This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not looking forward to tonight...

Major server upgrade happened today. This UNIX system handles about 45% (best guess) of our manufacturing work, the rest is done though another system which all the rest are being migrated to, the hardware still needed replacement.

Anyway, plans have been known and alerts have been e-mailed out for the past 3 weeks, plenty of time for everybody to be aware of it. Strangely enough I've only had one call (and today's day shift only had a few calls) wondering why the system was down.

Now the real (psychotic) giggle here is that the new Unix system will now use the corporate Active Directory (windows) credentials. This means, all the passwords they are used to using to log into the Unix system are now invalid. Guess who gets to update the never-used windows passwords? Yup, the service desk, meaning ME tonight...

This is not going to be fun. In just short of an hour, I've gotten my first 3 calls on it, and those are the people who actually watch and read their e-mail, and know the system is back up and running. In 1.5 hours, the planned outage time will be over and everyone else will be trying to log in...

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

For those wondering:

Total calls from people unable to log in because they don't read their e-mail: 21
    Total calls for other reasons: 8 (kinda average for my night)

It took me nearly 2 hours to eat my lunch.

I was asked to link all the login tickets to the change order so they can track how many. I know day shift before me had a ton she logged, and we expected a log more...

Eric the Grey

Comment

Ridiculous. How many users are there for you anyway? I hope your lunch still tasted alright.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Well, I had a dozen or so plants (can't check any longer since I was laid off today, see another thread...) that run 24/7. I have no idea exact numbers, but quite often when there are problems, I would get calls from multiple people in a single plant wondering what's going on. Even when I tell someone at a plant something, they never pass the information on.

Eric the Grey

Comment

but-but...reading is HARD, remember. Plus reading email regularly, ESPECIALLY if it's from company IT makes sense, as does sharing said info. WE all know that's not allowed.

Or has the internet been lying to me again...?

Comment

Working...
          X