This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I remember why I hated customers

It's not very often that I have a new "Sucky Customers" story to tell, since I got out of retail about 25 years ago. Anything new I post is usually a "Sighting", or sometimes "Cursing out Coworkers" or "Morons in Management." While I'm not in customer service anymore, and god willing, I never will be again, my wife and I do volunteer for cats with an animal shelter, and this particular organization has locations that are in pet stores. So when we volunteer, we do found ourselves around customers.

We've never really had any problems with the customers before. We don't even really have to deal with them at all if we don't want to. We're just cage cleaners, and the manager even told us we don't have to let anyone into the adoption center if we don't want to. We can say, "Sorry, we're cleaning." But we've never refused to let people in, no matter how busy we were. After all, we'd like to see these cats go to a good home, and what better way for that to happen than to let them come in and play with the kitties? Besides, we don't spend all our time cleaning. We play and socialize with the cats for awhile before we actually start cleaning. We usually do one or two Saturdays a month, and come in awhile the manager is still there. We talk and spend time with the cats, find out what needs to be done, and then the manager leaves, and we spend a little more time with the cats, clean up, lock up the cages, and leave.

Up until today, the few customers we had to interact with were not a problem. We had one a few weeks ago that thought we worked for the store and had questions about products, but a simple, polite explanation that we worked for the organization and not the store cleared things up. Anyway, one of the cages has a pair of kittens that are littermates, and they get a little nuts sometimes. These kittens are about halfway between kittens and adult cats, so they're big like cats, but hyper like kittens. And it's not uncommon for them to have their cage trashed five minutes after we or another volunteer has it cleaned and straightened up.

It happened today, just as we were moving everything out of the adoption center so my wife could sweep and mop, and I could throw out the trash. My wife said something like, "Not again! I don't believe this! Look at this! Thanks a lot, guys!" She didn't yell, although she tends to speak a little loudly, and she wasn't mad at the cats, just a little amused and frustrated at the same time.

Just as I came back from throwing out the trash, and I sat down to write in the log book (writing about the cats, how they were doing, anything cute they did, such as when one of the kittens jumped into the sink and stared at the faucet until I turned it on a trickle so she could drink from it), a lady approached us and asked if we were volunteers. My wife told her yes, we were, and the lady went on her way. I didn't think anything of it -- I figured she had a question about the store and thought maybe we worked for the store, and went on her way when she found out we didn't. A few minutes later, the store manager came to us and told her, "We've had a complaint." Apparently someone told her we were "yelling at the cats", and using inappropriate language. We're almost certain it was the one who was asking us if we were volunteers. I explained to her that we weren't yelling at the cats, just expressing mild frustration that they had trashed the cage that we fixed not even five minutes ago, and that I didn't think either of us had said anything inappropriate, but that if anything slipped out, we're sorry.

I'm not sure how much the manager believed us, because she went into a lecture about how we "represent (the organization), and (the store)", and that we need to have patience with the cats. I was getting a little annoyed with her at that point, and I told her I know you have to have patience with cats, that we love cats, and we've had many cats over the years. The manager left, and we finished up what we were doing, and left.

While I'm somewhat annoyed by that interaction, and the fact that the store manager took the customer's side 100% and didn't really listen to our side, and talked down to us like we were kids, my wife was really upset. Actually, she still is. She's been in a bad mood ever since we left, and she says she's not sure she even wants to come back, and people like that are why it's hard to get people to volunteer for anything. I told her that the store manager only talked to us because she got a complaint, and that she shouldn't let that bitchy customer get to her, because we'll probably never see her again.

I don't know if this is going to get to the manager of the organization or not, but hopefully she'll listen to our side of the story. We've been doing this for about a year and a half, and I'd like to keep doing it. We love playing and spending time with the kitties. The only downside to it is that we want to take them all home, especially the ones that nobody wants.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

I hope you guys continue, it's so hard to find pet stores that work with shelters these days and you sound like you're really doing something good. My mom works at a store that does that and she LOVES some of the cats that come in. She'd bring them all home if she cold.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Ugggg, I hate these know it alls that just have to interject themselves into any situation they come across. They've got 1% of the information yet assume they've seen everything there is to know then take it upon themselves to react accordingly.

As well, that manager is a moron. You've got perfectly reasonable people whom there's never been a problem with, but she just sides with this dumbass who came up and fed her this misinformation.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Imagine the life you'd have to lead to actively FIND someone to complain about because you didn't like how they talked to a cat....

