This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I could have refused...

Randomly today, after serving a couple of older customers, I found a red helium balloon, bobbing around my counter, at counter-level. I took it by the string, and while it had a loop tied on the end, there was no weight to keep it from heading off to the ceiling. I hadn't served any children, nor were there any in sight. Thinking it was possible it got lost, I tied it onto my till point screen, just in case the little one who has lost it came back (see, ain't I nice?)

About 20 minutes later, I was serving a family, a mum and dad, and their young son, who I would have guessed to be about 3 or 4 by his size and what looked like a school uniform, but was also acting more like a younger toddler (wordless squinnying and baby noises). I didn't think much of them at the time, although I noticed the boy making a reaching motion towards my till as they pushed the trolley away to exit, and I heard his mum say "He wants the balloon." She was saying it to her partner/husband, though, and were leaving.

A few minutes later, dad rejoins the queue for my till, holding Brat, who was looking very teary. I serve the rest of the customers and when it comes to Dad and Brat, Dad says very politely "I know this is going to sound really weird but...he really wants that balloon you have there."

I thought for a moment. It had been half an hour. We don't sell balloons, we're a hardware store. There were very few children in our store today (or customers at all, torrential rain and localised flooding), and what with helium balloons' tendency to race for the heavens upon release, I decided that chances are, no one was going to claim it. I said "Well, someone lost it earlier, I tied it here in case they came back, but I don't think anyone is going to claim it."

The Dad says thank you, and I untie the string. He says to me as I'm doing so "He just screams and cries for everything, so we have to give him what he wants so he'll shut up."

Now I'm regretting saying yes. I do NOT like the idea of indulging a spoilt child who doesn't not deserve it. But I've already said yes, and I'm already untying the string.

I pass the string to Brat, who then snatches it from me, and just glares. "Say thank you, H****n," the Dad said. <To protect the not-so-innocent>

Brat just scowls at me. Dad pauses for a moment, hoping the silence will prompt him. When I don't even recieve a smile, I give the kid a very cold stare. Then they left.

I really hate the fact I ended up indulging such a spoilt brat, and I really hate the fact he didn't even have any basic manners. All of which, are his parents fault. Shame really, they had seemed like a nice couple, but clearly neither of them can handle the demands of a young child. If your child screams and demands any nice "thing" he sees, and you just GIVE it to him, you are not teaching him a good lesson. The fact you can't even get your brat to say "thank you" when he has recieved a free gift, the object of his 5 minute obssession, shows you are doing something wrong as a parent.

In hindsight, I wonder what would have happened if this scenario had happened- say it had been my birthday or something, and a colleague had jokingly given me a balloon, and I tied it on my till to keep with me all day. I certainly wouldn't have handed it over then, and would the kid have a massive fucking tantrum if he had been denied?

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
    The Dad says thank you, and I untie the string. He says to me as I'm doing so "He just screams and cries for everything, so we have to give him what he wants so he'll shut up."
    Let's reword that properly, shall we?

"We give him what wants so he'll shut up, so he screams and cries for everything".

There., much more accurate. Some people just have a really hard time sorting out cause and effect

And don't feel bad, your heart was in the right place, you had no way of knowing what was really going on when you gave it to him.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I saw a kid pull that once in a toy store. I was in there with my daughter and her friend, who know better than to pull that shit in the first place. But there was a kid who wanted something and his parents said no. Cue full on leg slamming floor hitting tantrum, with loud screaming. What did the parents do? they gave in and even gave this kid the money to buy it so he could be all "important".

My kid was staring at him like "WTF" lol cause again she knew better.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

To be honest, I wouldn't have given it to him. I would have told the dad that it was not for sale, that it had been left here and by store policy it was being turned in to lost and found.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

What if you said it was your balloon?

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            To be honest, I wouldn't have given it to him. I would have told the dad that it was not for sale, that it had been left here and by store policy it was being turned in to lost and found.
            I agree. If there's one thing I hate more than anything are children who act like spoiled brats.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              I agree. If there's one thing I hate more than anything are children who act like spoiled brats.
              What about adults who act like spoiled brats?

Comment

I am going to go against the stream a little here.

While I agree that spoiled, demanding kids should not be rewarded for their bad behavior, what you described may not have been a typical child.

1) The boy looked to be around four-years-old, but was "acting more like a younger toddler (wordless squinnying and baby noises)";
                2) The boy was "making a reaching motion" rather than saying what he wanted;
                3) The father stated the boy "screamed" and would only be quiet when he got whatever it was he wanted;
                4) The father attempted to get the boy to interact socially with you by instructing him to say "thank you" and waiting for the boy to do it;
                5) The boy would not be verbal with you and almost appeared to be hostile.

What you described very well could be a child with developmental delay problems. Lack of speech/language is the most common symptom. Usually those go hand-in-hand with emotional development problems as well. If that is so, the parents do not seem to as yet have a firm grasp of the situation and what they need to do for the boy - although they are behaving like many parents who are new to such a situation.

So take heart. You may have made the parents' shopping trip a little easier in that the boy stopped screaming and attention was not drawn to them.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  what you described may not have been a typical child.

What you described very well could be a child with developmental delay problems. Lack of speech/language is the most common symptom. Usually those go hand-in-hand with emotional development problems as well. If that is so, the parents do not seem to as yet have a firm grasp of the situation and what they need to do for the boy - although they are behaving like many parents who are new to such a situation.

So take heart. You may have made the parents' shopping trip a little easier in that the boy stopped screaming and attention was not drawn to them.
                  I'm leaning this way myself. Been there, done that a few hundred times with Face.

Comment

I get the development issues some kids can have, but I firmly believe in basic good=good bad=bad teaching, if that had been me and I didn't say thank you my father would have made sure to take that balloon off me, maybe even pop it.

The next time I got something I wanted I said thank you or I never got it.

Comment

While I do agree that a kid who is screaming and throwing a temper tantrum should not be rewarded, I have to agree with South Texan. Just by what you describe, it sounds like the kid has a social problem, maybe even autism. His actions sound like what my son would do when he was about 3-4 and couldn't communicate with us on what he wanted.
                      "The old saying "The customer is always right" is Bull S*it, but you should always treat the customer with respect."~ Professor of Management at UTA

Comment

Umm, OK, I get the developmental delay possibility, but I have to wonder if the kid wouldn't have forgotten about it in a few minutes when the next new "shiny" came along.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hope he doesn't let that red balloon go...It could start a war...

Comment

Only if he had another 98 of them...
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

If it's a developmental issue, then I can understand the parents asking to *buy* the object of his affections... But to just ask for a freebie to shut the kid up?
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                              X