This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallwalkers

As requested by DGoddessChardonnay, my story on mall-walkers. Darn computer ate what I was working on so I've got to start from scratch...

A friend of mine, much younger (met him through our mutual hobby), was a mall manager for a major mall in our area. Unfortunately, he got the job just as malls were starting to lose their allure. For the first time ever the mall had empty stores and there wasn't a line to get in. The owners were worried and started to grasp at straws. One of those was a mall-walking group who supposedly just formed and wanted to use their mall. Management saw $$$ and readily agreed.

Now friend had done his research. Talking with other mall management showed that these people were so far beyond entitled it wasn't funny. They had no hesitation pulling the age or race card every time the mall tried to stop them breaking rules. Friend told mall owners this was a _bad_ idea. But the group promised to behave themselves and would bring a lot of revenue to the mall by shopping and eating.

So Friend had these people forced on him. But at least he got management to let him set up rules. These included:

1) All mall-walkers had to use one specific entrance on the first floor and would be allowed in two hours before the mall opened, they were not to ask for early entry
    2) Mall-walkers were restricted to a certain portion of the mall, which was still a pretty big area
    3) One bathroom would be cleaned early and available, the rest were off limits until the mall opened
    4) Mall-walkers were not to harass custodians, obey security and were not to bother store employees
    5) The Mall-walker's leadership could talk with restaurants in that section about opening early for them, but were not to make promises they couldn't keep or demand they open early

The group's leadership agreed to all this. They got one restaurant to open early with the promise of much business.

And the first day saw the mall-walkers breaking every rule. They tried to get in just about every entrance and got miffed when told they had to go to the one approved entrance. When they did get in they wandered outside the proscribed area and opened other doors to let their friends in. They tried to get into bathrooms not yet cleaned and walked over wet floors. Security was ignored. And the restaurant served _two_ meals the first day, and I think for the five days they tried this experiment they served less than a dozen meals total. They stopped after that and were harassed by the mall-walkers. They harassed stores to open early. Many refused to leave after the mall opened but didn't shop, either continuing to march around the mall and/or harass shoppers.

This went on and there were a large number of complaints: from custodians, from security, from store owners and employees and even a few from customers. Now the mall owners wanted Friend to kick them out. He reminded them of his warning, and that these people would play the age/race cards and threaten a lawsuit So he started filming everything. Finally he confronted their leadership and told them unless group started following the rules they would not be allowed to mall-walk anymore. Cue the entitlement, the age/race cards and threats of a lawsuit.

He showed them the film of their people breaking the rules, arguing with security, harassing store employees and customers, and everything else. The group realized they'd been shown for what they were. That Friday was the last time the mall-walkers were allowed in.

Friend was relieved, until the group went to the media claiming discrimination. But he showed the film to the news crew and they agreed that they hadn't been given the truth from the group. And further research indicated this wasn't a new group but an old one with a new name, who'd been kicked out of another mall for breaking the rules. The TV station dropped the story, which really could have hurt the mall.

For the rest of his time there whenever the mall owners had a 'brilliant idea' he would just remind them of their decision on the mall-walkers and say "are you really sure you want to do that?" Usually got them to rethink their ideas...

Quoth eltf177 View Post
    Friend was relieved, until the group went to the media claiming discrimination. But he showed the film to the news crew and they agreed that they hadn't been given the truth from the group. And further research indicated this wasn't a new group but an old one with a new name, who'd been kicked out of another mall for breaking the rules. The TV station dropped the story, which really could have hurt the mall.
    But... but... they could have done the news story in the other direction. There was already film! We could have been linking to it on youtube for years! :/
    Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth MrSmiley View Post
      But... but... they could have done the news story in the other direction. There was already film! We could have been linking to it on youtube for years! :/
      Yes, but at that point the mallwalkers had backed down, so it would have just looked bad for the mall to show the footage to purposefully mess with them. The mall just wanted to forget the whole thing. As much as we'd like to see it...

It's so amazing to read these stories. They really honestly thought that they could break ALL the rules and have no consequences. Not only that, they had done it before! I remember when I didn't even know that mallwalkers existed. The mall here opens early to allow for them, apparently. Most stores open at 10 AM, but the mall opens at 7 AM. The Starbucks in the mall opens at 7:30, and I hope they don't let these people walk all over them. Haha. Gah, my town has 12 Starbucks, including locations inside other stores.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

There's a Rick Grimes taking care of the walkers joke here somewhere...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          Yes, but at that point the mallwalkers had backed down, so it would have just looked bad for the mall to show the footage to purposefully mess with them. The mall just wanted to forget the whole thing. As much as we'd like to see it...
          This was it exactly, they'd dodged a serious bullet and letting this drop was the only sensible course of action.

They actually had footage of mall-walkers opening other doors for their fellows while security was telling them no (security wasn't allowed to actually ban people, just say 'no' and hope they listen). This caused a number of their security officers to leave as the situation was out of control and they were getting the blame for it.

There were only 2 security officers before opening and they had too much to do to babysit these people. Friend suggested more security but this was voted down due to cost and the fact that "why would they be needed"?

It's so amazing to read these stories. They really honestly thought that they could break ALL the rules and have no consequences. Not only that, they had done it before!
          They were used to using the age/race cards to get what they wanted and threatening lawsuits if those didn't work. The mall that kicked them out apparently got a lot of bad publicity out of it, the same thing could have happened here.

Comment

Sorry. It sounds like my grandmother was there.

Comment

I used to mall walk when I worked at a store there (before shift). I didn't behave like this.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Thanks for sharing this one, elf . . . just the level of entitlement alone is enough to choke a horse.

Sounds like the only recourse both groups had here at the end was to just drop the entire situation and walk away. News media can be a good tool but it's at the same time a double edged sword - had they broadcast the mall's security footage, it definitely would have made both groups look bad and made an already tense situation even worse.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The mall here opens early to allow for them, apparently. Most stores open at 10 AM, but the mall opens at 7 AM.
                  The mall near me does the same thing. This is why I get pissed when I see one of them at 1 or 2 in the afternoon getting obviously annoyed with people in their way. You had 3 hours with nobody else there to walk, why the hell wait until mid-afternoon when you know there's going to be other people there?
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

At my local mall, the mall walkers are there all day. Makes for some interesting looks and glares when I try to find a semi-quiet area to feed the baby
                    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

We call them MALL RATS.

People who go to the mall just because they're bored and have nothing else to do. And they usually never buy anything either. They just want to "browse for things" from one store to the next and they use up the entire day doing just that, or trying to start some kind of trouble, or trying to panhandle change from those who ARE there to buy things.

They don't seem to have a job...or a home life. They just show up at the crack of dawn and walk around doing literally nothing until closing. My local mall is crowded with these people. I was working on a remodel for a store in the mall just recently at one of my jobs and I was seeing the SAME people pass the store on their latest lap around the mall for the 11 hours that I was there each day.

Comment

Working...
                      X