This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You HAVE to open an account for me!

A young woman, "Maggie," came in to open a savings account last week. For the most part, my coworker dealt with Maggie, but she asked me to help when she started getting flack from the customer.

Maggie came to us because her parents have accounts with us, so she thought we would have no problem opening an account for her, too. But we pull credit reports for all new accounts, even savings. My coworker looked at the credit report and it said problem. Coworker tried to explain to Maggie that because of her horrendous credit, we couldn't open an account for her.

That's when the title line was spoken. Because her income was from social security, we HAD to open an account for her. Coworker called me over. I looked at the credit report. Maggie's credit score was 496. I don't think I've ever seen a credit score under 500 before. [We normally don't open accounts for anybody with a score under 650. High end is around 830.] Everything was "collection account," "account closed by credit grantor," or "profit and loss writeoff."

I started to tell Maggie there was no way. She held up a check. "You have to open the account, so I can deposit my social security check." I looked at the check. It wasn't a Treasury check. No, it was drawn on a 3rd party. It said something about "social security payee," and was made out to Maggie. I explained that customers sometimes bring in letters from the Social Security Administration that tell us how to set up the account so the customer can have their check direct deposited, but that's not what's happening here. We still can't open the account.

So Maggie stormed over to her mother, who was waiting in the lobby, and griped to her about it. She had me explain the whole thing to her mother. I suggested they contact the place the check was drawn on to figure out what to do next. I was nice about the whole thing while they grumbled and yapped at me.

Maggie's mother asked if Maggie could sign the check over to her, then could she cash it? I said yes, but we'd have to place a hold on the check or the same amount of money in the mother's checking account. That gave them both more reason to grumble, but they accepted it.

[what I wanted to say]Seriously? You have over $12,000 in collection accounts and you expect us to open ANY type of account for you? Even savings? We'll be processing levies and garnishments every WEEK! And that's whether or not you keep any money in the account. If you set up automatic payments, I'd expect you to be overdrawn within a month. No effing way! [/what I wanted to say]
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Now, I know I Dont have the best credit score in the world. But damn. 496?

This gal has some extreme issues.

Comment

I run into people with credit scores that low all the time, sadly...

Comment

not to mention... what would happen to the bank account once the people she owes 12K to find out about it.

i mean it sounds like she's not really planning on paying it.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
          My coworker looked at the credit report and it said problemBIG PROBLEM.
          Fixed for your convenience.
          Seriously, what is she thinking? Oh yeah, SC's (or non-custimers in this case) rarely think.
          Quoth PepperElf View Post
          not to mention... what would happen to the bank account once the people she owes 12K to find out about it.
          They would have to get in line to collect on it...assuming that social security can be legally garnished.
          I too run into people with real low credit scores...they become SC's at the tax office when declined for the overnight loan.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

That's kind of what the bank's concerns are. As soon as that account pops open, all of the creditors will be making a whole bunch of work for her bank to garnish and drain the account. Even after it's dry, they'll keep asking for money, so someone will have to process and respond to all of those requests. That means that the bank will be spending more time and money on that account than they'll be making.

Sorry Maggie, businesses get to choose if they want to lose money on you or not.

Comment

I've seen lower than a 496 once during my summer working as a phone monkey at a credit monitoring company. The only way I can see that happening is if you have a prolonged stretch of unemployment and don't bother adjusting your lifestyle. (i put ~$1500 on my cards each month... but I pay it off each month... better believe i'd be cutting back on non-essentials if I lost my job).

"we can't trust you with money" isn't something anybody wants to hear, but sometimes they need to hear it.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                They would have to get in line to collect on it...assuming that social security can be legally garnished.
                Social Security is a protected wage, but the customer has to prove to the lawyer sending the levy that the money in their account is from that and nothing else.

Quoth roxtar View Post
                "we can't trust you with money" isn't something anybody wants to hear, but sometimes they need to hear it.
                Apparently, even SSA doesn't trust Maggie with money, if they set up a payee. The payee probably pays Maggie's rent and utilities, and the check she had was the remainder.

The letter I was talking about (I've seen them a few times) would specify a person as the representative payee. We would title the account as indicated in the letter. Maggie would technically own the funds, but she wouldn't be able to withdraw any of it. Only the person named as representative payee can withdraw. Then you know the SSA really doesn't trust you with money.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Another example of different country, different rules.

