This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control over google

It has finally happen to me. A user sent me an email with this in it.

Not sure if you and/or anyone else in IT has any control over how Google displays results, but .....
    To be fair, I am sure he was talking about how google crawls websites, but it is still funny.

A least

At least they are not trying to talking you into writting their sleazy website that will be bigger than Google, but don't even have money to pay you for the programming.

Instead they claim you will get it back when they get big.

My basic test is to demand $100 per hour, and if they think that is too much money to spend then I know they were doomed since last year.

PS. The green team on the Amazing race lost out on a $1,000,000.00 because he would not pay the taxi $100.00 to wait for them. You can't win big if you are too cheap!
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 12-18-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
      At least they are not trying to talking you into writting their sleazy website that will be bigger than Google, but don't even have money to pay you for the programming.

Instead they claim you will get it back when they get big.

My basic test is to demand $100 per hour, and if they think that is too much money to spend then I know they were doomed since last year.
      There's an old expression that goes, "Experience is the worst teacher. You get the test first and the lesson after." (attributed to Vernon Law)

I had a similar circumstance. I've told the story on here before, but to summarize, a friend of mine referred me to a guy, who kept hemming and hawing on money and payment. So I eventually told the guy I wasn't gonna work for free.

I kinda do like you do, now. Present an hourly rate up front.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth ringo View Post
        To be fair, I am sure he was talking about how google crawls websites, but it is still funny.
        I'm not so sure. It sounds to me like the user only half-listened to someone's description of the benefits of Search Engine Optimization, and decided that he wanted some of that!

At least he was asking, instead of simply demanding that his website be the top result on Google for "insurance", starting tomorrow, or he doesn't pay! Like entirely too many folks who mistake "bullying" for "management".

Comment

And

Quoth LoTech View Post
          I'm not so sure. It sounds to me like the user only half-listened to someone's description of the benefits of Search Engine Optimization, and decided that he wanted some of that!

At least he was asking, instead of simply demanding that his website be the top result on Google for "insurance", starting tomorrow, or he doesn't pay! Like entirely too many folks who mistake "bullying" for "management".
          Usually they are small regional companies that want you to put them ahead of companies that revenues in the billions of dollars.

Worse, they never seem to understand that when some small company has a higher Google ranking than the 'BIG BOYS', it is because they provide superior service and that is why people rank them higher, and throwing money at SEO does not work if your company does not deliver what the customers wants.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            Usually they are small regional companies that want you to put them ahead of companies that revenues in the billions of dollars.

Worse, they never seem to understand that when some small company has a higher Google ranking than the 'BIG BOYS', it is because they provide superior service and that is why people rank them higher, and throwing money at SEO does not work if your company does not deliver what the customers wants.
            SEO has changed over the years, too. SEO also involves quality, relevant content as well as meta information.

Hits are a big part of it, yes, but I do think SEO is more an art than a science, and the "rules" keep changing. Because big companies can either pay to keep their company at the top of the list, or they have good reviews, or have teams of people to come up with quality content, or they simply get more hits (also a relevant factor).
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth LoTech View Post
              Unfortunately, there are far too many who do that. Well that...and trying to cheap out on things. Then they get upset, and attempt to weasel out of paying.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
              X