X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    Like what if it's another Vista?
    Never mind that - what if it's another Bob running under ME?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Dude! There's really no need to use such foul language!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm going to shove it on a VM this weekend and have a play.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

So far, I'm digging the hybrid start/tiles approach. I might just upgrade to this as my main OS when the time comes.
          The weight on me

Comment

It's still in RTM form, correct?

How is it as far as the basics go -- stability, RAM usage, etc? Also curious about game compatibility, if you are of a mind to try any.

Thanks!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

If you have any games in mind, let me know. Only things I've got off hand are on steam but I could track down requests.
              The weight on me

Comment

No specific titles, but it would be interesting to see how it handles something from the last year if you have any (to see if the graphics interface is behaving), and some as old as you can get (I'm talking early 90's here if you have any), to see if Steam's emulation/old games still even *run*, period.

Comment

Well I saw someone reporting the OS alone is using nearly a full GB of RAM on the latest RC so that's something to watch out for.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

7 uses a fair amount for me (I wanna say it was ~800MB when I first installed it), which is less than Vista by a fair amount. Thing is, I was expecting more like 2 gigs for an OS these days. Also, I would imagine that an RC is not quite as well optimized (by MS), nor as tweaked (by the end-user) as it might normally be.

It scares the bejeezus out of me that companies are still selling brand-new Win8 laptops, with a gig of RAM and a 60GB hard drive in them, at all -- let alone for more than 80 bucks ...I know RAM can be expensive, but hard drives? Not so much. Besides, most laptop RAM I've seen is the stuff that comes from companies nobody has ever heard of.

Comment

Tried Steam on the VM. That installed fine. Trying to run Space Engineers however, is a total failure. But that seems to be more the fact that it's in a VM. I've cleared enough space off one of my secondary drives to try running it in dual boot. I'll give that a try this week.
                      The weight on me

Comment

Yeah, its great that its free but I have alot of information on my computer. If I install it, will I have to reinstall everything else?

Comment

The final version may allow for an upgrade -- but we won't know until it comes out, this Fall. The RC and RTM versions (until then) are likely best done via a clean install only.

Comment

As an update. I partitioned a drive and got this installed in dual boot mode. It's nice, but a little... jerky. As in the mouse movements seem to get hung up at times. I was able to get my nvidia GT 740m to install correctly for Steam. I played just a brief amount of Space Engineers and all seemed well. I like it and will likely migrate to it when it hits final.
                            The weight on me

Comment

First, to our brave souls who are testing this thing out: THANKS! ^_^

Second, I have an IRL friend (graphic designer) who asks if it's behaving with Adobe products -- mainly stuff like Photoshop and Illustrator. He says that new Windows versions tend to be rather Adobe-hostile at first. If anyone testing out 10 uses those regularly, please give them a shot and see how things go.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                7 uses a fair amount for me (I wanna say it was ~800MB when I first installed it), which is less than Vista by a fair amount. Thing is, I was expecting more like 2 gigs for an OS these days. Also, I would imagine that an RC is not quite as well optimized (by MS), nor as tweaked (by the end-user) as it might normally be.
                                Well I have to ask if that 800MB use is regular operations or just the OS? To add when it's a first install it's more understandable as a lot is going to optimization of resources for future efficiency that's been a thing since XP. The person reporting was saying the near gig was just the OS and it was after the optimization stuff was done. That said it's also just one person saying it and it's not an official analysis or anything so take it with a grain of salt.
                                I AM the evil bastard!
                                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                                X