Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to that lady for digging up the goods on that awful mother. The shame, the humilation, and the fear to leave her house should be good enough for now until real justice can be served. Serves that bitch right!

There's a certain amount of leverage in saying that children need to be monitored online better. This is true. However at the same time, just as pedophiles have no right to try and lure kids, neither does this woman have any right whatsoever to have posed as a 16 year old boy to toy with this girl's emotions. If she was truly that convincing, and the girls' parents believed that this was truly a 16 year old boy, then she succeeded in deceiving the girl, and the parents shouldn't be blamed for not monitoring her if the conversations never became of a sexual or graphic nature before things went awry.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Check out what Leonard Pitts Jr. wrote about it. He actually hopes the parents that did this live a long, healthy life. Just read it and allow him to elaborate on that....

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/co...ry/315685.html

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
        According to what I've read, the Mother DID monitor the girl's MySpace use quite frequently.
        Thanks. I did read that article.
        That's what I meant when I said there had been prior behaviour on the internet. (I was in a hurry when I was typing this morning, and didn't have time to go into details.)

I realize she monitored it AFTER the girls got in trouble the first time.

It just seemed to me, though, that she wasn't picking up on the cues that would have told her just how upset her daughter was.
        I realize with suicide, there aren't always flashing lights and neon signs alerting people that a person is in crisis, but when she was telling her mother what cruel things the boy was saying to her, I think, if I had been in the Mom's place, I would have just put an end to it then and there and sat down with her to talk it out.

Even at that, though, those so-called 'adults' were still very much in the wrong for starting that whole charade to begin with and playing with that little girl's emotions.
        It was sick and sadistic.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
          Sounds to me like "internet justice" is being served....

http://www.wired.com/politics/online...ilante_justice

I know that most members here condemn vigilante justice, and I have no plans to take part in this, but hearing about it, sure as hell didnt make me feel bad.
          JMO but I don't think this is "justice" at all, especially since there are children that are being put at risk by bricks going through windows, possibility of the house being the target of arson, etc.

Comment

JMO but I don't think this is "justice" at all, especially since there are children that are being put at risk by bricks going through windows, possibility of the house being the target of arson, etc.
            You're right. I didnt think of it that way. The whole things just really sucks and it brings out a lot of anger and outrage over the parents' snug and arrogant attitude of CAUSING A DEATH that it can really cloud someone's judgement over the whole thing.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
              You're right. I didnt think of it that way. The whole things just really sucks and it brings out a lot of anger and outrage over the parents' snug and arrogant attitude of CAUSING A DEATH that it can really cloud someone's judgement over the whole thing.
              I agree with you on that, it's not only been about the actions; but, the attitude that prevailed after. So, ITA with your post too.

Comment

Resurrecting the post because I just saw this update.

Basically, the parents admitted they created the fake profile, but no charges are going to be filed. So lets all have a moment of
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                  Resurrecting the post because I just saw this update.

Basically, the parents admitted they created the fake profile, but no charges are going to be filed. So lets all have a moment of
                  This is precisely why the laws need to be updated! Have some cybergeeks work with lawmakers to make stalking, harrassment, etc. over the Internet a crime just like it is face-to-face! There is no reason this should be happening, and no reason charges shouldn't be pressed against those responsible for driving this poor girl to take her life!

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...ternet-suicide
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The girl's parents should sue. In a civil suit only 7 jurors have to agree and you dont have to prove "beyond a shadow of a doubt" a crime was committed.

Comment

ok I haven't read all the linked articles . . .but there are some things I have not heard mentioned here in chat.
                      (let me say this first - I agree that this got out of control and went too far)
                      From the reports that I have read . . .Megan was a bully and on medication for mental challanges. The parents were having issues and headed toward divorce before this happened.
                      It has been reported that the Mom took away computer rights - but she was going to the library and friends houses to get online.
                      There is a whole lot of information that is not being provided to the public.
                      I am not sure where I stand on the issue of a parent creating a false profile and being mean to someone who was mean to their child. Times have changed a great deal since I was young. Going to the parents of the bully very rarely works in this day and age because no ones precious little one ever does anything wrong.
                      I agree this went to far and a pharse to imply wishing someone was dead is taking it too far. Then again I could see another preteen/ teen doing the same thing. Yes, an adult should know better . . .but here was a parent trying to protect their child and lost touch with reality and started thinking like a vendictive pre teen themselves.
                      This woman will have to live with the thought for the rest of her life that she sent an e-mail to someone and the took their life. Honestly from my personal experiences with suicide . . .it takes more than one thing to drive a person to that choice. Granted that message may have been the last straw . . .but I tend to believe that it wasn't the only reason.
                      Just more to think about.

Comment

This thing with the Drews reminds me of Mr. Miyagi's story about "The Bad Bull" in the film "The Next Karate Kid".

"That day Bad Bull become Good Soup". Looks like Mrs. Drew's life has been pretty much reduced to that. Now I hear that she was forced to close down her business.

Also check out this piece of garbage on the net....

http://meganhaditcoming.blogspot.com/

Hard to say if that's really Lori Drew talking but if is then this woman aint too bright.
                        Last edited by ditchdj; 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM.

Comment

And some of the comments on that blog are in support the Drews and bringing up a bunch of side information (Megan's parents were already heading toward divorce, Megan was a bully, Megan's parents should have gotten her help) that's totally irrelevant and doesn't exonerate the Drews in any way.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but titling the blog "Megan Had It Coming" shows absolutely no remorse for what happened and joy that she's dead.

Once again my faith in humanity plummets.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

IPF - I agree with you that the title of the blog is not the best choice.

I also agree that the blog tends to be one sided on the side of the Drews. However, a lot of the media postings that have been printed are one sided toward Megan's family without giving all of the information.

I again say things went to far. I am not anyone who has any rights to say this person or that person should be charged and or convicted of something.
                            The way this thread reads to me is as if the Drews should be convicted just based on the Megan side of articles.
                            All I wanted to do was bring in some information from the Drews perspective. As Dr Phil is known to say "No matter how flat a pancake is it always has two sides"

This is a truly tragic event that has occured. Sadly a life was lost. Hopefully some other Parents will take note about what really can happen on these blog sites and get involved in their Children's lives.

Comment

Another Update

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071206/...ternet_suicide

The Drew family (especially Lori Drew) are being shunned by the community and there have been other things happening to the family. The community wants the Drews to move out. Also, in this article, it's said that a teenage employee (Lori Drew had a home-based advertising business which was closed recently because clients left in droves) named Ashley was the one who was really behind the "Josh Evans" hoax, but that Lori Drew knew about it.

Comment

The family is being shunned by the community.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071206/...mk6C9OuZms0NUE
                                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                                X