Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ex had a buddy that was like this. Gerry was never on time for anything; we even did the 'tell him an hour before everyone else" thing.

I managed to get him to be on time once, though. He and the ex were going to go on a trip someplace, and they were going to take our car. Which meant that I needed Gerry's car to get to work.

I told Gerry, in front of witnesses, that that morning I would have both sets of keys to our car in my hands before my husband got up. If he, Gerry, was not at our house by the time I needed to leave for work (and I gave him a very specific time), I would leave for work as usual, and I would take both sets of keys with me.

And that when they showed up at my office in Gerry's car to trade with me, I would geld him right there in the parking lot!

Apparently, I can be rather scary when I choose. That morning, for the first time in literally years, Gerry arrived exactly when I told him to.

Comment

They left AT 6pm for an appointment at 6pm?!! Planning and time management epic FAIL!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I can't stand this. All these people who manage to be on time when they're getting PAID to be, but when they're just holding up their friends and family? Screw it, right? It's disgusting, and it sends the message that their laziness and disorganization is more important than you, your plans and your feelings.

I think more people need to start setting ultimatums. For all their excuses, these people CAN be on time when motivated properly. They just don't bother, because they know there won't be consequences. Give them consequences. If the consequence of always being late is never being invited anywhere, they'll learn soon enough.
        Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          ... Gerry arrived exactly when I told him to.

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum,"

which Pratchett loosely translates as "When you have their full attention in your grasp, their hearts and minds will follow."
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

What time was the photography studio closed? Was it possible to close the front door or close the black drapes and simply do the day's paperwork in the backroom (assuming the studio closed at 7 and not 7:30)?

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
              I think more people need to start setting ultimatums. For all their excuses, these people CAN be on time when motivated properly. They just don't bother, because they know there won't be consequences. Give them consequences. If the consequence of always being late is never being invited anywhere, they'll learn soon enough.

What's always worked best for me with people like this is to get everyone else in the group to agree, and tell the person they won't be waited for anymore, period. Then follow thru. If they aren't at a meeting place at the correct time, wait no more than five minutes, then everyone goes on with the activities as planned. After a while of arriving at picnics to find all the food eaten, or getting to a restaurant when everyone has eaten and are on desert, or finding everyone is already in the theatre and they have to go in late, possibly not having a seat with the group, or finding everyone has already boarded the train or bus and gone on wihout them, eventually they'll either change their ways, or they'll go find new friends who will put up with it

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                What time was the photography studio closed? Was it possible to close the front door or close the black drapes and simply do the day's paperwork in the backroom (assuming the studio closed at 7 and not 7:30)?
                In a situation I think is designed for failure or theft, their main register/computer is right up by the front windows, and from what she tells me, they can't move it
                Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                -Unknown Author

Comment

Working...
                X