This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuteness at work

Both of these happened today, and left me smiling through my whole shift.

Story 1:
    As I walked into the station at the start of my shift, a preschool child waiting in their parent’s car calls out “Are you a train driver?”
    “No,” I reply, “I sell tickets.”
    “You work in the office here?”
    “Yup.”
    “When’s the next train on Platform 1?”
    “6 minutes.”
    “Thank you.”
    (Punctuated behind this, parent’s urgent whispering to be quiet & stop bothering me, with laughter eventually taking over.)

Story 2:
    Mother comes to the counter to purchase son’s season ticket for his first term at school. Son is initially engaged elsewhere, but as soon as he sees what’s happening he runs over. “Hi!”
    “Hello. Are you looking forward to school?” I enquire.
    “Yes. I notice you’ve changed your hair.” That’s exactly how he said it, and it’s been a while since I saw him last. Very astute for a 5 year old - and he’s right, I had a haircut today before work, so I thank him for noticing.
    “Why are your nails pink?” he then asks. Obviously this might not go so well, as I am a big beardy bloke that just happens to enjoy painting his nails, so I think carefully before answering:
    “Because I didn’t want to use the blue polish today.”
    “You should use blue tomorrow…” (My heart skips a beat as I fear the worst. Mother looks ready to apologise for any offence he may be about to cause.) “Blue’s my favourite colour.” And with that, he’s happy. He sees no problem with me using nail polish, nor pink.

It’s interactions like these that help restore your faith in humanity. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to repaint my nails bright blue.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Awwwwww, 2 really smileworthy stories!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      “Because I didn’t want to use the blue polish today.”
      Best answer ever.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        It’s interactions like these that help restore your faith in humanity.
        I'm just going to put a couple actually decent interactions here.

A while ago a little girl asked my CW if "everyone here has earrings?" She was referring to the CWs gauged ears, with large carved wood plugs. (not sure what those are technically called) And the CW looked around and I actually don't wear earrings, so it was like polar opposite. After that the little girl nodded sagely. It was cute.

A woman and her grown daughter were shopping for baby stuff for someone else. The daughter had a bit of a 'tude, when asked about some fabric she snapped "I don't like it! What does it go with!?" And then she didn't even wait a couple minutes while I cut the fabric, she asked for car keys to go sit outside. Anyway, after she went, the mom and I had a great conversation about how people are so focused on everything looking picture-perfect. How so many won't take used free used stuff, and would rather buy cheap crap than take free quality furniture. So she was cool.

Sighting from the grocery store: A guy and I were in an aisle with our small carts. A woman comes flying down the aisle and whacks fairly hard into the guy's cart, which was a couple feet from him. (it was at night, the store was not busy at all) She didn't even pause, though she did say "sorry!" as she ran by. The guy and I glanced at each other and he said something like "do they drive like that, too?" And we chuckled.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I love it when kids come in the store, most of the time. I had the most adorable little toddler in the store the other night. He was running around, laughing and laughing, so damn cute. His mom bought him a juice, and he decided he wanted to sit down right on our floor and drink it! All the mom could do was laugh, and tell him they were going bye-bye. His response? More laughter, and rolling around to get back to his feet, then he grabbed his juice and happily followed her out of the store. I think I was smiling the rest of the night after that.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Update:
            I saw Kid 2 again today, first time since I posted. I showed him my bright metallic blue nails and the look on his face was a brilliant mix of joy and awe. Mission accomplished!
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I work in a local charity shop and we have a gorgeous little guy who comes in on a regular basis with his Mom, Grandma and little sister. When he first started coming in the shop he was obsessed with Fireman Sam and we used to sing the theme tune to him.
              Now he comes in dressed as different super heroes and we have chats about who is the best and about how cool he is and how good he is at fighting bad guys.
              He really brightens my day.
              His sister is a sweetheart too and has just learnt to wave bye bye.

Comment

I see cute kidlets on the bus a lot. I once felt a light tug on my ponytail and turned around to see a wide-eyed toddler starring at my light brown / dark blonde hair. She was of mixed Hispanic / African American descent and may not have seen (or remembered seeing) hair of that color before. Her parents looked horrified but I didn't mind, she didn't pull hard enough to hurt (and toddlers are fully capable of doing that). I let her play with my hair a bit, as I was on my way home and it didn't matter if she messed it up.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Oh that reminds me... a story from ages ago...
                  My mom and I were riding an elevator/lift in a department store, and a little girl, perhaps 4, max 5 years old was touching the incredeble soft fake fur coat my mom was wearing. The expression of the little girl was so cute: oooooooooh soft!!!!!!! The parents were embarassed, but my mom didn't mind, it was clear the girl ment no harm, but was enchanted by the softness and just had to touch it again and again.
                  No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

One time at my current job (thrift store), I stopped to admire a customer's baby (probably nine or ten months old), and the little guy practically launched himself out of his mother's arms to mine, then snuggled his head down on my shoulder, all content as if I were as familiar to him as his mom (who thought the whole thing was great).
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                    X