Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It hasn't gone live yet and they are already having problems with auto update borking computers. Windows-10-automatic-update-problems

Comment

What a shock there It's not "officially" due out for a couple days, though, and will come in waves.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

An update (pun intended): They're backtracking on the auto updates already! http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyle...rtner=yahootix
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Heh, Mr Zel just bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 installed.

During the setup, it asked: "Would you like to install Win10 now?" and I yelled NOOOOO
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
            An update (pun intended)
            If I'm reading that right, if an update causes a problem the tool lets you remove the update and block it from being reinstalled but you can't stop the initial update.

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
              If I'm reading that right, if an update causes a problem the tool lets you remove the update and block it from being reinstalled but you can't stop the initial update.
              Of course, if the update hoses your machine to the point where the tool won't run, you're screwed. I thought any program that decides it'll install itself on your machine whether you want it to or not was classed as "malware". Sounds like Windows 10 is malware.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The way I read it, the tool also lets you block certain kinds of updates, like driver updates. Maybe I read it wrong. Either way, it does seem like too little from MS, not that that's any big shock.
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I got the impression that it would let you prevent certain updates from installing in the first place -- and if it doesn't, I'm sure the users will *cracks knuckles* inform MS of their displeasure soon enough. In fact, I'm GLAD that this issue cropped up so early -- it was gonna happen sooner or later, and better that it affect thousands of testers than millions of live users >_> That's the whole point of the testing.

On the other hand, it's like MS's backpedaling on the XBONE's Kinect device, always-online stuff, and backwards compatibility. This blocking option should have been available from day 1 of the forced update scheme, not something hurriedly patched in.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    On the other hand, it's like MS's backpedaling on the XBONE's Kinect device, always-online stuff, and backwards compatibility.
                    Oh god, remember when they were first defending the always on by saying if you didn't want it you could always get a 360? There's a REASON you have a PR department people!
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      Oh god, remember when they were first defending the always on by saying if you didn't want it you could always get a 360?
                      I wonder how many people responded to that with "No, if I don't want the 'always on' I can always get a PS/4".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Frequenty-updated list of hardware known to work on Windows 10 -- An item with "NO" next to it currently does not have a w10-compatible driver available from the manufacturer. For anything else, assume that you will need to download the most recent driver/BIOS version:

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-...vers-updating/

Comment

Working...
                        X