West.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                The kind of guy that will start talking to you on a bus, or a plane, or a train, or in a bar, just rambling on and on, just so you have no doubt what his opinion on something is...whether or not you wanted to hear his opinion, or even care about the topic upon which he is opining.

Ah, yes. The Loach. (Gravekeeper's term, not mine)
                "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                X