This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Dollar Store fun and excitement

Haven't posted my tales of awe inspiring sucktitude from the Dollar Admiral so I figured since I have a rare day off, I would share some goodies.

1)I'll never understand the mentality of people willing to wait in the parking lot for almost FIFTEEN minutes for a store to open and then stand at the door for 5 minutes doing the pee-pee dance thinking I'll open early for them. (I can understand if there was a giant sale going on or the debut of the hot new toy but this was just a regular day)

BZZZZZ! Wrong. Corporate is VERY strict about that, you do not open the doors until the lights turn on which is 8am. No amount of staring at me or tugging on the doors will get me to open them up. My newest form of torture for those people is to count cigarettes (the cigarette case is 5 feet from the door) and ignore them.

2)Ahhh trick or treat day, when most people spazz out because they waited until the last minute to buy candy only to discover that we don't have a big selection left because well, most people plan ahead.

And can't forget about pumpkin carving kits. Every store in town (even Awful Mart) sold out of those a week earlier but that sure didn't stop people from biting my head off because we were sold out on October 30th!!!11!!!!

3)We recently had a 3 day sale from hell. We had 12 packs of pepsi on sale 3/$8 and cans of Libby's vegetables 3/$1. We were sold out of the vegetables by 1pm on the first day of the sale. Cue the old ladies throwing giant hissy fits and acting like I just pushed them down, kicked their cat and switched out their metamucil with saw dust.

We even offered to sell our brand of vegetable 3/$1...NOPE, gotta have Libby's!!!! *shakes fist* Nevermind that they were probably canned in the same factory just different labels slapped on them

And with the pepsi, you'd think I was Hitler when I wouldn't let people substitute Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc for the Pepsi price. The ad CLEARLY states Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew & Diet Mt. Dew and we weren't sold out!

4)Dollar Admiral has a bizarre program where when seasonal merchandised is clearanced to the point of sending it back to corporate, the items will ring up a penny. *trumpets* CUE THE PENNY HUNTERS!!

This tale takes place in our apparel area. Apparel with a yellow dot or a white dot on the tag were pennied out. I was given plenty of advance notice about it so I spent a LOT of time getting the area ready so when the day came it was easy for me to pull all the penny merchandise off the shelves.

Penny hunters come in RIGHT AWAY at opening on the day it was pennied out. If I had a mustache that day I would have been cackling with glee while wringing my hands and twirling my mustache when they dash back to the apparel area only to find NO PENNY ITEMS. Then walk out of the store dejected when they realize they wasted over an hour trashing my apparel only to get NOTHING.

My only hope is that they tried to speed 10 miles down the road to the next Dollar Admiral only to discover that store is the best managed store in the district. That store manager hasn't had an accidental penny sale in over TWO YEARS, she's a merchandising machine!

5)Clearance sales bring out the idiots and entitled. As some of you may know, we recently had a 3 day sale on our clearance merchandise (an extra 50% off of the already low clearance price). We sold a lot of stuff but once again had people who would bring up a cart full of crap and then hold up the line forever while unloading it one by one and demanding the cashier scan it first to make sure it rang up 50% off or I DON'T WANT IT!!!111!!!!!

As some of my customers know, I'm pretty liberal with the clearance area and if something is there and not ringing up 50% off, I'll still do the 50% off IF THEY ARE NICE ABOUT IT. But if you're going to hold up a line of customers with your outrageous demands about crap that wouldn't sell at regular price, then it's my turn to 'Stick it to Da Man' and say no to the 50% off.

The end!

Quoth drjonah View Post
    people willing to wait in the parking lot for almost FIFTEEN minutes for a store to open and then stand at the door for 5 minutes doing the pee-pee dance thinking I'll open early for them. (I can understand if there was a giant sale going on or the debut of the hot new toy but this was just a regular day)
    I run into that a lot on 4/15. I just put the key into the locak and a couple was right behind me just as I unlocked the door.
    Quoth drjonah View Post
    Ahhh trick or treat day, when most people spazz out because they waited until the last minute to buy candy only to discover that we don't have a big selection left because well, most people plan ahead.
    Isn't that the truth. One Halloween several years back, we got more traffic than expected and ran out I made a quick dash to the mega chain drugstore (W).
    When I came back my wife looked over my purchase and said, "Fun size?"
    I replied, "It was either that or candy canes."
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I once had a guy try to push past me when I opened the store I worked at at the time. I had to physically push him back and shut and lock the door to keep him out. He banged on the glass telling me I'm there so let him in. I explained, nicely at first, that the store wasn't open until 5 and even if I was there at 4:30 that doesn't mean I'm letting him in until 5. He could wait, or I could call the police. He waited.