I'm going to make a bold prediction:

Sparse attendance at THAT funeral, ladies and gentlemen.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to you and your wife for doing this. It's good to know that someone who cares about these animals is doing something to help them out. Heck, thanks to anyone else on this board who volunteers with critters!

As for that woman - ugh, busybodies, I hate them!! Please tell your wife that I hope she doesn't let one sourpuss ruin this for her. The kitties need her!

Also, that manager must not have been in retail very long, or she would know that customers exaggerate (or outright lie!) all the time.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, everyone!

It's funny, because I was kind of blindsided at first, but the more I thought about it, the more pissed off I got. I forgot to mention that even the manager of the organization refers to those two cats as "The two badasses." I'm sure if that busybody had heard her say that, she would have complained about her as well. And I'm sure she's had complaints against her from people she wouldn't let adopt the cats. We adopted two from there ourselves before we became volunteers. One of the cats, we didn't pick her, but rather she picked us. I was looking at the cats in the cages, and she reached through the cage and started pawing at my hand. They said I could let her out, and when I did, she took right to me. And we saw another one we wanted, but he already had an application pending. I was about to give up, when they told us, "It's not going well", and shortly after that, they told us, "He's available." I later found out they rejected the application because the person had four cats listed, but no vet listed. So he's ours now, just like the one who picked us.

We might take a break for the rest of this month. Like I said, we do one or two Saturdays a month, and we got ours in yesterday. The manager of the organization has my number, and if there's a problem, she'll let me know. I think when we do come back, I'll tell her what happened. I'm sure she'll understand. If the store manager has a problem with us, we could always go to another store where this organization has an adoption center. Or there's another organization we've adopted cats from that has its own location that's not in any store. That way, the only customers we'd have to deal with would be ones that came specifically to see the cats.

As time goes by, I'm finding myself more and more pissed at that store manager. She seems to think we hate cats, and I'm feeling more than just a little bit insulted. She doesn't know about the cats we've had, how we've loved them, and how we cried when their times came, especially when they came too soon. And she doesn't know how we spent all kinds of money we don't have when one of them got sick. Some of them, we were able to save. Some of them we were not. I've posted about those, but I don't think they're all still here anymore. Most of those posts were in OT, and we wiped out a bunch of old threads awhile back to lighten the load on the server.

I guess the bottom line is, people suck, but what are you gonna do? Once again, thanks for your words of encouragement!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Once again, thanks for your words of encouragement!
              No, thank YOU for taking care of the poor kitties.

Just wondering, does your organization work with FreeKibble?
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

I don't know what Freekibble is, so I'm guessing no.

Comment

http://www.freekibble.com You answer trivia questions every day and they donate food and cat litter to shelters around America. They have a map under the About tab that shows which shelters and organizations in your area receive food and litter from them. My mom works with a couple of shelters who participate (she's in charge of coordinating with the local shelters to find animals to put on display at her store, so she gets in contact with a lot of shelters and rescues).

Comment

Thank you for what you and your wife volunteer for. If it wasn't for people like you, people like me wouldn't have a loving cat with a safe home and food
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Sorry for the assholes =( And if we didn't already have 2 inside kittys I would immediately make a banzai run down to adopt those 2 juvies. [small house, and we have what seems like an unending supply of kittens dumped at our farm by assholes. We do our best to trap, vaccinate and neuter/spay the drop offs. Whenever an inside cat dies we try to figure out which one is the best socialized and try to work them into being an inside cat. Our current 2 are Jezabel [she turns 15 on May 17th, best as we can figure] and Five [he turns 3 next January 3d, best as we can figure, his mom was dumped pregnant.]
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I can't volunteer at a shelter, every time I go into one to donate food and other supplies I come out a sobbing wreck. And I don't even go into where the animals are located! So thank you for volunteering.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

The manager is a tool for believing the sucktomer and not even getting your side of the story first. Sounds like he'd already made up his mind.

My recommendation is to volunteer at another store and stay away from this clown, at least for awhile. And maybe the organization might not send anyone to replace you, it would serve him right (although it wouldn't be fair to the kitties).

And kudos for your wonderful work.

Comment

Volunteering is a great thing to do. No one volunteers because they have to, they do it because they want to. She was a busybody who butted her nose into your business, assumed that your wife was being mean and complained based on what she saw. She's the one in the wrong, not you or your wife.

Comment

You are volunteers, not employees. That manager was way out of line. Talk to the manager of your organization and tell him your concerns about going back. Volunteers are needed in lots of places to help with animals. I think the manager of your organization could make it clear to the store manager that this is not an appropriate way to treat volunteers.

Comment

Working...
                              X