In Australia, you MUST have a bank account to get any form of assistance. It's all direct deposit. No such thing as pay cheques, cash packets, etc.

Comment

Reading this story makes me remind myself of one thing: Would you BET on a losing horse at the racetrack? These customers are the same kind of people. Grant them an account and they'd be owing you hundreds in no time flat. With a credit score that low, no one would probably even accept that woman's cash!

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                      Apparently, even SSA doesn't trust Maggie with money, if they set up a payee. The payee probably pays Maggie's rent and utilities, and the check she had was the remainder.

The letter I was talking about (I've seen them a few times) would specify a person as the representative payee. We would title the account as indicated in the letter. Maggie would technically own the funds, but she wouldn't be able to withdraw any of it. Only the person named as representative payee can withdraw. Then you know the SSA really doesn't trust you with money.
                      [Sucker Bet]

Want to bet that such an account has already been set up and Maggie has no access to it? Her "social security check" was probably drawn on that account.

[/Sucker Bet]
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                        Likely Maggie is a substance abuser. Mom gets the SS payment to keep Maggie from blowing it on alcohol or drugs.

I'll make a confession: at one point I had a credit score (not my median from the three though) of 508. Divorce is a terrible thing on your credit score, especially when you pay off a lot of the ex's bills before you split without thinking how you will pay your own

I ruined a line of credit that way (I eventually paid it back, but it took YEARS), and wasn't able to get a checking account for 7 years. However, I was allowed to get a savings account at a credit union so I could deposit my paychecks. WaMu had a generous policy; after 3 years, they let me have a checking account. Of course, my credit score was a bit better by then (because I was paying off the debt), though not by much since I had no revolving credit (car paid off, no mortgage, no credit cards).
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          Likely Maggie is a substance abuser. Mom gets the SS payment to keep Maggie from blowing it on alcohol or drugs.

I'll make a confession: at one point I had a credit score (not my median from the three though) of 508. Divorce is a terrible thing on your credit score, especially when you pay off a lot of the ex's bills before you split without thinking how you will pay your own

QFT. Sometimes your low credit score is really not your fault. My husband ran up a couple of thousand dollars of debt on credit cards that were in my name, before I found out about it. What with interest and time passed, I currently owe over $9000. And this is AFTER paying three cards off to the tune of $15,000.

Why so much you ask? Well it appears that, back in the early 90's, you could get credit based on your spouse's credit score (mine) even if it wasn't your credit score (his), but the account would be in your spouse's name (mine). Nice huh? Yeah and that's one of the reasons the economy sucks!

I am working as best I can to pay these off - even though I didn't run up the debt, the fact that the accounts were in my name makes me legally responsible - but it takes time. I know my credit score is in the toilet and will be for years.

Anyway, my point is, like the above poster, sometimes your credit score sucks for reasons beyond your control.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            Want to bet that such an account has already been set up and Maggie has no access to it? Her "social security check" was probably drawn on that account.
                            Yes, I'm pretty sure that is what's going on. I'm not sure where the "payee" expected Maggie to cash the check they sent her, though. It's not like there's any check-cashing places in small-town Minnesota.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                            Likely Maggie is a substance abuser.
                            Yes, that seems likely, given her demeanor and appearance. (Agitated, gaunt, bad skin, sunken eyes.) There was a rumor floating around the bank that Maggie has recently gotten out of prison. Either or both of those things would explain Maggie's credit rating.

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                            Anyway, my point is, like the above poster, sometimes your credit score sucks for reasons beyond your control.
                            Sure. Sometimes shit happens. But when I explained to Maggie that she had a very poor credit score, she seemed nonplussed. Like she didn't care. Like it didn't matter to her. Because we HAD to open an account for her.
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                              Why so much you ask? Well it appears that, back in the early 90's, you could get credit based on your spouse's credit score (mine) even if it wasn't your credit score (his), but the account would be in your spouse's name (mine). Nice huh? Yeah and that's one of the reasons the economy sucks!
                              Mrs. TGK has just such a situation with her ex. It seemed that he was a gambling drinker (what she saw in him was anyone's guess). They eventually went BK. A few months ago, when I was cleaning our safe, I found the BK papers. They could have paid those debts off, providing they were on the same page--apparently that was the problem
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X