Comment

clearance is always funny to me, clearance doesn't always mean the item was cheaper. I've had people say "this item is clearance but hasn't been marked down" I've seen tons of items where they add a cent to make it end in 7 so it's clearance (if it ends in 7 in our store it's usually clearance) but I've also seen stuff increase in price by 10 dollars and then be put on clearance at the higher price or items will come off of clearance and go back up.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

People that come half an hour before opening is my number one pet peeve! Recently, there has always been at least one person hanging around outside of the doors while I set up ready for the day. They tug on the doors, peer in and knock! Oh dear lord do these people not know how doors work?! If they are closed it means we are bloody closed! Just hold your gosh dang horses!
          How have I not killed anyone yet?

Comment

On the people who show up REALLY early -- see if your manager will let you call the cops about a "suspicious person in the area" (especially if they do it all the time). There are two reasons I can think of for doing that (no, "being an asshole" doesn't count, so variations on that theme fall under this): 1) Wanting to get into the store early to shop in peace/have first dibs on goodies or whatever, and 2) Casing the joint to try and figure out where you keep the money.

On the penny-out thing: Quite common. We did that at GameStore. It was in lieu of sending stuff back to the vendors. They would allow us workers to buy them for a penny (it's the only reason I own more than half a dozen strategy guides...), and anything else was rung up, granted a discount equal to the pre-tax total to zero it out, and then tossed out. Also, showing a sale for a loss probably affects their taxes in a beneficial manner (IANA taxman).
            Last edited by EricKei; 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kim Brody View Post
              People that come half an hour before opening is my number one pet peeve! Recently, there has always been at least one person hanging around outside of the doors while I set up ready for the day. They tug on the doors, peer in and knock! Oh dear lord do these people not know how doors work?! If they are closed it means we are bloody closed! Just hold your gosh dang horses!
              I'm surprised some of our library customers don't do that......they start lining up/waiting outside the front door at least an hour before we open.

Comment

Saw this on my store's FB page.

Really? obviously this person thinks the the universe revolves around them! employees are under no obligation to acknowledge anyone. Even if the hours aren't posted, which I kind of doubt, if the doors are locked, even if there are people inside, CLEARLY the store isn't open yet!

"Just watched three people drive up to a closed store in ____ get no acknowledgment from staff inside and then drive away. Maybe a wave and we're open in 8 mins would have been better than ignoring the customers outside"

Love the response though; THEY clearly know how things work!

"Why would people come to a store before it opens? That's just stupid, I would never do that, here's a great idea go to the store during operating hour!”"

Comment

We normally have a flock gathering outside the door shortly before opening, but today had a bonus feature. One woman was seated on her walker RIGHT in front of the doors (wouldn't have surprised me if her knees were touching glass) with her arms folded and a seriously POed look on her face. Got glared at the whole time I was working on pre-opening cleaning in her line of sight. She was perfectly pleasant to deal with when actually being rung up, but I get the feeling she found it an outrage that we weren't opening the doors at 8:45 for Her Highness (opening time is 9).
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    We normally have a flock gathering outside the door shortly before opening,
                    Same here, but we have started holiday hours, so now we open at 8 AM. Guess what? I've been chewed out because of that, too! Upon finding the special hours a woman said, "well, I sat out in my car until almost 9 and then I saw someone just WALK IN! It would have been NICE to know that you opened early!" And I calmly agreed that the holiday hours could have been better advertised, but she just gave me a look and went away.

Nothing will make these people happy.

And the OP was commenting about SCs wanting substitutions... I can't tell you how many people come in insisting that our flannel is on sale. Yes. Some of it. Specifically, what the ad says, not ALL flannel. That's like walking into a grocery store and saying that vegetables are on sale. And being out of something doesn't give them cart blanch to get whatever they want for the sale price, read the fine print. Some stores give rain checks, some say that it is limited to stock on hand.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                    X