This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Auctioneer

The Auctioneer is a regular only a few of our employees can deal with. The reason is not that she's obnoxious--she is quite nice. The problem is that, per her name, she talks very fast. That, and we feel her priorities are a little misplaced. She is a regular, so I may have more stories.

Story 1:

Auctioneer comes with her son, and rents our aluminum fishing boat. Anyone who knows anything about boats, particularly those boats, should realize that they aren't all that stable. From what I understand, the son decided to try and clean a fish on the boat. He ended up cutting his leg when a wave hit.

Auctioneer: Doyouhavesuperglue?
    Me: Err, no. I don't think so. Why?
    Auctioneer: My-son-cut-himself-while-on-the-boat.
    J: We have band-aids and a first aid kit.
    Auctioneer: I-need-superglue-to-fix-up-his-wound-or-he-will-have-to-get-stitches.

Auctioneer gets paper towel and leaves.

P comes in and explains she is leaving, understandably, to take her son to the hospital and gets her a refund.

She comes back in later to take the boat out, saying that, despite the cut, the boy was fine, and the father agreed to let her take him out.

Story 2:

Today, Auctioneer called. We were training a massive amount of employees, (more than half the staff were being trained). One of them, T, answers the phone.

T seems very confused. After she hangs up, she explains that the woman was talking very fast, but said she would be late for her rental. Auctioneer rarely comes on time, so we aren't surprised. T then complains she is very hard to understand, and doesn't want to answer the phone again.

I answers the phone when Auctioneer calls next. Auctioneer explains, and here is the brain-stopper:

She will be late because someone's life support is being pulled, but she is still coming and she will call in 10 minutes to give us her credit card number to put down her deposit.

T, D, and M, the trainees, seem terrified at the idea of trying to decipher her to take that call. I agree to take it, having dealt with Auctioneer a few times before, and generally able to decipher her.

Auctioneer does not call.

At the desk, when she arrives, she shows us a picture of her father who was on life support, and died recently. Now we know who was on life support. She apologizes for being late, and we explain it is fine.

Several hours later, she comes back in with a puppy. This puppy moves as fast as Auctioneer talks.

We have a policy that all dogs are offered a treat. The puppy gets a medium-sized treat, given to him by me. The puppy, with puppy-like-enthusiasm, tries to lick my face. I get down so it is easier for him. While she leaves us with the puppy and leash, I spend the next several minutes trying to pull the dog out of my hair, as it literally decided to get on top of my head.

S takes the dog away from me, and gets smacked in the face several times, as I get away. M takes the dog, and gets smacked in the face several times as well. Auctioneer finally takes the dog. It is three months old, and did sit down when given the treat, so at least she is attempting to train it.

I'm pretty permissive with animals. I hosted rats for a week, and allowed them to climb all over me, explore my ear, attempt to stuff their face in my nose, failing, of course, and discovering my scalp. (I drew the line at letting them open my mouth, however.) My current rabbit's favorite place to rest his head when I pet him is in-between my breasts. I am okay with that. I have a cat willing to spend hours on my lap when I have to get up, and I rarely take her off unless I really, really have to go.

However, I do draw the line very firmly at a dog standing on my head. Sorry. Your puppy is not little enough or cute enough to get away with it.

She's never really rude. She's just a handful sometimes.

I rather enjoyed (and LOL'd for a good minute) the follies of the dog climbing on your head and the coworkers getting smacked in the face. I'm assuming it was the dog doing the smacking and not the Auctioneer. ^_^

Comment

She comes back in later to take the boat out, saying that, despite the cut, the boy was fine, and the father agreed to let her take him out.
      if the cut's wide enough to need superglue, then going out on the water again - on the same day nonetheless - could lead to a nasty infection. either that or the cut wasn't as bad as she made it out to be originally

, as it literally decided to get on top of my head.
      to be honest i'd probably fall apart laughing. assuming the puppy wasn't too big.

actually my dog decided to stand on my hair this morning (we slept on the bean bag couch last night) and lick my face. owie.
      Me: ok ok, off the hair. I'll give you a walk
      Dog: YAY! WAG WAG WAG WAG!
      Last edited by PepperElf; 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        actually my dog decided to stand on my hair this morning (we slept on the bean bag couch last night) and lick my face. owie.
        Me: ok ok, off the hair. I'll give you a walk
        Dog: YAY! WAG WAG WAG WAG!
        Dogs are awesome, aren't they?

You just reminded me, I have to stop for a bag of pig's ears this week, going to see Mum and Pop's furbaby this weekend. Technically it's Father's Day, but furbaby assumes that visitors are there to see HER, especially me and the Hubster. 'Cause we bring treats, of course.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          T then complains she is very hard to understand, and doesn't want to answer the phone again.

T, D, and M, the trainees, seem terrified at the idea of trying to decipher her to take that call.
          You should show them some of Gravekeeper's customer calls. Then they'd be glad she just talked fast. At least she seems to be working on some sort of logic.
          Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
          Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
          -Unknown Author

Comment

I have a customer like that, too. She'll ask for information, then without stopping for breath or an answer, she'll start talking about something completely unrelated. Her conversations are impossible to follow, and if you try, you forget what she originally asked.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
            X